How to judge my amp's tone?

lilfoolish50

• Members

So. Iiiiiii've got a question for y'allsies.

When I'm setting the eq on my amp, I am, of course, standing/sitting right in front of it. And I set my amp so that it sounds perfect--Perfect!--from where I am, right in front of it.... but I am aware that due to my proximity to the amp, what I am hearing is not the same as what someone in the audience will be hearing (I'm far more off-center from the amp than the rest of the crowd would be since my head is so far above the cone). Also, when I adjust settings, my volume is pretty low so as to save my ears... but again, things do not sound the same at low volumes and at high volumes. And I'm thinking--correct me if I'm wrong--that both of these would result in me hearing the tone i'm hearing, and the audience hearing something brighter.

So the obvious solution is to set it darker, or else listen to my sound from the audience's position at gigging volume. But the first is hard to do with any precision, and the second is difficult since my practice spot is not big enough for me to listen from the proper distance, and it's tough to try to set my eq right before a gig, since I'd literally have to stand in the audience to do it properly, and I'd then have to hurry back and forth from where I'm standing to my amp and back in order to hear adjustments......

Also. Regardless of whether you're listening from close up or far away, the amp sounds much brighter when standing directly in front of it, and fuller when standing a little bit off-center, by even a few degrees.

So I guess my question is...how do I go about setting my tone: where should i stand, what volume should i tone-adjust it at, and what kind of compensations do i need to make for things i can't help, so that when i'm setting my amp, I can hear what the audience will actually hear when I gig?

Thanks much thanks much!!! smile.gif

• Members

if you're playing a proper gig that has sound reinforcement (a PA), the audience with be hearing your amp coming through the PA and hopefully none of your stage tone ( or very little). adjust your amp for you, it's your "monitor", but be sensitive though to the situation. don't dial in too much bottom end, don't be overly loud, if the soundman suggests something, take their advice.

• Members

I've managed to sound pretty trebly on stage and excellent through the PA at the same time. And pretty great on stage but a bit lost in the mix. It is not the norm, but there are so many factors, (amp, guitar, mids, player, the room itself and the sound engineer) that you don't need to stress about it at all in the end. Make sure the others hear you and you hear them, ...it is essential to...coordinate your playing!

• Members

You might also try placing your amp up off the ground, so that the speaker is closer to ear level. Put it on a table, a road case....anything that will get it up a few feet off the ground. (They make amp stands, but these tend to be only a foot or two tall. Better than nothing, but still nowhere close to ear level.)

You can achieve a similar effect by leaning the amp backward so that the speakers are pointed at your head. This also keeps the amp's volume from blowing directly at the audience....which is a very good thing if you're playing gigs with your amp mic'ed. However, if you're not mic'ing anything, you might be relying on the amp itself to be heard by the audience....in which case this might not be the best solution.

• Members

Get a wireless or a cable that is long enough and check the tone from where the audience will be. I always try to step off the stage and check how it is sounding at the FOH. If it's a small gig where only vocals will be mic'd I don't worry too much about it because each person in the audience will hear something completely different anyway.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
I always try to step off the stage and check how it is sounding at the FOH. If it's a small gig where only vocals will be mic'd I don't worry too much about it because each person in the audience will hear something completely different anyway.
...FOH?

Also yes I should have mentioned, the gigs we play are small and only the vocals are mic'd. So I guess it doesn't matter so much?... Would still like to get as good a tone as I can.

Archived