Finally decided to commit...

3volved

• Members

So after years of being a basement hobbyist, I finally decided to jump outside my comfort zone and start playing with our church group. Sure, it's not flashy or probably respectable to most of you here, but I figure it's the best way to start playing with other musicians in a minimum pressure environment. I'm actually pretty excited to get the opportunity to expand my abilities and get thrown into the fire so to speak.

That being said, to those of you who play in church groups, what song recommendations can you give me?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 3volved

View Post

So after years of being a basement hobbyist, I finally decided to jump outside my comfort zone and start playing with our church group. Sure, it's not flashy or probably respectable to most of you here, but I figure it's the best way to start playing with other musicians in a minimum pressure environment. I'm actually pretty excited to get the opportunity to expand my abilities and get thrown into the fire so to speak.

That being said, to those of you who play in church groups, what song recommendations can you give me?

I've never played this type of music and I'm not really a Chrisian but Dave Mathews "What Would You Say?" and his live version of Willie Nelson's "The Maker" would be great. The main song from Man of La Mancha is pretty deep too.

• Members

Try some Lincoln Brewster for up-tempo guitar oriented stuff (he's a beast so be prepared to work on guitar parts). Israel Houghton for high energy rock/funk-gospel and the old standby is Chris Tomlin for worship songs.

• Members

what type of church is it? There are more modern younger churches that do some pretty rockish stuff.

I've played drums for a pretty traditional church where most of the people were older, mostly simple stuff. I got asked to back off on the electronic kit icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JR13

View Post

what type of church is it? There are more modern younger churches that do some pretty rockish stuff.

I've played drums for a pretty traditional church where most of the people were older, mostly simple stuff. I got asked to back off on the electronic kit icon_lol.gif

It's a modern Lutheran church, very new-age and laid back. I'm more suited to rhythm but the director is looking for someone that can do leads, so it looks like I'm going to dive into that as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pepi

View Post

I quit my church band when they said no AC/DC.

But Big Balls is all about God....and who can forget the anti-masturbation anthem Touch Too Much, I mean c'mon, your church must've been one of those liberal commie churches that allows for sin. Heathen

• Members

Playing in church can be very fun or very not fun. It depends.
1) does your style blend esily with others that are different?
2) are you okay with playing 3 open chords per song?
3) are you prepared to be the least loud instrument in the band?
4) do you enjoy playing somewhat cheesy christian music?
If you answered yes to the above statements, you should be fine.
Im actually quitting my church band after about 6 months of playing in it.
Theres not much else like being a hard rock/metal guitarist in a completely otherwise acoustic band, especially when the other members are particularly close minded. Even though Ive made a complete 180 with my playing style just for that band, it still hasnt worked out that well and Im having to leave frustrated and discouraged because of it.

Overall, I would say its the nature of the other musicians and the music you choose to play that is the biggest factor in whether you will enjoy it.

• Members

I play in a Christian band, but we are a band as opposed to a church group. We play about 75% original stuff, the rest praise & worship. We also rework old hymns, one even to La Grange. Play Free Ride, Jesus is Just Alright, ect... We've played over 60 times this year. Its truly fun playing so much

Archived