Peavey XXX vs 5150

slicepaperdavid

• Members

Any Peavey users have experience with both? I have a chance to get a XXX (with the front grill replaced) but I havent heard much about the amp. I will demo it in a few days but Im not sure if I will be able to dime it. Im getting this amp for brutal metal and live band use, not bedroom wanking. Can it level villages with its power and low end? Is the tone comparable/in the same vein as a 5150? Link me some clips if you have any

• Members

It is not comparable though there is some overlap. The XXX is easier to get a workable tone in lower volumes but it can sound thinner more easy due to the active eq. Both set up right just kill for me. Think of exodus cutting tone and you have the XXX, it is less forgiving than the 5150 dimed for me and way more articulate. You may like that or don't...You won't get a lot if you don't "dime it" but it still sounds good. I prefer it vs the 5150 because it really is a do it all amp, three channels with separate eq, covers more or less everything...You can't do that easy with the 5150 (having three cool sound all the time for example with the band).

• Members

A triple XXX is a more versatile 5150 with the balls removed from it. I've played a few different amps from the Ultra line (even owned a Rockmaster preamp which was killer, and it's the same basic architecture and is tonally VERY similar to the Ultras, the Triple XXX's, etc) and my 5150 cant get nearly as many cool tones, but the good tones my 5150 hits, the Triple XXX cant get close.

To me the 5150 just has more balls and more character to it. There's a reason so many more professional guitarists play 5150's, and so few play the Ultra variants.

• Members

It doesn't have the balls removed, it is a different thing alltogether. If you use an XXX correct live you'll see what I mean by that. But the 5150 is of course the metal standard amp and a bit too much in everything vs the XXX, too much bass, too much compression, looser etc. Splawn owners often describe the 5150 as {censored} amps vs the nitro for example on how the nitro dominates on stage but that doesn't mean the 5150 have no balls...

• Members

I think most has been covered.. I own both, and agree there is some crossover for sure, but still 2 different and unique sounds.. 5150 is more raw, has more low end girth and overall grit.. Triple x is a bit smoother, tighter low end, different gain structure.. If you boost the xxx(which it definitely doesn't need) you can get the compression and gain to be real similar to the 5150, but it will still be a smoother high end..

Here are two clips done with same cab, same mics, guitar pickups, etc.. One with each amp..

5150- http://soundcloud.com/wos-music/wos-...ss-surface-320

XXX- http://soundcloud.com/wos-music/world-of-{censored}-terrene

• Members

what most guys said. I've had many of both amps. XXX is more versatile as it actually has a clean channel. but for just raw tone, the 5150 is a better amp. but it doesn't have a clean channel per se (only has rhythm and lead). the 5150 is the standard for metal and rock. but I dig the XXX's too. try them for yourself and figure it out

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime View Post
I think most has been covered.. I own both, and agree there is some crossover for sure, but still 2 different and unique sounds.. 5150 is more raw, has more low end girth and overall grit.. Triple x is a bit smoother, tighter low end, different gain structure.. If you boost the xxx(which it definitely doesn't need) you can get the compression and gain to be real similar to the 5150, but it will still be a smoother high end..

Here are two clips done with same cab, same mics, guitar pickups, etc.. One with each amp..

5150- http://soundcloud.com/wos-music/wos-...ss-surface-320

XXX- http://soundcloud.com/wos-music/world-of-shit-terrene
Awesome info and tones man, I dug both but might have preferred the sound of the XXX on those clips

• Members
The drums are completely overwhelming, but I still think this is a pretty good representation. The 5150 has balls to spare, and the XXX sounds smoother and less gritty in the mids. I will say this - after going on an amp whoring spree for years and owning some pretty nice amps (Egnater TOL100, Dave Bray modded JCM800, Mark IV, etc) I have a 6505+ running through a Mesa cab with V30s and I'm completely happy. It rips. I haven't bought another amp in years. It's just a great amp and you can't go wrong with it.

• Members

Both are great amps & you won't be lacking in gain in either.

Personally I would take/keep a XXX over a 5150 due to the active EQ, the 3 distinct channels and from my experience/ear it gives better tones. That's why I have the XXX, but I'd not sweat picking a 5150 over a XXX if I were you... both have gain to SPARE. Just mind the active EQ... less is more in all motions. Too many cromags round these parts are FOOZLED by active EQs.

Derek

• Members

XXX> 5150

I had a XXX with a Marshall 1960B cab. The cleans are so much better on the XXX to me, they might be a bit sterile, but at least the clean channel is actually clean.

Currently have 6505+ Combo, I do enjoy it, but I miss my XXX. main reason I sold it was because I had no use for a Half stack and I got to where I was barely used it, so I down sized. Now I jam with a drummer and im like--- DAMMIT!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Elemenope View Post
I would say that the two amps overall are equal. Even though both of them are fucking tits.

XXX > cleans
5150 > dirt
This!! The 5150 punches you in the chest when palm muting, the XXX has more of a Grit. I like both, but for just rock or metal, 5150 hands down.

• Members
l.jpg

Like stated, 5150 for raw brootz, XXX for more versatility and much better cleans.

5150's just bring insane low mids and grinding fury to the party. If you can play one, turn it up to at least 2. Other wise its sort of a fizzy mess.

The XXX has an adjustable FX loop so make sure they are at set to 5 or higher. Turn them to 10 for full power. If you like the XXX but want a better amp overall get a JSX. Better cleans, more usable gain, with added flexibility and features the XXX did not offer.

Archived