Considering swapping out speakers in my 1960B

AdrianPOA

• Members

I recently sold my Carvin Legacy 4x12 with V30s, so now I am down to just my Marshall 1960B. I love the low end thump of the Celestion G12T-75s, but I miss the mid cut of the V30s that were in my Carvin. However, the highs on the V30 can get pretty harsh IMO. Anyway I keep hearing how great G12K-100s are for high gain tones, and that they more or less combine the best qualities of the G12T-75s and the V30s. I want powerful low end, cutting mids, and a high end that's not too harsh. Is this the speaker I should look into? I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks guys!

• Members

Yes, coming from someone who owns cabs with all three speakers, they are exactly what you want. The only downside really to GK100s is they are so powerful and can handle so much lowend that they can sound very cold unless your really pushing your amp. If you want to do high gain, high volume brootz though, look no farther.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Horrible

View Post

Yes, coming from someone who owns cabs with all three speakers, they are exactly what you want. The only downside really to GK100s is they are so powerful and can handle so much lowend that they can sound very cold unless your really pushing your amp. If you want to do high gain, high volume brootz though, look no farther.

Heh, well I HATE playing my amps at low volume anyway, so that factor doesn't affect me. You're one of the dudes whose ear for tone I highly value on here, so thanks for being the first to reply. thumb.gifsmile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules View Post
You could also put to V30s in your cab in an X pattern.

Best of both worlds.
True, but the big downside to that is a situation where you're playing live and only allowed one mic for your cab. I dug the rhythm tone I was getting with V30s, but I could never get a lead tone I was 100% happy with using that speaker (too harsh in the highs). The lead tones I have dialed in with the 75s are smooth and not brittle, but the rhythms are a bit scooped. I think the K-100s can give me the best of both worlds from those speakers.

• Members

scumback m75s & k100s are the best combo i have ever heard. its like the perfect crunch but perfectly clear too and plenty of bass. drew recommened it and i was skepitcal at first but having heard it and all his sweet demos i am not sure why i doubted him. amazing combo of speakers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sleewell

View Post

scumback m75s & k100s are the best combo i have ever heard. its like the perfect crunch but perfectly clear too and plenty of bass. drew recommened it and i was skepitcal at first but having heard it and all his sweet demos i am not sure why i doubted him. amazing combo of speakers.

Cool beans. Pardon my lack of knowledge of Scumback, but they're supposed to be constructed similarly to UK made Celestion 75s, correct?

• Members

yeah man, i think so. they come in various power ratings too, their website has some awesome clips that are not hyped at all.

i'll be posting some {censored}tier clips here later this week but paired up with someone who can actually play these speakers are deadly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

Yup, sounds to me like you want k100s. If youre gonna buy them new, give avatar a call. They get so many that they can sell them at really good prices.

Yeah, I was hoping they sell speakers individually, as their pricing in general can't be beat. Thanks for the tip! thumb.gif

• Members

In the odd man out here , because I didn't like the K100s when I tried them. To me , they sounded like T75 , just more of it. More low end , more scoop and more of that T75 high end that I just don't like. To me , it sound like you want V30s , you just want well broken in V30s. I've found that high end harshness completely disappears when they are broken in and what is left is the perfect guitar speaker IMO.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AdrianPOA View Post
Yeah, I was hoping they sell speakers individually, as their pricing in general can't be beat. Thanks for the tip! thumb.gif
They actually give you a better deal when you buy multiple speakers, too. I remember those things were going for 125 each. I bought a pair from them for 204 shipped in like 2005/2006.

Also, just bought a pair of legend V12s from them for 135 shipped....for speakers that are usually 75 a piece new.

• Members
I recently sold my Carvin Legacy 4x12 with V30s, so now I am down to just my Marshall 1960B. I love the low end thump of the Celestion G12T-75s, but I miss the mid cut of the V30s that were in my Carvin. However, the highs on the V30 can get pretty harsh IMO. Anyway I keep hearing how great G12K-100s are for high gain tones, and that they more or less combine the best qualities of the G12T-75s and the V30s. I want powerful low end, cutting mids, and a high end that's not too harsh. Is this the speaker I should look into? I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks guys!
Eminence Lynch Super V12. Big lows. Nice mids. Not harsh or brash on the top . Cut thru good.

A dude in the classified section has 2 of em. Id snag em if I had the $$.

Only thing, is that they only come in 8ohm.

You need longer screws for them as well.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Norton666

View Post

In the odd man out here , because I didn't like the K100s when I tried them. To me , they sounded like T75 , just more of it. More low end , more scoop and more of that T75 high end that I just don't like. To me , it sound like you want V30s , you just want well broken in V30s. I've found that high end harshness completely disappears when they are broken in and what is left is the perfect guitar speaker IMO.

Here's the thing - I owned that Legacy cab for two years, and I had already bought it used. I spent many of hours jamming on it. The cab sounded great to my ears when just jamming at home or with a band. Then once I started getting into recording, I could hear that V30 harshness that everyone talks about when I would cut a solo on a track.

• Members
True, but the big downside to that is a situation where you're playing live and only allowed one mic for your cab. I dug the rhythm tone I was getting with V30s, but I could never get a lead tone I was 100% happy with using that speaker (too harsh in the highs). The lead tones I have dialed in with the 75s are smooth and not brittle, but the rhythms are a bit scooped. I think the K-100s can give me the best of both worlds from those speakers.
If you were to go that route, I'd love to find someone willing
to trade 2 V-30's for 2-75's, in 8ohm.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

For the amount of dough you'd put into replacing the speakers, why not wait it out a bit and find a cab already loaded with k100's, and keep your 1960? I could never not have a 1960 w/ 75's. love.gif

I hated 75's for a long time. All I tried em with were Marshall 2203's & Marshall 1959's . After trying them with some old school Orange amps, and some Randalls, I realized they werent so bad.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt

View Post

You might like Celestion Classic Lead 80's / Mesa Black Shadow MC 90's (same speaker) too. Sorta like a V30, but more neutral than a V30, and not as scooped in the middle & harsh on the top, like a T75 is.

I haven't tried the K100 yet and I will, but the CL80 or WGS BL80 (which is what I have) are fantastic. I went through V30 and T100(75), as well as some others, before landing on the BL80 and it's the speaker that continues to make me smile with each passing day.

Archived