Quick review of my new Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal.

Nerine

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll add that it's the most amp-like pedal I've ever tried.
The controls are all very flexible. The switches and modes have a wide and varied effect on the sound.
It's built impeccably.
It's very quiet. In fact zero hiss or him even at very high gain levels.
It's got a lot of gain.
The boost function is excellent
It sounds better with my 1987, in which, to be honest it sounds nearly identical to the 101b I had.
Through my Bassman, it's less nice but that amp does lend a bit of a scooped mid and pronounced top end. As with any pedal, the amp makes a difference. Anything Marshally is where this pedal will shine IMO. Go figure
It really is incredible. It's just replaced 4 or 5 stomp boxes on my board in one fell swoop.
I actually can't praise it enough.
It's blown me away.
Very amp like, very responsive, from classic rock and mid gain crunch to very high gain leads, it's all in there.
It pisses AC/DC style tones. Has that sort of Bonamassa lead tone in there too.
Through a good amp/pedal platform, this is probably about 95% as good as the red channel on the actual Ecstasy.
That's high praise. And not exaggerated either.

Check one out with a good amp. In my rig it really sounds incredible.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm trolling...

32EF6E53-B3D2-4821-A83D-5046450CB37B-166

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brady

View Post

Been wanting one of these since I saw them. I am betting they would sound great through my Shiva clean channel and possibly give me 95% of the XTC tone with my Shiva.

That's a safe bet.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ShaneV2 View Post
You sound like everyone on TGP. Hype thy name is Bogner.
So you can't say your like a pedal? confused.gif

...and if you do, you're hyping it?

I've had the Red since they were available. Used it at home, and at gigs Had the blue for a while, but couldn't justify keeping it right now. I will be buying it again once I have some cash.

I could give you a list of pros and cons regarding the Bogner Red and Blue. It's pretty much the same as when I got them.
RED
Pros:
Sounds like an amp. Never tried a pedal that replicated that feel.
Wide stereo-esque sound.
Does great high gain tones, both Rhythm and Lead.
Myriad of options that allow you to tweak it to taste. Various wide tonal (effective EQ) and gain options.
Great construction. Looks well designed and well made.

Cons:
Not the clearest high gain. Complex chords may get washed out at high gain settings.
Some have reported some ground hiss noise. Mine seems to be pretty good, or comparable to my other high gain amps.
Doesn't do low gain tones convincingly. Sounds like a high gain amp, with the gain way down.
Can be sensitive the the amp it's being fed into.
You have to change your settings to use the Variac options. Volume, and add some brightness to compensate for the "sag". (not really a con)
Expensive

Blue
Pros:
Sounds like an amp. Very good tones. Great for anything from mellow to roaring.
Wide stereo-esque sound.
Can be used as a clean boost, OD, low gain, mid gain and high gain pedal. Very wide range of gain options.
Great construction. Looks well designed and well made.
Not as sensitive to amp choice.
Cleans up like a good amp should.
Much clearer/transparent than the Red.

Cons:
The high gain tone sounds good, but you have to use the boost to achieve it.
With gain set to lower settings, the boost can't be set to 100%unity gain (even setting the independent boost and volume controls to zero). At higher volumes, this is less apparent.
For me, the plexi setting was basically a clean setting........could be used as an always on pedal, and boost for gain, but that's not my bag.
Expensive

• Members

Depends what you're looking for really.

If you're looking to turn your NMV amp into a 2 channel amp.......these will do it, as long as you like the Bogner voicing.

If you're used to your normal high gain, or dirt/gain pedals..........you'll find that these sound and respond differently. Either that's something you want or something you don't.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gary666 View Post
does the boost switch give it a significant volume boost for solos? or just a little more gain? if this could replace two pedals, I might be down for one.
The boost has independent volume and gain controls.

On the Red it goes from unity to way louder and from no gain boost, to a lot of gain boost

On the Blue it goes from just above unity to way louder and from no gain boost, to a lot of gain boost

• Members

I have the red as well, running it with my blues deluxe amp. It sounds good and clear even at high volume, blue didnt do much for me because it wasnt a whole lot better then my OD channel to spend 300 on. The red fits the bill for the hot rodded marshall type gain/crunch with a sweet top end. I was never a pedal guy, always used the amps OD. Sold off my Mini rectifier for this setup, I wanted something more modern and the leads sing so good with the red.

Archived