Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any woodworkers here? Finger joints question..

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any woodworkers here? Finger joints question..

I am thinking about building my 2x12 using finger joints like this:

Any tips on getting it done decently? I'm thinking about using a router and jig.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Everyone's Here -> GUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD .COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPB OARD.COM

You can do it with a typical dovetail jig and a router. Even a cheaper blind dovetail jig will suffice. Or, you could build a box joint jig for a table saw or router table quickly and inexpensively. Depends on which tools you have and which ones are more comfortable for you to use.

[EDIT:] Forgot to mention clamps, so get some of those. I recommend cutting out some square corners and using those to maintain alignment and 90 degree angles.
    SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
    Lulu Edition
    Kindle Edition
    iTunes iBookstore
    Nook Edition

Comment

A good dovetail jig will get you there....but they ain't cheap. Using a table saw with a dado blade would work too.
      Originally Posted by Rear Naked

you have a "before" pic of your ****************************???

SPAM:
      TC Flashback Delay

Good deals: Rfaranda, Goodisonrock, Cobrahead1030, Ricky Bobby, STEEL KAGE, tsunamijesus, Dark Slide, superflyinmonke, boltzthrower, itkindaworks, Shenaniganizer, Rhammer19, downer01, Caveman Riddle, RockStarBassist

HottKarl's Tunes on Soundcloud

Comment

You guys that can do this stuff is just amazing. I'm a jack of all trades but woodworking is not in my trades LOL

I do ****************ty woodworking

MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by MahaloVision
          View Post

You can do it with a typical dovetail jig and a router. Even a cheaper blind dovetail jig will suffice. Or, you could build a box joint jig for a table saw or router table quickly and inexpensively. Depends on which tools you have and which ones are more comfortable for you to use.

[EDIT:] Forgot to mention clamps, so get some of those. I recommend cutting out some square corners and using those to maintain alignment and 90 degree angles.

Quote Originally Posted by HottKarl
          View Post

A good dovetail jig will get you there....but they ain't cheap. Using a table saw with a dado blade would work too.

Hmm.. you guys both mention the dovetail jig, not sure how I would go about that..

Quote Originally Posted by Pepi
          View Post

You guys that can do this stuff is just amazing. I'm a jack of all trades but woodworking is not in my trades LOL

I do ****************ty woodworking

That's pretty good, nothing fancy but its a clean finish.
          Everyone's Here -> GUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD .COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPBOARD.COMGUITARAMPB OARD.COM

Comment

Thanks! Probably won't fall apart in the near future.
            MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

Hmm.. you guys both mention the dovetail jig, not sure how I would go about that..

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSVzXwrZbxc
              SPAM: Buy my eBook, "Beginning Electric Guitar Design". $4.99 and available at:
              Lulu Edition
              Kindle Edition
              iTunes iBookstore
              Nook Edition

Comment

I've done a whole bunch of them. My method was to use a router and a vertical routing table (I used a stand alone unit made by shopsmith).

One tip that I learned the hard way is that if you are using woods with a high sap content (like a lot of exotics) you'll want to glue them pretty quickly because they may not fit together very well afterward.
                Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

I'm a drag queen..not Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

Don't sound like Korn.

Comment

Finger joints can be a pain in the ass with ply as sometimes the laminates can fracture then your piece is ****************ed. Screw pocket joints are pretty damn good in my experience and they're perfectly robust and much easier and less risky than finger joints. You can buy a quality Kreg jig for this purpose for next to **************** all money. Most cabs are built with butt joints or dowelled but joints anyway. Finger joints do look cooler though.
                  DCC Engineering. Custom Cabs and Effects.

Originally Posted by -Assy-

Okay I summed up this entire thread in three posts. Let's go home and beat our children.

Comment

having done a simple finger jointed head chassis with my brother in law, I can safely say that unless you're tooled up and experienced, it's a pita.

I'd much rather just buy a premade cab or pay a pro to make it for me.
                    great transactions with: pointblank73, duderanimous

Comment

Biscuits work well too. Just glue, then clamp.

Pocket screws are a good idea too. I never thought of that.
                      Good Trades with: JS90lx

Comment

using dowels is pretty easy and they create a strong joint too. The cost is minimal too, the jig is cheap and you probably already have a drill.
                        Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

I'm a drag queen..not Jesus Christ

Originally Posted by LuckisforLosers

Don't sound like Korn.

Comment

I made my own jig similar to this one on youtube:

http://youtu.be/sCPLnOtxwz8

I have since moved on to halfblind dovetails like on this cabinet:

Marshall JCM800 2204
                          Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet
                          Laney AOR ProTube 50

Comment

Working...
                          X