Death Metal Guitar Battle

wrongnote85

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by apophis View Post
Trey has much heavier riffs and athmospheric solo work...chuck is ok, but i prefer morbid angel's style
That..

Death was always kinda lame to me.. But I do love Human and Leprosy.. The first death is what it is, but it's ridiculously simplistic and boring when listening back.. Anything after Individual Thought Patterns is music I absolutely don't relate to.. But of course, that's the {censored} everyone loves.. Too bad it sucks!

To be fair, Morbid Angel hasn't had a great album since Formulas.. So, he's been on a long downward spiral as well.. But early to prime era Morbid beats
prime era Death all the time in my book.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9 View Post
A challenger emerges? (Or no?)

muhammed-suicmez_18918.jpg
Sorry but necrophagist, even if technically impressive, just does not sound heavy, at least to me, the first record was fine but epitaph was a wank fest....and {censored} yeah to the Doug Cerrito comment, his work with suffocation is legendary and his involvement in hate eternal's first record (to me the band's finest) was spot on wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by apophis View Post
Sorry but necrophagist, even if technically impressive, just does not sound heavy, at least to me, the first record was fine but epitaph was a wank fest....and {censored} yeah to the Doug Cerrito comment, his work with suffocation is legendary and his involvement in hate eternal's first record (to me the band's finest) was spot on wink.gif
Fair enough.

John Gallagher?

I need to listen to some suffocation. My death metal knowledge is full of massive holes. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9 View Post
Fair enough.

John Gallagher?

I need to listen to some suffocation. My death metal knowledge is full of massive holes. icon_lol.gif
Please listen to the first 4 or 5 Morbid Angel records, Hate Eternal's conquering the Throne, and any Suffocation record up to Despise the Sun.....those are some good starting points on well written HEAVY death metal records imho, everything sounds so cohesive on them ....also if you are into fast {censored} check out Deeds of Flesh's Inbreeding the Antropophagi, some sick riffing on that one....and yes John Gallagher is a beastly player but i think the band has gone downhill since quite some time ago frown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by apophis

View Post

Please listen to the first 4 or 5 Morbid Angel records, Hate Eternal's conquering the Throne, and any Suffocation record up to Despise the Sun.....those are some good starting points on well written HEAVY death metal records imho, everything sounds so cohesive on them ....also if you are into fast {censored} check out Deeds of Flesh's Inbreeding the Antropophagi, some sick riffing on that one....and yes John Gallagher is a beastly player but i think the band has gone downhill since quite some time ago frown.gif

I'll check out the old MA. They're one of those bands I've heard of a million times as people say how good they are or how much they were influenced by them, but i haven't really heard all that much of their stuff outside of that gawdawful nu-metal album they just put out. Needless to say I didn't judge the band by that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ovid9

View Post

I'll check out the old MA. They're one of those bands I've heard of a million times as people say how good they are or how much they were influenced by them, but i haven't really heard all that much of their stuff outside of that gawdawful nu-metal album they just put out. Needless to say I didn't judge the band by that.

If you only listen to one MA record, i would pick Covenant, i miss that kind of sound/songwriting in death metal....the problem with the genre nowadays is there are some extremely good death metal bands and probably thousands of {censored}ty ones..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ENdtime View Post
That..

Death was always kinda lame to me.. But I do love Human and Leprosy.. The first death is what it is, but it's ridiculously simplistic and boring when listening back.. Anything after Individual Thought Patterns is music I absolutely don't relate to.. But of course, that's the {censored} everyone loves.. Too bad it sucks!

To be fair, Morbid Angel hasn't had a great album since Formulas.. So, he's been on a long downward spiral as well.. But early to prime era Morbid beats
prime era Death all the time in my book.
to each his own, but i disagree. GTA was downright amazing as far as i'm concerned. the riffs, the tempos, the vocals, the solos, everything was incredible. Heretic wasn't a 'great' album, but it was a good album. the ideas that trey had going on were really cool, like how he expanded on the 'the rhythm guitars don't do the same thing at all' thing. also steve's voice on that record was really cool, and also trey sang (almost) a whole damn song! lotta filler, but some killer tracks.

the later death stuff, to me, was just a natural evolution from where he had been coming from. listening from the first record to the last in order really kinda puts it into perspective. the songs got more and more progressive and dynamic with each album and Symbolic and SOP--hell even the control denied record--were just how his music was traveling.

did it get less heavy? maybe.
did it get less brutal? perhaps.
did it still kick total ass? oh yea.

i'm a BIG fanboi of both those guys, so...ya know.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wrongnote85 View Post
to each his own, but i disagree. GTA was downright amazing as far as i'm concerned. the riffs, the tempos, the vocals, the solos, everything was incredible. Heretic wasn't a 'great' album, but it was a good album. the ideas that trey had going on were really cool, like how he expanded on the 'the rhythm guitars don't do the same thing at all' thing. also steve's voice on that record was really cool, and also trey sang (almost) a whole damn song! lotta filler, but some killer tracks.

the later death stuff, to me, was just a natural evolution from where he had been coming from. listening from the first record to the last in order really kinda puts it into perspective. the songs got more and more progressive and dynamic with each album and Symbolic and SOP--hell even the control denied record--were just how his music was traveling.

did it get less heavy? maybe.
did it get less brutal? perhaps.
did it still kick total ass? oh yea.

i'm a BIG fanboi of both those guys, so...ya know.
Pretty much this.

Archived