Acoustic dudes....I need some advice.

Elemenope

• Members

I'm looking into getting an acoustic. I think that $500 would be my max. What should I be looking at?

Those cheaper Martin line of acoustics are on sale at GC this weekend for like $429. Are those any good?

I've never really owned an acoustic so idk much about them.

• Members

Acoustics are even more sensitive to slight differences in the build than electrics. Go to a shop that has a lot of acoustics, try ALL of the ones out that are within your budget, and pick the one you like best (sound/playability).

When I got mine, I thought I'd end up with a Martin, and the shop owner thought I'd end up with a Seagull. I walked out with the ugliest Taylor dreadnought in the shop, but it sounded way, way better for me than any of the other guitars I tried that day.

• Members

I have a Seagull that I would put up against anything under $1000 and they are right in your price range. The cedar top sounds amazing. It's big, warm and loud as hell. Sounds great plugged in too. Of all the guitars I've owned both acoustic and electric this is the one that has never left my collection.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-s6-original-q1-acoustic-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/seagull-coastline-series-s6-slim-cutaway-dreadnought-qi-acoustic-electric-guitar

I have the cutaway version

• Members

What are you going to do with it? If you're playing live thru an amp or a PA, you should most definitely plug in and listen to it. If you play at home, the electronics aren't so important at all.

I only play acoustic guitar on a stage and never at home, so for me the plugged in sound is what matters most. I tried out loads of acoustics and decided on a Breedlove. It was reasonably priced and sounded best plugged in to my ears.

I wasn't a fan of the budget Martins. Seagulls are nice guitars but they pretty much all have a huge neck. I initially bought a Seagull but the 1.75" nut width was too much for me. As for lower priced models, Taylor's budget guitars sound the best acoustically to me. If I never plugged in, I would have chosen a Taylor, hands down.

• Members

Play as many as possible.

Don't play ANY above your price range.

Don't look at the name on the headstock. Find one which speaks to you.

This^^^ Although I'm partial to Guild's,...

More than any other piece of gear in the guitar realm, it's important to actually play the acoustic you end up with prior to purchase. If your max price is set in stone avoid playing higher price models because if you do,...you'll more than likely end up with the more expensive guitar.

If this is your first acoustic purchase I think the most important factor is playing comfort. Make sure it feels right and comfy in your hands.

• Members

I have a Seagull that I would put up against anything under $1000 and they are right in your price range. The cedar top sounds amazing. It's big, warm and loud as hell. Sounds great plugged in too. Of all the guitars I've owned both acoustic and electric this is the one that has never left my collection.

I have the cutaway version

I came in here to say "Seagull".

AFAIK they have the most inexpensive solid topped guitars out there.

• Members

Acoustics are even more sensitive to slight differences in the build than electrics. Go to a shop that has a lot of acoustics, try ALL of the ones out that are within your budget, and pick the one you like best (sound/playability).

This. When I did this I ended up with an all-solid wood MIC Ibanez and I preferred it over the more well known and expensive brands I tried. It's been a fantastic acoustic for many years now.

• Members

Trust me on this:

Go to rondomusic.com

Click on acoustic guitars

Buy the SXFG-50ce

Best $250 you'll ever spend.

If you don't like it send it back for a refund.

But that won't happen

You might get lucky finding a used one on Ebay but they don't show up often

Will look into this..Does Sam Ass or GC sell them? I'd like to play something before I bought it...But $250 sounds like a good deal if you like it as much as you act.

Will also be looking into Seagull also...Never actually heard of that brand.

• Members

I prefer blueridge to seagull, but seagull is more accessible. Make sure whichever one you choose has a good neck so it can be set up to play correctly.

I really prefer most Deans to the Blueridge and Seagull's I've tried.

But again...it's less about brand and more about the individual guitar.

• Members

I threw this exact same question to the acoustic guitar forum when I was looking for one a couple of years ago. Same budget as the OP ($500 or less). The top four answers I received from them were:

1. Seagull

2. Seagull

3. Some Yamaha models that I can't remember right now

4. Seagull

Needless to say, I went with Seagull. You'll have to get over the ugly headstock, but MAN do they sound great for the price range. That solid cedar top (while soft) just gives it a great, great tone. As I don't play an acoustic nearly as much as my other instruments, I could not possibly be happier with it.

Having said all that, look on the acoustic forum. There are a couple of Yamaha models they really rave about as well.

Archived