EVH 5150 III What Speaker Cab/Speakers?

twangr

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

Yeah, might as well just load your 412. Ive heard theyre picky about speakers and work best with whatever comes in the matching cabs...

Thanks. I thought about a matching cab but Mr. Wallet fell on the floor laughing at me. I'm thinking loading the old 1960a will be the way to go with a 4x12,

• Members

Thanks all! I'm not a fan of the G12T75 unless they're under assault by a plexi head. So for this they were pretty much out of the question anyway. Thanks also for the tips on what's inside the EVH cabs.

I want to be able to get the widest array of tones from the clean and crunch channels as possible. The third channel will be used also but probably not quite as often as the first 2. I'm accustomed to using a Fender Twin for clarity and and a distinct voice in the band. We don't play at volumes where I necessarily need to "cut through" so I have the leisure of shaping a more distinct voice. For me clarity (distinct notes) along with a higher gain structure are why I chose the 5150 III. That and it fit my budget. Distortion pedals, though helpful, just don't really give me the tones I want. I like the natural distortion of tubes and less clutter on the floor. I also did not want to spend bucket loads of time and money on finding the speakers that will work best with the 5150 III. So, again, thanks for all the help!

• Members

Just got a 50 watter...played it through my Mesa 2x12 with V30s and it was great. I just got the EVH 2X12 cab in today and I think (big surprise I suppose) it matches very well with the amp. Interestingly, the EVH 2X12 is very similiar to the Recto 2X12 in size, shape and weight. Its a really cool cabinet.

8254100086_5b5df48a3e_z.jpg

• Members

Only yourself can judge whats best for your style and ears !
Myself i prefer the eminence wizard for crunch on 6l6 amps, nice strong bottom end with beautiful upper harmonics .
Experimenting with the wizard and pairing it with a tonker which only has great juicy midrange imop works for me !

Archived