Car guys

xcml5

• Members

I've been thinking of getting a new car for a while and think I've narrowed down. Probably going to go used, either a supercharged S2000, SVT Cobra or a new Challenger V6. They are all around 22k, with the Challenger being a little more (I would be getting almost $9000 off). Anyways, anyone have any input? Just wanted to get some different input. The performance of the S2K is incredible, but I'm fairly tall and would be giving up a lot of luxury. SVT is just brutal but the Challenger would be brand new and have every option but it is pretty boaty and slow. I've been beating around the bush for months and just want to get this done.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd get the cobra. If nothing else, it'll hold it's value better than the other two.

Full disclosure: i'm a mustang guy, so grains of salt are required.

Yeah, I just don't want {censored} to start going wrong with it. Most of them are modded to hell which I don't mind but I don't want it to be a money pit either.

• Members

Seems like there are way better options for 22k IMO

Like.......I've pretty much looked at everything.

Yes I can get a new Challenger for that much off. They've been blowing them out.

All the normal S2k are around the same price as the one I'm looking at, and it's in mint condition.

• Members

For 22K get one of these

I know this car isn't in your area, but has to be dealers near you in this range new.

You don't really want to buy a car on a 4 or 5 year loan that already has moderate to high mileage.

You'll have car repair bills more than likley down the road while your still making payments.

http://www.bickford.net/new/Ford/2013-Ford-Mustang-Seattle-Snohomish-a05202f80a0d048d00f8f6ea7c2a4bc3.htm

305 HP V6 22k new

aa0c835f8266de4f5d3a5f62e40f06cfx.jpg

• Members

I'd get the cobra. If nothing else, it'll hold it's value better than the other two.

Full disclosure: i'm a mustang guy, so grains of salt are required.

This. Except I'm a Camaro guy. The Cobra is far and away the best choice out of the three. Seems like you want a performance oriented car, so a v6 Challenger is the opposite of what you want. I'm 6'0" and have no problem fitting in an S2000, so I wouldn't let that be a concern. But there is no way in hell that I would have a tiny 2 seat roadster as my only car. Of course I have never really liked s2000s at all...

Depends on what you want, really. If you want a car that is quick and handles well, go with the Honda. If you want a viciously fast car (or one that can be) get the Cobra (find one of the 'Terminators' from 2003ish with low miles).

If it were me, I would try to stretch my budget a bit and get a newer Mustang 5.0 - you would likely get better interest rates on the loan and maybe even the remainder of the warranty. Best of both worlds.

• Members

Right? I'd love one but people are selling 05's with 70k miles for $15k+

:freak:

Yeah why are these things holding that much value? They're slow, small and look like a woman's car. You can get into a MUCH cooler car for that kind of money. Like a used E46 M3 with relatively low miles for example.

• Members

Yeah why are these things holding that much value? They're slow, small and look like a woman's car. You can get into a MUCH cooler car for that kind of money. Like a used E46 M3 with relatively low miles for example.

S2000 slow? :facepalm: They run 5.2 0-60 stock and are easily able to be modded. You can get them running high 3s - low 4s easy. They are a sleeper. I do agree it is impractical as hell though. I have looked at E46 M3 but the newest you can get is 2006 and BMW maintenance on older cars is not my best bet.

Have also thought about the 5.0 but I'd be out at least 26k or so plus tax.

• Members

S2000 slow?
:facepalm:
They run 5.2 0-60 stock and are easily able to be modded. You can get them running high 3s - low 4s easy. They are a sleeper. I do agree it is impractical as hell though. I have looked at E46 M3 but the newest you can get is 2006 and BMW maintenance on older cars is not my best bet.

Have also thought about the 5.0 but I'd be out at least 26k or so plus tax.

Maybe they will do some promotions to clear out old stock after the first of the year and you could get out the door with a 5.0 for ~ 25k. Sure the s2000 can be made fast given enough time and money, but the Mustang or Cobra will be in a completely different league given the same amount of time and money. So if you want fast in a straight line and something that sounds like it's going to kill everything in a half mile radius, the Mustang is the way to go. If you want something to handle well or autocross (is that still a thing?) then the s2000 would be the way to go.

• Members

Maybe they will do some promotions to clear out old stock after the first of the year and you could get out the door with a 5.0 for ~ 25k. Sure the s2000 can be made fast given enough time and money, but the Mustang or Cobra will be in a completely different league given the same amount of time and money. So if you want fast in a straight line and something that sounds like it's going to kill everything in a half mile radius, the Mustang is the way to go. If you want something to handle well or autocross (is that still a thing?) then the s2000 would be the way to go.

Well the S2000 I would be getting is already all done (it's 400HP). Anyways, I probably will decide against it since of its impracticality. I may just bite the bullet and get the 5.0 but I think the Cobra is a good option. I really also like M3 but like I said it is probably a maintenance nightmare.

• Members

Touche - somehow missed the fact that the s2000 was already modified. I would be concerned about reliability and maintenance costs, but that shouldn't sway your opinion too much because I would worry about the Cobra as well (even if it wasn't modified, the rears are prone to exploding if they have been launched frequently/hard on good tires).

• Members

There is going to bo no comparison performance-wise between the V6 Mustang and the V6 Charger.

Hell - the new V6 Mustangs stomp all over my '98 Mustang GT V8.

This. The v6 mustang/camaro/challenger comparison I saw, the mustang and camaro were very similar, the challenger got left in the dust.

I am also a mustang guy, which is why I say cobra :D

• Members

This. The v6 mustang/camaro/challenger comparison I saw, the mustang and camaro were very similar, the challenger got left in the dust.

I am also a mustang guy, which is why I say cobra
:D

Also anyone who tells you a v8 mustang isn't reliable doesn't know what they're talking about. Anyone who wants to factor the supercharger into it ought to remember the s2000 OP is considering is also FI.

• Members

If you are married then the S2000 is an option. If you are single and gay, then the S2000 is an option. If you'd like to get laid with rock music loving women then get the Cobra. If you'd like to get laid with hip hop loving women then get the Dodge. When in doubt, go with the V8 in the Cobra.

Archived