Any woodworkers here? Finger joints question..

Slaymoar

• Members

You can do it with a typical dovetail jig and a router. Even a cheaper blind dovetail jig will suffice. Or, you could build a box joint jig for a table saw or router table quickly and inexpensively. Depends on which tools you have and which ones are more comfortable for you to use.

box_joint_jig.jpg

[EDIT:] Forgot to mention clamps, so get some of those. I recommend cutting out some square corners and using those to maintain alignment and 90 degree angles.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MahaloVision View Post
You can do it with a typical dovetail jig and a router. Even a cheaper blind dovetail jig will suffice. Or, you could build a box joint jig for a table saw or router table quickly and inexpensively. Depends on which tools you have and which ones are more comfortable for you to use.

box_joint_jig.jpg

[EDIT:] Forgot to mention clamps, so get some of those. I recommend cutting out some square corners and using those to maintain alignment and 90 degree angles.
Quote Originally Posted by HottKarl View Post
A good dovetail jig will get you there....but they ain't cheap. Using a table saw with a dado blade would work too.
Hmm.. you guys both mention the dovetail jig, not sure how I would go about that..

Quote Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
You guys that can do this stuff is just amazing. I'm a jack of all trades but woodworking is not in my trades LOL

I do {censored}ty woodworking

DSC_0410.jpg

SideView.jpg

Top.jpg
That's pretty good, nothing fancy but its a clean finish.

• Members

I've done a whole bunch of them. My method was to use a router and a vertical routing table (I used a stand alone unit made by shopsmith).

One tip that I learned the hard way is that if you are using woods with a high sap content (like a lot of exotics) you'll want to glue them pretty quickly because they may not fit together very well afterward.

• Members

Finger joints can be a pain in the ass with ply as sometimes the laminates can fracture then your piece is {censored}ed. Screw pocket joints are pretty damn good in my experience and they're perfectly robust and much easier and less risky than finger joints. You can buy a quality Kreg jig for this purpose for next to {censored} all money. Most cabs are built with butt joints or dowelled but joints anyway. Finger joints do look cooler though.

Archived