Chorus and Delay in front of Dirty JCM 800

Faust1587

• Members

Ive read alot about doing this and after finally trying it I found how to accomplish it. The secret was having a chorus with a wet/dry signal (Biyang CH-7) turned low. My Boss RV-3 (delay and reverb combo) of course has a wet/dry signal and I turn that down low too. I should also mention I dont run my preamp gain no more than 6.7. I was wondering if anybody else has tried using effects this way. I cant say it sounds that bad, it was just a matter of finding the right settings. Of course I'm wondering if there is a chorus pedal that was meant to be thrown in front of distortion. I like the 80's if you can't tell wink.gif

I now have a new appreciation for the JCM 800, before I thought I just had to use the low input with a dirt box

• Members

Don't know why I need a loop...everything works fine the way it is. I clean up my amp with an eq pedal and change to the neck and bridge pickups, click a chorus pedal on and it sounds just as good as the low input. I got a clean chorused 80s sound without modding my amp

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by diddlybo

View Post

I run effects in front of a dirty amp with no problem. You just have to be extra careful with the levels. However, my amp is just mildly dirty, not a raging beast.

Yeah this is what I'm saying. I'm using my JCM 800 for crunch and overdrive, I'm not playing over the top death metal.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mesa/Kramer View Post
1. Take amp to Tech.
2. Spend about $200 to have a loop installed.
3. Profit.
4. Then you will see the error of your ways.

In General, time based effects sound like shit in front of a dirty amp.
Definitely depends on the application. For some things yes, it will sound like shit, for others it will just sound different not necessarily bad. Obviously a lot of guys have run time-based effects into the front of their amps with some success wink.gif

• Members

I like my Choralflange in front a crunching/overdriving amp. However, delay is a bit trickier. It's not really a problem (for me) unless I also want to boost said overdriving amp for higher gain, in which case the volume levels of the echoes gets all wonky: if it's just right for the higher gain, it's barely audible when the boost is off; if it's "right" with the boost off, the boost drives it up until all you hear is echo.

There is a fix, if you've got an overdrive pedal that can add gain without adding volume to the signal. That way, you can kick in a higher gain sound without screwing with the delay levels.

But honestly, I really prefer an fx loop for delay. thumb.gif

• Members

I do it both ways. I like things in front when recording because of the extra character.
Otherwise I might as well just slap it on in post.
Live, my delays are generally always in the loop. Unless its my plexi or Bassman. Then they're straight in.

My 800 is a reissue so it has an awesome fx loop in it.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
Love that {censored}ing amp.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by buddhapaugh View Post
Did someone invoke Zakk Wylde as a reference for tone?

I brought up Zakk Wylde, not necessarily in regards to his tone, but because his effects are all out in front of his amp, and he makes them work well. However, if we're talking about tone, Zakk's got fantastic, crushing tone.

For delay, I personally prefer it in the loop because it does work better in the loop, but if you don't have one, you can make it work. I need to get me a chorus pedal.

Archived