SED 6L6's in EVH 50 watt?

tonesnob

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77 View Post
I can't speak for the 50w, but I've heard they sound like garbage in the 100w.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewto...&hilit=evh+sed
That THREAD is garbage. It's almost 2 years old, and alot of the responses are from idiots, (not all). The guy put a host of Tungsols in damned near every preamp slot too (V2-V8)? No wonder it sounded like {censored}? That had to be ice-pick harsh?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tonesnob

View Post

That THREAD is garbage. It's almost 2 years old, and alot of the responses are from idiots, (not all). The guy put a host of Tungsols in damned near every preamp slot too (V2-V8)? No wonder it sounded like {censored}? That had to be ice-pick harsh?

LOL true, but that's not the only place I've seen people say that, so there must be something to it. Some tubes that sound great in some amps don't sound so good in others. It's just the way it is.

• Members

Just biased my 50w head. Turns out I like the bias a little on the cold side (28-29ma). Adjusting it according to my plate voltage @ 34ma became way too compressed too fast and a little muddy. Now the amp is clearer and tighter. I wonder if the =C= 6L6s in the other forums were biased too high? Or maybe not high enough.

I'm just now realizing I prefer the higher headroom w/ this high gain amp. The cool thing was watching the bias increase as I played and also as I turned up the volume!

• Members

I think your bias is close to perfect.
The SED 6l6gc bias normal but can outlast other tubes so you can bias higher.
They can run higher platevoltages on amps that go over 400volt and sound different.
I think yours runs 389volts so only a amp running low pvolts needs higher milliamp like 59ma per pair !
The weber bias calculator {free on the web }at the top of page is class a/b pushpull amp so enter your pv and it gives milliamp per pair .

http://www.webervst.com/tubes1/calcbias.htm

Archived