• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus

View Post

Got my THR 10 last week! Love it. icon_lol.gif

I've had My THR10 for six weeks now.

I love that little amp, it sounds so nice that it's hard to stop playing.

One hell of a little take anywhere amp. If it had an XLR out I would use it at my gigs.

• Members

Blackstar HT-60 for modern stuff.. with aid of Digitech RP in the loop for better volume control.. 8 of 100 etc late at night.. sounds better to me than THR10.

I use THR10 for low volume tubey tones, blues, classic rock stuff.. don't like the hi gain tones as much on the THR but they are ok. The other thing is no footswitch for fast gain or clean tone switching but for those tones, you can use volume knob. Love the Plexi model..

• Members

I use a trademark 10, which boosted sounds great for everything metal but I think it will be not your cup of tea.

Englund from feared did a mg15-mustang-vypyr metal trio clips recently, by micing them and not direct.

I think the vypyr was 10x the better choice for these types of sounds. The 15 doesn't have the distortion box emulation of the 30-75 and has an 8 inch speaker but I wouldn't care for those at home, you can boost with a real pedal better and you can slave it to your 2x12 combo anyway.

[video=youtube;fNJk-4cgyxE]

What I don't like personally in those digital amps be them small or big is the "feel" as if there is no immediacy in the connection between your fingers, guitar speaker etc. But the vypyr has an analog (transtube) distortion engine and power amp, digital eq and effects if that helps. The tech21 slays them in this department regardless if it reminds you a tube or not for me.

Also if it is pure modelling you are after with headphones the zoom g3 is excellent with its looper and drum machine, you hook up with headphones and batteries and you can jam easily, without a pc or anything for loops. And it costs little used and you can use that with the peavey for effects/eq anytime.

• Members

I just use my Marks on "Class A", with the master really low. I get a decent amount of saturation, without feeling like the amp is holding back. I was given a tiny little Orange solid state combo amp (it's around 4 inches square), but it sucks. Just find a way to attenuate your rig enough to get the dynamics of your playing at lower volumes.

Not the best advice for new gear, I know, but if you were looking to purchase something, try anything that has a 12AX7 preamp. That way, you can approximate the "feel" of your main rig, while using the solid-state power amp to keep the volume reigned-in.

Archived