Now that marijuana is legal in CO and WA

guidedbyechoes

• Members

I think Colorado will limit sales to dispensaries for the time being. I think the wording of the amendment left it up to the Governor how he wants to set up sales. That means that the Governor has the power to make it available everywhere tobacco products are. If the population of Colorado doesn't screw it up, this could happen one day. I haven't read about the WA state amendment yet. I don't think Coors will go into the pot business until they think it will make them an extra $500 million/year. It wouldn't surprise me to see Philip Morris or Lorillard get into business in Colorado rather quickly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by diddlybo

View Post

Its a strange situation because its still a federal offense. The Obammy admin cracked down hard on legal weed in his first term, I would assume they will continue to do so.

This is true, but there are still a ton of delivery service dispensaries. The state and local law enforcement agencies aren't prosecuting anymore, and the Feds really don't have the money to go after people who are simply growing/using for themselves. The Feds will go after people who try to grow and sell the stuff in large quantities, and that's it. Your typical smoker will now have little to nothing to worry about now that their local police won't be coming after them. It's not perfect, but it's a huge step.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guidedbyechoes

View Post

seriously though will people in jail for selling weed be released? Will they be fined? legal age of purchase? Driving restrictions? More accurate tests for measuring it in the system.

They will have driving penalties, much like alcohol. They will have to develop more accurate tests. Those in prison will not be released, because the system doesn't work that way. You are convicted for committing what was a crime at the time, doesn't matter if it has since been decriminalized. In Colorado they set the legal age of purchase at 21 and the legal amount at 1 oz. You can also carry 1 oz and give 1 oz as a present to anyone of legal age. I'm definitely going to fly to some concerts at Red Rocks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TheRymanChu

View Post

I think Colorado will limit sales to dispensaries for the time being. I think the wording of the amendment left it up to the Governor how he wants to set up sales. That means that the Governor has the power to make it available everywhere tobacco products are. If the population of Colorado doesn't screw it up, this could happen one day. I haven't read about the WA state amendment yet. I don't think Coors will go into the pot business until they think it will make them an extra $500 million/year. It wouldn't surprise me to see Philip Morris or Lorillard get into business in Colorado rather quickly.

No I meant as it is a "new" product to compete with alcohol. Also who will be able to sell and will they be required to use an easy identifier for non tobacco cigarettes? I find this all quite interesting.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TheRymanChu

View Post

They will have driving penalties, much like alcohol. They will have to develop more accurate tests. Those in prison will not be released, because the system doesn't work that way. You are convicted for committing what was a crime at the time, doesn't matter if it has since been decriminalized. In Colorado they set the legal age of purchase at 21 and the legal amount at 1 oz. You can also carry 1 oz and give 1 oz as a present to anyone of legal age. I'm definitely going to fly to some concerts at Red Rocks.

I see but there is a chance that the prison system will give them a chance for parole a lot sooner to reduce the amount of inmates.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guidedbyechoes

View Post

I see but there is a chance that the prison system will give them a chance for parole a lot sooner to reduce the amount of inmates.

They will allow people to expunge or conceal marijuana convictions. The Governor could pardon people if he so chooses. But most people don't do time for small amounts, unless they live in Oklahoma. Felony possession in Colorado is more than 12 ounces with incarceration of 1 - 1.5 years.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SnowStorm

View Post

It was funny because I was watching ESPN and they were wondering how this would affect sports and I guess drug policies sports have. Kind of interesting.

How in the world would this affect them? Both states were clear that companies can enforce drug policies exactly as they did before this passed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

How in the world would this affect them? Both states were clear that companies can enforce drug policies exactly as they did before this passed.

That was another thing I wondered about drug testing for jobs. It is almost entirely a insurance matter, but who knows how they will handle that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by TheRymanChu View Post
They will allow people to expunge or conceal marijuana convictions. The Governor could pardon people if he so chooses. But most people don't do time for small amounts, unless they live in Oklahoma. Felony possession in Colorado is more than 12 ounces with incarceration of 1 - 1.5 years.
What will be interesting is when someone is fired for testing positive and sues that they were sober on the job and were terminated for legal recreational use. Who knows how that will go.
Gee, you haven't followed this at all have you?

Ya, he a pothead redface.gificon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guidedbyechoes View Post
That was another thing I wondered about drug testing for jobs. It is almost entirely a insurance matter, but who knows how they will handle that.
you can lie to your insurance company about smoking tobacco because they don't test for it, but they can catch thc.

so they could raise your risk rating and make you pay more i'm sure.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo View Post
you can lie to your insurance company about smoking tobacco because they don't test for it, but they can catch thc.

so they could raise your risk rating and make you pay more i'm sure.
no the company you work for's insurance. If it's under a certain number of people in the company they don't test.

• Members

no the company you work for's insurance. If it's under a certain number of people in the company they don't test.

If a company wants to prohibit marijuana use by employees they are allowed to do so regardless of the number of employees. Both states are allowing recreational use but are not forcing companies to change their policies. A lot of big companies don't test in the first place because it simply costs too much.

• Members

If a company wants to prohibit marijuana use by employees they are allowed to do so regardless of the number of employees. Both states are allowing recreational use but are not forcing companies to change their policies. A lot of big companies don't test in the first place because it simply costs too much.

Yes if they want to it's to their discretion for random testing. But insurance forces drug testing upon getting hired at my company, it was a newer thing because our company reached a certain size. I work for a senior housing community ran by a financial corporation. Perhaps it's because we have a greater chance of injury than people who only do office work or it may be a state thing. But that is what I was told unless I was lied to. We are also obligated to have trash recepticals inside of parking garages so people don't have to go outside and risk slipping in winter months.

• Members

Yes if they want to it's to their discretion for random testing. But insurance forces drug testing upon getting hired at my company, it was a newer thing because our company reached a certain size. I work for a senior housing community ran by a financial corporation. Perhaps it's because we have a greater chance of injury than people who only do office work or it may be a state thing. But that is what I was told unless I was lied to. We are also obligated to have trash recepticals inside of parking garages so people don't have to go outside and risk slipping in winter months.

Must be the type of work and an insurance company policy. Maybe your company saved some by allowing these policies? Or maybe it's a Washington state thing?

Most large companies don't test because it's not worth the cost. Or who knows? That's what I was told :lol:

Archived