Samsung Galaxy 3S for people that own one?

jlb32

• Members

As someone who is pretty much obsessed with phones i'll lay down my thoughts..

I have had the phone 3 times trying to get away from iphones(iOS has been getting stale for the last couple years)

Each time i had the s3 the same things sucked..

1. The screen absolutely sucks outside in daylight...AMOLED screens are just junk outside. No comparison to IPS LCD.

2. Colors WAY over saturated as usual on Samsung phones, nothing looks realistic. Color profile is only adjustable on international versions.

3. Android, Even though ICS 4.0 and Jelly Bean are nice, still a very cumbersome OS.

4. Battery life was meh, probably about 3hrs expected usage per day. On weekends the phone was dead all the time when going out to bars/clubs..got sick of that really quick.

Only thing i will recommend is get a phone with a IPS LCD. 10x better and more realistic looking color profiles. There are only a few phones out there with them though..

Iphone - 4 - 4s - 5

HTC - OneX and 8x

Nokia - 922

HTC - Droid DNA

Either way..if you must stick with android and have verizon, get the DNA. It blows the S3 apart in all catergories..Plus it has the new efficient IPS LCD's from sharp and battery life is great from what i have been reading(10-20% better than the S3)

If your open to change and hate iphones..try out the Windows phones, they are great. I am probably going to pick up the 8x in the next couple weeks here to replace my iphone 5.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVoices

View Post

I have had the phone 3 times trying to get away from iphones(iOS has been getting stale for the last couple years)

1. The screen absolutely sucks outside in daylight...AMOLED screens are just junk outside. No comparison to IPS LCD.

2. Colors WAY over saturated as usual on Samsung phones, nothing looks realistic. Color profile is only adjustable on international versions.

3. Android, Even though ICS 4.0 and Jelly Bean are nice, still a very cumbersome OS.

4. Battery life was meh, probably about 3hrs expected usage per day. On weekends the phone was dead all the time when going out to bars/clubs..got sick of that really quick.

Only thing i will recommend is get a phone with a IPS LCD. 10x better and more realistic looking color profiles. There are only a few phones out there with them though..

Iphone - 4 - 4s - 5

HTC - OneX and 8x

Nokia - 922

HTC - Droid DNA

Either way..if you must stick with android and have verizon, get the DNA. It blows the S3 apart in all catergories..Plus it has the new efficient IPS LCD's from sharp and battery life is great from what i have been reading(10-20% better than the S3)

If your open to change and hate iphones..try out the Windows phones, they are great. I am probably going to pick up the 8x in the next couple weeks here to replace my iphone 5.

Thanksthumb.gif I do kind of want something besides a iPhone. I've thought about the iPhone 5 but it just doesn't make me want one. Don't think the Windows phones would be my thing but worth checking out. I also don't want to spend a fortune so price is factor.

• Members

View Post

Iphone - 4 - 4s - 5

HTC - OneX and 8x

Nokia - 922

HTC - Droid DNA

3 hours battery life? Get the {censored} out of town!

• Members

View Post

Iphone - 4 - 4s - 5

HTC - OneX and 8x

Nokia - 922

HTC - Droid DNA

3 HOURS ?!?!? You're either doing it wrong or on purpose (or got a dud battery) . . .

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sahlomonic

View Post

3 HOURS ?!?!? You're either doing it wrong or on purpose (or got a dud battery) . . .

That screen on time, not standby time facepalm.gif

Standby with 3hrs usage with a total time of 12hrs including standby off the charger..That falls into line with all the reviews and other peoples usage.

• Members

View Post

That screen on time, not standby time facepalm.gif

Standby with 3hrs usage with a total time of 12hrs including standby off the charger..That falls into line with all the reviews and other peoples usage.

Ahhh, I misunderstood. I recently had a similar discussion with FRPC about battery saving, and Juice Defender may be something to look at to help maximize battery life. Have WiFi turned off when screen is off, maybe a CPU controller too. Smartphones are great with all we can do with them; having a great battery life is its only big downfall.

• Members

I had the S3 for a while and totally loved it. Best phone I've ever had and I've had A LOT of them (IT guy where I work so I pretty much end up test all the phones that come through the company now.

The phone gets even better if you root it. Battery life gets longer, ad blocking, free wifi-hotspot...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Shine

View Post

So flash is not being updated for any android os 4.0 and above?

It's not being updates on any version of Android. It's not available in the market anymore either. However you can still download the old versions for Android from Adobe's site.

• Members

I have the UK S3. It had Android ICS on it when I first got it and got an over-air upgrade to JB.

I originally got the iPhone5 after being recommended it every 7 seconds. I lasted four days with it and exchanged it under O2's 7-day exchange plan. I just couldn't get on with the damned thing. Several reasons why, but I didn't want to deal with it.

On ICS, the S3 was perfectly fine. I found similar annoyances with the GUI as I did with the iPhone, but the Android SDK is really good as was the satnav/car dash kit. The JB update has really {censored}ed it up though! It's knocked out ALL aftermarket docks which is really a pisstake and the UI seems to be laggy and crashed more.

I've ended up rooting it and installing Insert Coin. It's basically what the Jelly Bean update should have been and so far had no issues.

All that said, if I was buying again, I wouldn't have either the iPhone or the S3. Just so happens I'm stuck with the S3 until 2014. But, I would either have a HTC Android (my girlfriend's one is really good to use) or I would give a new Windows phone a swing. Though the obvious draw to Android for me is the abilty to easily author your own apps. I've already made myself a few.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by exafro

View Post

I don't have the S3, but I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jellybean. Android is great, {censored} the haters.

I have a gnex as well. A year old and it's still the best Android phone out there imho. Not a fan of the LG Nexus...the Note II looks cool but it's not a Nexus...

Archived