Thinking of selling off the Wolfgang...

chrispsullivan

• Members

...and not because I don't like it. I'm just really starting to miss the sound and feel of a simple Strat. I'm pretty sure I'd get a Carvin Bolt as I can't find the color combo I want anywhere else (trans green on ash, white pickups and knobs, tortoise shell pick guard, chrome hardware, rosewood fretboard). Not to mention I only have to pay 20% for them to start the build, which would give me at least 8-10 weeks to pay it off until it was finished. It prices out to $873, which is a good bit less than a new Fender Standard. With the killer price and payment option, it's really easy to justify. I used to have a MIM Strat and loved it. Anyone else come full circle on gear sometimes? :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Yeah, I did something similar. I used to have a MIM Strat, but started not liking it after having it for about 10 years. It needed a refret, I wanted something with 2 humbuckers, and it was black. I was tired of every lefty guitar I could find being black, so I thought maybe refinishing it would make me not want to get rid of it. I read that you could strip the poly finish with a heat gun and tried it out. Well, it worked, but apparently got hot enough to make the body start to split in half where it was glued together down the middle. I still have the neck, but I miss that guitar.

Now I have 2 Carvin bolts.

• Members

The feel is very different between the Carvin and a Strat. The Bolt feels more like a super strat than a strat tbh. Not that it's a bad guitar, Bolts are actually really cool guitars. But they don't play or feel like strats.

You said you used to have a MIM strat and loved it. Why don't you keep the Wolfgang, save up for another MIM strat on the side and then upgrade it gradually?

• Members

The feel is very different between the Carvin and a Strat. The Bolt feels more like a super strat than a strat tbh. Not that it's a bad guitar, Bolts are actually really cool guitars. But they don't play or feel like strats.

You said you used to have a MIM strat and loved it. Why don't you keep the Wolfgang, save up for another MIM strat on the side and then upgrade it gradually?

They offer a two point bridge other than the Wilky now that is much closer to a Fender two point which makes a HUGE difference in terms of classic Strat feel. They also now have new single coil pickups that are much more classically voiced than the AP11s that used to come stock. The neck profile is different than a Fender, but that doesn't bother me as I'm used to their neck carve. The last time I played one, it sounded and felt pretty similar to a Strat to me. The biggest reason I want the Bolt is the color combination and the fact I can get one made of ash for way cheaper than any ash Fender.

• Members

Bolts are sweet for sure. I ordered one about a year ago and had to send it back. I've had a few of their bolt on necks but for some reason this one was thinner than the rest. Too thin for me. I think this was right before the thick neck option. That would have made it perfect.

• Members

G&L Legacy. I found mine on eBay for less that $800

Great option also. After having both, I prefer my Strat. G&L is a great guitar and I think sounded better overdriven but I like the 9.5 neck radius on the Strat. Also, I think the Strat has more of a jangle sound to it than the G&L. Actually, a G&L 500 would be a good Strat alternative to a Strat.

• Members

keep the wolfgang, you'll regret selling it. It has something most superstrats lack, a special kind of character.

This. There's reasons beyond sentimentality that I haven't ditched mine despite not having enough strings or frets. The thing's got mojo for days.

• Members

I can't find the color combo I want anywhere else (trans green on ash, white pickups and knobs, tortoise shell pick guard, chrome hardware, rosewood fretboard).

It probably wouldn't be too hard to find someone selling a G&L of that make. Or at least one that's a plastics-swap away. It'd be as, or more expensive than, the Carvin, but I really like G&Ls. I dunno your experience with them, so your mileage may vary. Carvins certainly aren't a bad choice, though. Not at all.

• Members

I've had a lot of experience with Fender, G&L, and Carvin. When it comes to tone and playability, I honestly don't have much of a preference. I'm not very picky about it because from what I can tell making a Strat type guitar isn't rocket science, and most of the good ones are relatively similar. The Carvin is simply winning on the financing options without credit plus the ease of getting the color/woods combination I want. We'll see what happens at band practice the next few weeks.

• Members

I've had a lot of experience with Fender, G&L, and Carvin. When it comes to tone and playability, I honestly don't have much of a preference. I'm not very picky about it because from what I can tell making a Strat type guitar isn't rocket science, and most of the good ones are relatively similar. The Carvin is simply winning on the financing options without credit plus the ease of getting the color/woods combination I want. We'll see what happens at band practice the next few weeks.

I don't think tone and playability are the same. A Fender Strat is a Fender strat. It just has the tone, jangle and mojo others don't have. The mojo is the big one.

• Members

I don't think tone and playability are the same. A Fender Strat is a Fender strat. It just has the tone, jangle and mojo others don't have. The mojo is the big one.

I really don't believe in mojo or any other guitarist superstitions like that. They're all similar enough for me not to fuss about it when I'm doing what I actually care about, playing my axe.

• Members

You won't find a new Hamer at a good price. Great deals on the used. I have a Studio and an Artist that I paid less than $800 for. New, they're like twice that

I'm pretty sure the Daytona's been discontinued for a number of years. I've never seen a new one in any case.

Archived