OT: Tea thread

BrendanO

• Members

This actually isn't a parody... that would require it to be funny or disingenuous.

I love me some tea. Started a little over a month ago. I stopped drinking, and needed a substitute activity. Soda was not an option, nor was coffee, so I decided to tea the {censored} out. Hot tea. None of that iced or sweet {censored}. Don't get me wrong, I like sweet tea as much as the next guy, but this isn't that thread.

Right now I'm just in the bagged supermarket varieties, as I poke my head around and try to get a handle on stuff. Figure I might as well try all the amps at Guitar Center before I go looking for a Diezel, y'know? Been at the English breakfast varieties, as well as the greens, for the most part. About my favorite so far has been green tea with mint. Though I do have a rooibos red tea that's not too shabby, either.

I generally do two bags per cup, and have a default of two teaspoons of sugar, sometimes less, depending on the tea. They're flat spoonfuls, not the big heaping ones, too (aka the American spoonful). But, I do have a wicked sweet tooth, so even if that's blasphemy, it's gonna keep happening. Honey and raw sugar are on the shopping list for the weekend. Would have done honey sooner, but I literally keep forgetting it every single time I go to the store.

So... who else loves them some mother{censored}ing tea, and how to you take it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

man-- love me some decent tea. we've got a great shop that sells loose stuff here in town, and by comparison to bags-- if you do it right in a porcelain pot... damn.

is there anyplace around-- even those funny 'teavana' joints-- to try out some loose stuff? the steeping really makes a difference in how it tastes- and is fully worth reading up on.. i had no idea, and usedta just chuck it in a mug... or a metal teapot... icon_lol.gif

i typically dig the black teas most, just 'cause i guess i associate it with 'tea' more.. but stuff like russian caravan is one of my faves.. i dig the smoky stuff like lapsang souchong as well for a now and then thing. theres TONS of really nice fruit/tea blends, and we've got one at the house that's apricot with something... and love that as well.

i always drink it black... grew up on milk and honey tea... and i'm just not that english, honestly... biggrin.gif

• Members

My fav is PGtips. Americans can get it in Publix in the brit section.

Milk and two sugars FTW.

I also like green tea but why is it so fkn expensive in the US? And in tiny boxes...And I think it's supposed to be loose tea and not bags.

I drink that stuff with nothing in it, but double bag it because I like it strong as fek like I had it in Japan. Fek it. I am going to buy some bancha from ebay.

Remember british teabags need boiling water and to sit for about 3 mins. Green tea needs almost boiling/hot water and dresses and harps and {censored}.

• Members

Who's significant other buys that sleepy time tea because they like the box, uses it once, makes a face like they sucked a lemon while hissing and scratching at their tongue to make the taste stop?

They all end up in my ice tea.

Le girlfriend: "The lemon and peppermint one may taste better"...sip

"SSSSSHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAA!!!!"

Do_Not_Want_Dog%20(1).jpg

• Members

Im a coffee drinker ( used to be multiple cups throughout the day but now its just one strong cup in the morning) However, about 10 years ago, I decided to try tea on a regular basis and really enjoyed it. I still prefer coffee but every year for about 2 months, I give up coffee and drink tea exclusively. I tend to alternate between various greens and blacks; Herbal teas dont do a thing for me. In the summer, Im constanly making Iced green tea with honey lemon and ginger and its practically my favorite non alcoholic beverage...

• Members

Having some of the rooibos right now, actually. Quality product, my friends.

Oh, and KC, coffee is out because I don't like the taste. Soda is out because I can't manage it. I lack the impulse control to not drink it. If I buy a two-liter, it will last, at most, two days. More often it's gone by the next morning. Meanwhile, I can have a reasonable amount of tea/sugars over the course of the day. The ritual helps keep the consumption down. Heating the water, letting it steep, mixing in the sweetener, plus the heat of the beverage itself... I can't drink two liters of tea in an evening.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch View Post
The Bergamot oil has such an alluring scent. almost as alluring as coochie, but not quite.
yeah.

I had an amp at one time that smelled like it'd been used as an incense burner. When it'd get hot, it smelled like a cross between hot tubes & bergamont icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

• Members

Hell yeah, every night before bed. Well more so in the winter months.
Green tea with honey. I have a friend in China that sends me canisters
for my cake day. Stuff is awesome! Wu Bai Gang is the only name
I can read on the cans. Anyway, I'll use Lipton and Salada green tea bags
as well, but it's hard to imagine it's even the same product in comparison.

Archived