Genetic origins of intellicence

Rear Naked

• Members

So certain genetic mutations occurred which lead to a comparative advantage being developed, thus leading to higher reproductive rates of offspring who also hold the gene?

That's pretty much the basis for genetic evolution. Good article though thumb.gif

EDIT: I think it's interesting that higher intelligence is linked with higher rates of mental illness. More sophisticated brains = more {censored} to go wrong?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by zehn

View Post

So certain genetic mutations occurred which lead to a comparative advantage being developed, thus leading to higher reproductive rates of offspring who also hold the gene?

That's pretty much the basis for genetic evolution. Good article though thumb.gif

Bruh I think you missed the point.

• Members

View Post

EDIT: I think it's interesting that higher intelligence is linked with higher rates of mental illness. More sophisticated brains = more {censored} to go wrong?

Yup, think of it like a Fender Princeton vs. a Mesa Roadking. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

I guess idn_smilie.gif I wasn't trying to be a dick

EDIT: OP article is trolling?

What is interesting is not the general idea that intelligence has genetic origins, its the specifics.

This is cool part:

The research team studied the mental abilities of mice and humans, using comparative tasks that involved identifying objects on touch-screen computers.

Researchers then combined results of these behavioural tests with information from the genetic codes of various species to work out when different behaviours evolved. (500MY ago)

They found that higher mental functions in humans and mice were controlled by the same genes.

The study also showed that when these genes were mutated or damaged, they impaired higher mental functions.

"Our work shows that the price of higher intelligence and more complex behaviours is more mental illness," said Professor Grant.

• Members

View Post

Thats why I posted Gooby cop.gif

• Members

The study also showed that when these genes were mutated or damaged, they impaired higher mental functions.

They needed a study to figure this out?

No wonder we're in such a mess when much of the world puts their faith in "findings" like these that take months and/or years and millions of dollars.

• Members

I read something several months ago about something like this. Not this specific study, but it was mentioned that our intelligence was an accident. Actually, the whole human species is a genetic accident.

Well...of course it was an "accident"

That is not a very profound statement.

The cool thing is the specifics: What genes they where, and exactly when they were duplicated in an ancient species to provide the basis for the evolution of intelligence. Its not just that intelligence was genetic and evolved. No {censored} you goobers.

• Members

They needed a study to figure this out?

No wonder we're in such a mess when much of the world puts their faith in "findings" like these that take months and/or years and millions of dollars.

as opposed to giving churches tax-free status :cop:

Archived