Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best low wattage tube amp for high gain?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Recto /thread.
    Originally Posted by James Hetfield

I AM THE TABLE!!

Guitars:
    LTD EC256:EMG's, Tonepros, Grovers
    Agile PS900 Blue Flame
    Ibanez Acoustic: V300CW
    Amps:
    EVH 5150 III 100w
    EVH 5150 III 4x12
    Effects:
    POD HD300
    MXR 10 Band EQ

Good Transactions: cadfael, kev324, sahlomonic, Lucius

Comment

High gain i think jet city so they make a pico valve 1 watt head

I may look utube it for myself.

Tube amp tone is best during some power tube breakup,my rebel 30 is way too loud even using a weber mass lite !

1 watt is trumpet loud !

Comment

Forget tubes, you should get a THR from Yamaha. More sounds, great tone at super-low volume, recording interface built in. Much more bang for buck and everything you want -- plus. You can even mic it onstage.

Comment

The ht5 blackstar with headphones could be awesome as well.

I suggest headphones because i use and improve nightly with no complaints !

I also suggest big drivers like the grado 90 headphones i use, the beyerdynamic 880 pro dont reproduce like the grado phones.

The pro 880 are exceptional on most other areas however.

I like your demanding tube sound, theres a big difference in the sound warmth verses crispy cold brittle solid state as i found out.

Lets face it, tube emulation cant pass for the real thing.

Comment

So many great pedals these days to get the tone you want at any volume. The VHT Special 6 is a good platform. I have the Special 6 Ultra, but prefer dirt pedals to the amp's distortion.
            This sig space for rent

Good deals with: big Idiot, crowquill, DylanWilde, twanguero, big_cat, starmansam, christianatl, nd1377, gigant0r, cmog, SweetOblivion, GAS_KING, aussy, BHz_econo, light_years, WeStartToDrift, TheQuietWilds, seblo_15, loosegroove

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ijams
              View Post

High gain i think jet city so they make a pico valve 1 watt head

I may look utube it for myself.

Tube amp tone is best during some power tube breakup,my rebel 30 is way too loud even using a weber mass lite !

1 watt is trumpet loud !

This is the only one I know of that you could possibly get away with. You can actually crank it and get a cranked, high gain sound at low vol. The others I tried next to it were low wattage for sure, but still very loud. (tiny terror and the little vox head).

But I would agree with those that suggested a SS modeling amp, or modeler thru your comp.
              Originally Posted by GW348

I just let the pee flow. The places I play, no one notices or have peed themselves too.

RIP Wayne Murray

**************** YOU CANCER!!

Comment

Diezel Schmidt or Einstein
                Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

Wow That VOX little Night Train smokes anything near it's price . Beautiful high gain at low volume!

Comment

If it don't HAVE to be tubes, consider an AMT Legend pedal into an EHX 44 Mag. Mine sounds killer. I've got a whole little mini rig on a board with an MXR EQ, OD, Chorus, Tuner, NS-2, AMT P1, and EHX 44 Mag.

Rivera K-Tre
                    Randall T2

Carvin, Gibson, ESP

Good deals with: Shredtilurded, Juggernaut, Guillatool1( x2 ), MatrixClaw, CRANK,Clonexx, Chris the Asian, Slav123, lfrz93, ldonnell89, Khoifish321, bankboy, JJPSGAK, DTorg, jdr94, Yo_Squig, coolblues309, samthinguy, MorgMetal666, Uberthrall, Duke318, Harris, Katana, mctallica1, JerEvil, GuidanceofSin, phreddy, O'Rourke, Toshiro, the4thlast1, aywilson, shask, NeoAngelo, TomCray, scottcrud,sdgails, GibsonVMan, 100 watt

Comment

How about a Barron Custom Amps Snott Watt.

http://www.baroncustomamps.com/

5 watt, all tube high gain class AB - I've heard great reviews on it. I plan on getting one if I can ever save up the cash.
                      -ESP: SS Alexi Sawtooth-Framus: Cobra KT88-VHT: FB-412 P50E-Maxon: OD808-iSP: Decimator-Dunlop: DCR-2SR-Eventide: TimeFactor-Peterson: VS-R Tuner-Furman: AR-15 II-Eventide: PowerFactor-Axess: GRX4 & MFC5

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by yamahamian
                        View Post

Forget tubes, you should get a THR from Yamaha. More sounds, great tone at super-low volume, recording interface built in. Much more bang for buck and everything you want -- plus. You can even mic it onstage.

^ This.

I use mine onstage by using the earphone out of the THR into the aux in of my larger amp.

Outstanding little amp. To hell with tubes.
                        “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                        -Rachel Carson-

Comment

! sunn model T !

great apartment amps.
                          sons of SUNN

pedlolboard
                          skullytone fx living dead drive > russian spi sanford and sonny bluebeard (((in triphonic))) Red*bear mk120 > 68 sunn 200s > ampeg v2 > your earpussies

good tranny shared with Severed Pumpkin MakuseruSukotto theAntihero X2 Dr. Doom Shamdog Bobby D Noise. . . Ancient X2

Comment

An ADA MP-1 will power any Cab to a nice cranked TV level by using the Headphone out jack plugged into the cab.

Sounds awesome and is pretty cheap way to go if you have a cab.
                            Mesa Boogie MK III
                            Marshall DSL 50
                            JCA 20H
                            ADA MP-1

Kramer Stagemaster
                            Gibson Les Paul Studio Premium Plus
                            Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony
                            Fender HM Strat
                            Paul Reed Smith SE Custom

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchtime
                              View Post

Why does it have to be tube and under 5 watts. An AMT P1 and EHX 44 Magnum will do what you want and kick ass doing it.

This.

Comment

I still can't understand the need for low wattage and disregard for the type of gain. I mean if there was a perfect micro rectifier low wattage tube head I still wouldn't give a **************** as I don't like them. The same for diezel type of gain or plexi. Which is personal prefference and nothing more anyway. VHT deliverance of 1 watt? Sure! 5150? Great!!! Marks? Excellent!!! And so on...

Secondly to go for tube gain stages wouldn't mean dick because if you go for high-high gain, dynamics is an overrated part...You usually compress enough to not care for touch sensitivity and you don't push the power section and feel the speaker damping etc...

So I think crunchtime's method is excellent. Or a modelling amp. Or a clean one with pedals. I find that valvestates (the older ones) are excellent for creating pedal based high gain sounds on the clean-CLEAN channel. Way better than most tube heads small or big.
                                "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

Working...
                                X