New boutique vs. vintage

boonestunes

• Members

Probably going to sink some $$$ into another amp after the new year. Something fender-ish. It'll be a workhorse, get gigged every weekend....

Looking at prices of vintage (blackface era) fenders and modern boutique stuff, looks to be very comparable.

So I'm looking for opinions....keep in mind, dependability, resale value, etc.

New boutique hand wired or vintage fender?

• Members

There's two main things to consider IMO when it comes to a question of vintage vs new custom.

1; resale value. Generally speaking, you will not get back the money you invest in a custom amp.

2; Reliablilty. IMO a quality custom/boutique amp is going to be much more reliable and have less maintainence cost.

Weigh those two things out and your decision should be made. If you plan to keep this amp forever, a custom/boutique is the better choice IMO. If you plan to sell it sooner or later, get the vintage amp...

• Members

i'd look new.

for blackface-style amps, i'd check out tone king amps.

http://www.toneking.com/products/index.html

for tweed style, and more vintage correct, i'd check out

victoria amps (great handwired build and vintage correct)

http://www.victoriaamplifier.com/

OR

clark amps

http://www.clarkamplification.com/

for tweed style but with a modern twist, check out swart. (i like swart for tweed stuff. the AST is a sick sick amp.)

http://www.swartamps.com/

• Members

IMO, the best thing about boutique amps is they sell for cheap on the used market. I would buy a used blackface styled boutique amp and work it to death. I have an Allen Accomplice, which is based on BF Fender amps and its built like a tank. Its one of my workhorse amps.

• Members

Vintage. Old Fenders are a bargain compared to new boutique stuff.

I've seen blackface pro reverbs in workhorse shape for ~$1500 lately and Twins/Deluxe reverbs for $2k. Heck drip rail Supers for ~$1000...

Nothing against boutique stuff but those old Fenders are beasts and easily on par with anything 'boutique'.

• Members

a "vintage" (the {censored} does that mean, anyway?) amp is going to be just as reliable as a new one IF the wear items are replaced...filter caps, vibrato roach, etc. for me to completely go through something like an old twin is less than $500 with new tubes, and it'll be as reliable as an electronic device can be.

the prices on some of the new fender clones (booteeek) are ridiculous.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

View Post

Vintage. Old Fenders are a bargain compared to new boutique stuff.

I've seen blackface pro reverbs in workhorse shape for ~$1500 lately and Twins/Deluxe reverbs for $2k. Heck drip rail Supers for ~$1000...

Nothing against boutique stuff but those old Fenders are beasts and easily on par with anything 'boutique'.

You do make a good point, the vintage stuff is as cheap as I've ever seen it. Here is good example of what you're talking about on our local CL. This could definitely be a workhorse.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/3444530931.html

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by diddlybo

View Post

You do make a good point, the vintage stuff is as cheap as I've ever seen it. Here is good example of what you're talking about on our local CL. This could definitely be a workhorse.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/3444530931.html

I picked one of those up last year for $350 in near mint condition. $50 to have a 3 prong installed and it works like new.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by boonestunes

View Post

Probably going to sink some $$$ into another amp after the new year. Something fender-ish. It'll be a workhorse, get gigged every weekend....

Looking at prices of vintage (blackface era) fenders and modern boutique stuff, looks to be very comparable.

So I'm looking for opinions....keep in mind, dependability, resale value, etc.

New boutique hand wired or vintage fender?

Between these 2 options I'd say an old Fender is your best bet.

But also look into new Fenders, you can find a DRRI for great prices all the time and if that's not a workhorse amp, I don't know what is.

I don't like boutique anything so I would stay away from that.

• Members

i'm ok. my drummer is an Electrical Engineer, does some repairs on our amps. I'm sure between the two of us, we could knock it out. The guy who built my guitar for me has been wanting to make me a cabinet out of some nice figured walnut........ might be an option...

• Members

Honestly I'd just wait til you've got the cash, and see what kinda deal you find on an amp that speaks to you...

Some of the newer boutique amps that sound great & are built like tanks can sell pretty cheap used, typically they'll be in great shape...you just don't see a ton of em.

Vintage fenders etc. are always around, but prices are going to be all over the place as is condition.

• Members

The only thing I would worry about in terms of gigging a vintage amp is not reliability as much as wear and tear. If you're buying something that's in good cosmetic condition, that's going to be a factor in the price. If you're taking it out every weekend it's going to get damaged, scuffed etc, and that's going to hurt the value of it.

Of course, if it's something you think you'll have forever and don't envision selling, then go for it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahead1030

View Post

Honestly I'd just wait til you've got the cash, and see what kinda deal you find on an amp that speaks to you...

Some of the newer boutique amps that sound great & are built like tanks can sell pretty cheap used, typically they'll be in great shape...you just don't see a ton of em.

Vintage fenders etc. are always around, but prices are going to be all over the place as is condition.

truth. I did that when I was looking for my Super, waited a long time until one came along that I could afford, and aside from the volume issues i've been very happy with it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules

View Post

The only thing I would worry about in terms of gigging a vintage amp is not reliability as much as wear and tear. If you're buying something that's in good cosmetic condition, that's going to be a factor in the price. If you're taking it out every weekend it's going to get damaged, scuffed etc, and that's going to hurt the value of it.

Of course, if it's something you think you'll have forever and don't envision selling, then go for it.

well, my super is my #1 gigging amp right now. It's a '65, somewhere between the CBS takover and the introduction of the silverfaces..... (faceplate is old fender, tube chart is post CBS, dates check out. It has some cosmetic issues. It has been modded pretty extensively before I got it: new transformer (8 ohm), vibrato circuit disengaged. Baffle board changed, had a 15" in it when I got it , and I put in a 2-12 baffle. Had it checked out by a reliable tech and now it gets a workout 4 nights a week. It's a little loud, and I get ragged on by soundmen and club owners. But honestly, I don't run it any louder than the other guitarist runs his Deluxe...... Vintage enough to sound really cool, but not so pristine that I worry about taking it out. I thought about buying another cab to put it in, just to save the '65 cabinet, but there's a little mojo in that cab and I think I'll just keep running it.

• Members

Contemporary built clones from respected but not overblown builders are a great way to go. Some of the "boutique" builders are smoking crack. I'm not a Fender guy so I can't help with specifics but if it's a workhorse gigging type amp either a nice clone or a vintage that's been maintained would be my choice. I'm not a fan of modern amp construction if it's gonna be banged around because it's not super serviceable. That's just me, although some companies do it very right with flying leads and chassis mounted pots and jacks and whatnot.

• Members

Personally, I would buy Vintage. All my amps over 20 year old are not only reliable, they're a fraction of the cost of new designs. The whole reason why a manufacturer would offer a RI of a vintage amp is because the vintage amp was that good to begin with. Plus, with the vintage amp, you may actually score vintage working tubes, which has always been "the icing on the cake" for me personally.

The only appeal of a new instrument (whether it be amps, guitars, pedals, ect.) is he fact that they usually come with some type of lifetime warranty. This is a huge plus, but I've learned the hard way, the phrase "they don't make them like they used to" had to have been coined when someone tried to buy a Gibson...

• Members

play both, see what you like.

honestly-- you don't look at it when you play.. you play it, and if it sounds good... find a circuit you like and see what fits, so play everything, and see what's available in that flavor.

Pretty much this^^^, but it's hard not to look.

Archived