How do you encode your mp3's for best size and quality?

ledvedder

• Members

I've always used Razorlame set at 192kbps. I've recently been reading some things about using VBR for better quality. I have a ton of mp3's on my iPhone, so I'm always looking for best quality at the smallest size. Curious to find out what others do.

• Members

There is a certain point where the bitrate is nearly indistinguishable to the human ear, but I'm not certain what it is. VBR is really only useful for trying to save space. It lowers the bitrate at points of the song that have dead air or not a lot going in in the frequency spectrum, and keeps the higher bitrate through the main parts of the song.

Someone fact check me here . . .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TheRymanChu View Post
I read somewhere that 224 VBR is 99% transparent compared to CBR 320. What do you guys think?
meh. what's 99% transparent mean? that sounds like bad unsubstantiatable marketing blab to me.

with rock music, you can get away with lower bitrates.. but why bother? i rip everything to 320kbps as slow as i can, and don't mess with VBR. i've heard vbr is better, for some odd reason, but if you don't need to truncate stuff, why would you? just use more space.. {censored}.. disk space is practically free, and i have a {censored}ton of music on my ipod, and it's STILL not full.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tech21man View Post
320 constant, good enough for anything occasional use. Dirty confession, I don't have the ears anymore to distinguish it from a cd,
so .mp3s for me...

192-220 I hear a difference with 320, so why encode lower?
I'm fine with 192, though I don't have an expensive stereo. If I did and could tell a difference I'd try to go with 320, but for my needs 192 saves space and works perfectly fine. It might be worth comparing a track or two of each 192 and 320 and see if you can notice a worthwhile difference before investing in the time and storage space to change it all.

• Members

I understand what you are saying. I guess I should point out that there isn't a world of difference as it is for example when going up from 128 but if I had to describe it, I'd say that the 192 ones sound more compressed and smaller than the 320 constant through a good set of headphones for example and a bit less clear on the cymballs for example on a drum track. Not much but it is there on the A/B. The 128 ones...swoosh all over the place on that area!

Archived