Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey XXX absolutely SLAYS!!

Had a chance to open it up today and Im blown away with the tone of this thing. I've owned two Mesa/Boogies including a Mark III head w/ the graphic EQ and neither touched the brutality and most importantly the fun factor this amp has. Running a Foxx Tone Machine clone in front of the the crunch channel is Doom/Stoner heaven.

Sweet looking cabs
    Originally Posted by Jesse G

EMG's are like McDonald's cheeseburgers of the pickup world

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by slicepaperdavid
      View Post

Had a chance to open it up today and Im blown away with the tone of this thing. I've owned two Mesa/Boogies including a Mark III head w/ the graphic EQ and neither touched the brutality and most importantly the fun factor this amp has. Running a Foxx Tone Machine clone in front of the the crunch channel is Doom/Stoner heaven.

I love the Ultra/Ultra plus/XXX/3120 amps.
      Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

It's cool...you don't have to have any idea what you're talking about to post here.

It's alright.

Originally Posted by Wizard of Ozz

I've owned at least 50 Marshalls...

Comment

I wish I'd have gotten one instead of the JSX. They're fairly similar but the XXX is a better amp IMO. But hey... that was years, and two dozen or more amps ago lol.
        Originally Posted by Elemenope

You get 1 free punch...They can't hit you back..Call the cops..Anything. Who??

Originally Posted by RSBro

madryan

Rack building thread...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ies-rig...-Pix

Amp Packing Tutorial

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ial&highlight=

Comment

I'm digging my 212 combo version. Prolly should've made a NAD thread for it when it came in, but never got around to it. Really sweet amp though.
          Guitars:
          Schecter Diamond Series S-1
          Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
          Schecter Damien Elite 8
          B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Tribute Stealth
          B.C. Rich Mockingbird Special X
          Fender MIM Standard Telecaster
          LTD B-5E
          Peavey Raptor Plus

Amps:
          Laney Ironheart IRT60H
          Engl Gig Master 15
          Peavey XXX 212
          Roland Cube 30
          Vox AC4TV Mini
          Acoustic B200H
          Behringer Blue Devil 1x12

Comment

My only beef with them is the whole series of amps which share similar topology (basically the ultra series) are fairly compressed. They're high gain monsters but they're not the most versatile for styles other than heavy or hard rock.

Good sounding amps tho.
            Originally Posted by Elemenope

You get 1 free punch...They can't hit you back..Call the cops..Anything. Who??

Originally Posted by RSBro

madryan

Rack building thread...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ies-rig...-Pix

Amp Packing Tutorial

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ial&highlight=

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by madryan
              View Post

My only beef with them is the whole series of amps which share similar topology (basically the ultra series) are fairly compressed. They're high gain monsters but they're not the most versatile for styles other than heavy or hard rock.

Good sounding amps tho.

There's other styles?

Really though, I don't need versatility for the $300 I paid for mine. Great deals to be had on 'em, probably one of the most underrated metal amps on the market.
              Guitars:
              Schecter Diamond Series S-1
              Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
              Schecter Damien Elite 8
              B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Tribute Stealth
              B.C. Rich Mockingbird Special X
              Fender MIM Standard Telecaster
              LTD B-5E
              Peavey Raptor Plus

Amps:
              Laney Ironheart IRT60H
              Engl Gig Master 15
              Peavey XXX 212
              Roland Cube 30
              Vox AC4TV Mini
              Acoustic B200H
              Behringer Blue Devil 1x12

Comment

View Post

I wish I'd have gotten one instead of the JSX. They're fairly similar but the XXX is a better amp IMO. But hey... that was years, and two dozen or more amps ago lol.

Meh..fail..JSX is the goodest
                Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby

Imma rape you first, drak.

With the fury of 1000 white man aids.

Comment

I take it you like the foxx fuzz clone , since if im looking for a fuzz , who has the foxx fuzz clone ?

Comment

Some people pay that much for *dare I say overrated?* pedals...300$ is a steal.

Exlcude that, take out the circuit and put it on a "boutique style" headshell with black faceplate and white chickenhead knobs or something and take out the peavey logo? I'd bet there would be people paying a lot more for this amp based on the result alone, it is a good amp!
                    "is this tone obtainable using the HD500 or Axe Fx? Overall, for convenience and volume control, should I buy the Axe Fx over actual tube amps? I don't plan on playing loud; just playing at home and recording on my Mac. Thanks man, you are awesome!

short answer: no...

long answer: no way..."

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by zehn
                      View Post

Sweet looking cabs

Thank you!

Comment

View Post

Good sounding amps tho.

Hitting the clean channel with a tubescreamer yields some nice low gain textures

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ijams
                          View Post

I take it you like the foxx fuzz clone , since if im looking for a fuzz , who has the foxx fuzz clone ?

JOYO Ultimate Octave, great sounding pedal for cheap

Comment

Agreed. My first tube amp was a XXX then I went through ~20 other "higher end" amps and now I'm back to the XXX. I say bollocks to those who say it isn't versatile.

Comment

View Post

Good sounding amps tho.

I agree with you on this one. I couldn't get decent low gain tones to save my life when I had it. Granted my first two real amps were a Triumph 120 and a XXX, and I had a steep learning curve getting used to the active EQ. IMO I was using inferior guitars and speakers prior to what I have now, and I think I'd appreciate the Ultra Series amps a lot more these days granted what I'd be using with it. I've heard Gary Hoey and Satchel (from Steel Panther) do some killer stuff on XXX amps so there's hope for less gainy applications.
                              Jet City EarhartJet City JCA100H -> Avatar 2x12 -> Celestion LynchbacksPRS SE 245Sterling AX40FOR SALEBuy/sell/trade referencesMy primary band page (Seventh Day)My secondary band page (Adam Evolving)Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

Working...
                              X