Peavey XXX absolutely SLAYS!!

slicepaperdavid

• Members

Had a chance to open it up today and Im blown away with the tone of this thing. I've owned two Mesa/Boogies including a Mark III head w/ the graphic EQ and neither touched the brutality and most importantly the fun factor this amp has. Running a Foxx Tone Machine clone in front of the the crunch channel is Doom/Stoner heaven.
PeaveyXXX.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by slicepaperdavid View Post
Had a chance to open it up today and Im blown away with the tone of this thing. I've owned two Mesa/Boogies including a Mark III head w/ the graphic EQ and neither touched the brutality and most importantly the fun factor this amp has. Running a Foxx Tone Machine clone in front of the the crunch channel is Doom/Stoner heaven.
PeaveyXXX.jpg
I love the Ultra/Ultra plus/XXX/3120 amps.

• Members

My only beef with them is the whole series of amps which share similar topology (basically the ultra series) are fairly compressed. They're high gain monsters but they're not the most versatile for styles other than heavy or hard rock.

Good sounding amps tho.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by madryan View Post
My only beef with them is the whole series of amps which share similar topology (basically the ultra series) are fairly compressed. They're high gain monsters but they're not the most versatile for styles other than heavy or hard rock.

Good sounding amps tho.
There's other styles? confused.gif

Really though, I don't need versatility for the $300 I paid for mine. Great deals to be had on 'em, probably one of the most underrated metal amps on the market.

• Members

Some people pay that much for *dare I say overrated?* pedals...300$ is a steal.

Exlcude that, take out the circuit and put it on a "boutique style" headshell with black faceplate and white chickenhead knobs or something and take out the peavey logo? I'd bet there would be people paying a lot more for this amp based on the result alone, it is a good amp!

• Members

Good sounding amps tho.
Hitting the clean channel with a tubescreamer yields some nice low gain textures

• Members

Good sounding amps tho.
I agree with you on this one. I couldn't get decent low gain tones to save my life when I had it. Granted my first two real amps were a Triumph 120 and a XXX, and I had a steep learning curve getting used to the active EQ. IMO I was using inferior guitars and speakers prior to what I have now, and I think I'd appreciate the Ultra Series amps a lot more these days granted what I'd be using with it. I've heard Gary Hoey and Satchel (from Steel Panther) do some killer stuff on XXX amps so there's hope for less gainy applications.

• Members
Hitting the clean channel with a tubescreamer yields some nice low gain textures
I kinda go the other way. Granted these days if I want an amp that does a certain thing I just build it, but what I like is an amp that does a killer middle of the road "rock" tone on its own, cleans up sweet with just the volume, and sounds fucking bollocks with a boost for harder stuff.

I'm loving my Jube clone for this. Really, you can do almost anything with a 2203 if you've got a decent pedalboard. To me it's always better to need more gain and compression than to have too much.

But there's no arguing... The Peavey Ultra's and their derivatives are among the bang for the buck amps of the century. If you're in a rock cover band and want a solid gigging amp they're a no brainer.

• Members
PeaveyXXX.jpg
Been saying that about the XXX for years. KILLER high gain amplifiers

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madryan

View Post

I wish I'd have gotten one instead of the JSX. They're fairly similar but the XXX is a better amp IMO. But hey... that was years, and two dozen or more amps ago lol.

I have both and I prefer the JSX. Mostly because the JSX has the capability to get some great mid gain tones as well. Those are nowhere to be found in the XXX

• Members

I have both and I prefer the JSX. Mostly because the JSX has the capability to get some great mid gain tones as well. Those are nowhere to be found in the XXX

Well actually there is. Put one of these in V2:

JJ ECC832 / 12DW7 Preamp Vacuum Tube

"This is a suitable replacement for any 12DW7 / ECC832. One side has a gain factor of 100 - the other side has a gain factor of 20. You can think of it as 1/2 a 12AU7 and 1/2 a 12AX7. Try this tube for some interesting gain reduction effects on certain amps."

• Members

I have a Peavey Prowler, which is the little brother of the Ultra line at 45 watts in a 1x12" combo. I freaking love the thing, and the cleans are shockingly good. Of course it'll do anything heavy which you'd expect from a Peavey of this line. It just freaking rocks. :thu:

• Members

Well actually there is. Put one of these in V2:

JJ ECC832 / 12DW7 Preamp Vacuum Tube

"This is a suitable replacement for any 12DW7 / ECC832. One side has a gain factor of 100 - the other side has a gain factor of 20. You can think of it as 1/2 a 12AU7 and 1/2 a 12AX7. Try this tube for some interesting gain reduction effects on certain amps."

This. A XXX can get low gain if you know what you're doing. They need some care to make them what you want them to be

• Members

Used 8 kohm alnico II pickups and treated the tonestack as a passive one (used cut only, with max position being in the middle) and I was satisfied with mid gain tones...Even vs the JVM I compared it at the time. But perhaps mid gain is different for everybody, it didn't have the juicy bluesy touch sensitive mids a low watt amp will do easily for example but you could crank modern style ac/dc all night!

• Members

To me mid gain is a NMV marshall cranked, or a fairly primitive cascaded tonestack like a 2203 cranked and then using dynamics and your volume to control the gain level. You'll never perfectly nail that from an amp with as many gain stages as a modern high gainer. Most high gainers, cleaning up to do mid gain tones sound a bit flat and lack the warmth and harmonic content.

Archived