Car woes! Parts ad up quick!

chaos2767

• Members

I have been forced to use a performance truck for my work ad now maintenance is due and its getting spendy real quick. It is a Dodge Dakota R/T with the 5.9L and it needs tires,shocks,lower control arm bushings nd gonna need to replace the heads. I would get rid of it but it is a pretty rare truck givin the 5.9L V8 and it is a blast to drive! Just wanted to rant! I am thinking about asking my company to help me out with this since I drive 1 1/2 to work and 1 1/2 home!

• Members

Rare? Eh....sorta. I mean, its just a dakota with a 5.9. yeah, there aren't a lot out there, but its not exactly a collectors item or anything? I cringe to think how much you spend to keep that thing fueled up. The fuel size ram I used to deliever parts in with a 5.9 got 14.5 highway/city/loaded/empty. It didn't matter. Now, if you're stepping on it.....oooph.

Glad you like it though and good luck with the repairs.

• Members
Rare? Eh....sorta. I mean, its just a dakota with a 5.9. yeah, there aren't a lot out there, but its not exactly a collectors item or anything? I cringe to think how much you spend to keep that thing fueled up. The fuel size ram I used to deliever parts in with a 5.9 got 14.5 highway/city/loaded/empty. It didn't matter. Now, if you're stepping on it.....oooph.

Glad you like it though and good luck with the repairs.

Mine got like 8mpg :freak:

Ram with 5.9

It was the only vehicle I've ever owned that I couldn't fill up for less than the preauth limit on the gas pumps. 2 transactions to fill up the truck sucked so I had fill it up when it got to half a tank. I replaced it with a cheap Jetta and was so blown away by 25mpg city :lol:

• Members

Mine got like 8mpg
:freak:

Ram with 5.9

It was the only vehicle I've ever owned that I couldn't fill up for less than the preauth limit on the gas pumps. 2 transactions to fill up the truck sucked so I had fill it up when it got to half a tank. I replaced it with a cheap Jetta and was so blown away by 25mpg city
:lol:

wow dude. 8? how lead of a foot do you have? :lol:

• Members

Its the only vehicle I have that can be used for construction purposes. I can get 18 mpg if I keep it under 63 mph but thats rare and it has been re programmed and only runs on 91 octane.

That blows. Sell it. Dodges are pieces of {censored} and whatever money you're looking at now is just the tip of the iceberg. If you're driving that far get a new truck. The increased fuel mileage and warranty will more than make up for the car payment.

• Members

I am thinking about asking my company to help me out with this since I drive 1 1/2 to work and 1 1/2 home!

Say what?

Anyway, it's just a light-duty truck with a big motor. You can easily find something that was actually made for work that gets about the same mileage

• Members

They had me running jobs 20-35 min from home for 2 years then they got some other jobs 70 miles away and have me taking care of those ones now, I think it would be fair to ask them for help since I get no reimbursement for my vehicle and its 600+ a month in gas.

• Members

If you do the math, repairs always trump a car payment.

and the extra insurance.

I have a 95 dodge 2500 van for work. 5.9. 3.55 rear. 1/2 ton load minimum. Has 256k on it. Gets almost 18 doing 70 mph.

I just put a new tranny in it for 1800 bucks.

A new van would have cost me 500 a month plus another 125 in full coverage insurance. After three months it is equal.

The tranny was installed 12 monthes ago. Before that, my last repair was a water pump 2 years and 55k prior.

Also that shiny new vehicle will need maintainance eventually.

There are reasons why people say that new cars are the worst investment one can make........

My van cost me 3grand in may '05 and maybe another 3500 in 7.5 years.

If you factor in brakes/tires/shocks/other maintainance items, add another 2 grand. That works out to 700 bucks a year plus fuel in operating costs.

12 payments of $500 is 6 grand per year. Plus maintainance and extra insurance pushes you over 7 grand per year.

Getting a newer vehicle suitable for construction might get you an additional 4-5 mpg, but there is no way that you will save ever 5 grand a year in fuel by buying a new truck.

Fix it and run it until the wheels fall off.

Oh, and look into toyo open country h/t tires. People pull 75k + outta them with ease. I got 83k out of my last set. I know a guy that got 96k of highway mikes out of a set.

Good luck.

Archived