Test EL34 amp with 6L6s?

DiscoJason

• Members

Hey all, I've got an EL34 jcm 900 sl-x that a haven't really played in a year or so. Just got the call that the band is getting back together, so I fire it up and get to practicing.
After about a half hour I suddenly lost most of the volume and the amp got very fuzzy. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's the tubes as they're several years old, so i swapped in a known good set of pre's. That didn't fix the issue. Problem is now I don't have a spare set of EL34s. Can I put a set of 6l6s in temporarily to verify a tube issue? Or will that cause more problems? Or any other ideas what might cause this issue?
Thanks for any help.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJason View Post
Hey all, I've got an EL34 jcm 900 sl-x that a haven't really played in a year or so. Just got the call that the band is getting back together, so I fire it up and get to practicing.
After about a half hour I suddenly lost most of the volume and the amp got very fuzzy. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's the tubes as they're several years old, so i swapped in a known good set of pre's. That didn't fix the issue. Problem is now I don't have a spare set of EL34s. Can I put a set of 6l6s in temporarily to verify a tube issue? Or will that cause more problems? Or any other ideas what might cause this issue?
Thanks for any help.
If it is a 100 watt amp, you could try this (In case there's ONE bad tube)

Tubes seen from above:
O=tube
X=empty socket

Configuration now:
O-O-O-O
Try

O-X-X-O

Swap out one tube at the time, and see if it changes anything. (So that you've tried all the tubes, but not more than 2 at the time, in the outermost sockets, 1 and 4)
If you have a 16 ohm cab, use the 8 ohm output while doing this.
If your cab is 8 ohms, use the 4 ohm output.

Archived