8-string players... any tips on where to begin?

Kerouac

• Members

I've got a Damien Elite (thanks to Loop's recommendation) coming for Christmas and would like to start checking out instructional materials in preparation. I've watched some of Tosin Abasi's clinic videos and I've also signed up over at SevenString.org, but I'd love to hear any tips you guys have!

• Members

I started by just playing regular six string tunes I'd written over the years on it, just tossing an odd run of lower notes in here or there. Didn't take long to start using the extra range as a regular matter of course.

Then I dicked with different tunings for ages.

Then I went back to "standard" tuning (if any tuning can be called standard in 8 string land). Then I tuned up. Then back to standard.

But, yeah, it pretty much just boils down to playing it and seeing what's what.

• Members
icon_lol.gif jk

Kerouac, I haven't got a chance to play an 8 string but see a lot of 8 stringers focus on the 2nd lowest string and use the low string kind of like a 5 string basser often uses the 5th string, for passing tones, or to emphasize certain chords. When I started getting into 7 string I started by using the low string to add to what I was already doing in standard tuning. And then when I started focusing on the 7th string more I tuned that string down to drop A and started using it for big chords like 4 and 5 note power chords with an extra 5th and/or octave on top for a huge sound, experimenting with grindy sounding inversions, chords that skip the root note but have a low 5ths or 3rds, etc.

I would start with slowly incorporating 8 string into what you already know and finding places to fit the extra strings in.

Oh and I would make sure you have something REALLY beefy on the bottom 2 strings. I don't know if they even have 8 string sets or if you have to go the custom route but IMO, the low string in 7-string sets are never really thick enough to really sound good and clear enough and it might be the same with with 8 string sets, if they even have those. Good luck

• Members

8 string pre-packaged sets SUCK BALLS in standard tunings. Absolutely worthless. As much as you hear it preached on sevenstring's extended forum, go circle-k. Worth it. Labella's are alright, circle-ks are better at feeling heavier than they are. .080 on mine with Labella feels a little loose yet, feels fine if I'm using circle-k.

Archived