Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting read regarding Guitar Center

First off, ignore the site this article is on

http://thetoneking.com/wp/life-support-how-long-until-they-pull-the-plug-on-guitar-center/

First, you need to know that that $2 billion figure is not just GC
    Jet City EarhartJet City JCA100H -> Avatar 2x12 -> Celestion LynchbacksPRS SE 245Sterling AX40FOR SALEBuy/sell/trade referencesMy primary band page (Seventh Day)My secondary band page (Adam Evolving)Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Who gives a flaming fart? This site goes down and there will always be another forum to piss time away. It won't be quite the same but if most of the community is there, it will be just as entertaining.
    SPAM:Pedals http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ckson-amp-more

Good Deals: guitarbilly74, Rose Pickups, Plastic_Rocker, lespaul6, The Riffer, thirsty one, MRAAJR, Dogbone94, Scarlet Theory, BOOBIES, Rick Lee, & richey888

Comment

Who gives a flaming fart? This site goes down and there will always be another forum to piss time away. It won't be quite the same but if most of the community is there, it will be just as entertaining.

+1

I thought it was common knowledge that they owned this site

Comment

It's sad to see Bain pillaging companies like this. 150 or so Bain employees benefit while thousands of families lost pensions, GC ran small shops out of business and Bain sold GC down the river by signing them up for 10% interest loans they can never repay. All the while undercutting everyone out of business. They ruined the entire industry.

Hopefully small family companies can rise from the ashes and companies like Sweetwater become the dominant market players.

Comment

Damn, I knew things were bad, but didn't realize it was that bad there. Ouch.
          Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
          Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

Then I go stay on Fenders sites, until they go under.
            HC GREAT WHITE OUT SURVIVOR 2012 , RIP those that didnt make it.

Rutles meet them , know them , love them , touch them
            http://www.rutles.org/rstory.html
            QUOTE=midnightlaundry Your ****************************, no help reply is exactly why I hate this board.
            Suspicion Breeds Confidence

Originally Posted by Django Sentenza

Watch out, there are some terribly bothersome trolls around here.

Comment

Liquidation sale?
              ORANGE AMPS
              Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

if GC/MF goes down, i wonder how that will impact major guitar companies who get a lot of their sales through them.
                Originally Posted by OverDriven

That is probably the single most ****************ed up thing I've ever seen posted on HCAF. Congrats.

Good deals with: jnepo1

Comment

if GC/MF goes down, i wonder how that will impact major guitar companies who get a lot of their sales through them.

See, the avenues for those guys are still firmly in place. I don't think the big boys will hurt much if at all
                  ORANGE AMPS
                  Good Deals

Winner "Best Multi-Amp Rig" 2012 BOTR

Originally Posted by Sex Panther

I never called myself "Love Panther" or "Commitment Panther".

Formerly known as Dolflundgren

Comment

It's sad to see Bain pillaging companies like this. 150 or so Bain employees benefit while thousands of families lost pensions, GC ran small shops out of business and Bain sold GC down the river by signing them up for 10% interest loans they can never repay. All the while undercutting everyone out of business. They ruined the entire industry.

Hopefully small family companies can rise from the ashes and companies like Sweetwater become the dominant market players.

I'm certainly hoping for this, as GC has shut down damn near every ma & pa shop since they opened in KC; just a couple remain that I'm aware of. Mars Music opened up in '99 and a lot of small shops seemed to survive them, until GC came along around '06 or so.
                    Jet City EarhartJet City JCA100H -> Avatar 2x12 -> Celestion LynchbacksPRS SE 245Sterling AX40FOR SALEBuy/sell/trade referencesMy primary band page (Seventh Day)My secondary band page (Adam Evolving)Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

See, the avenues for those guys are still firmly in place. I don't think the big boys will hurt much if at all

What avenues? Where will Gibson dump their rejects? Think of the Gibson, man

Comment

Damn, I knew things were bad, but didn't realize it was that bad there. Ouch.

Yea, +1. Sounds brutal

Comment

This does help explain why my local one carries such a ****************ty selection of amp inventory though.
                          Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
                          Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

Can't blame this one on Obama
                            MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

I doubt that, if GC goes down, it'll take MF with it. Some investor will probably buy the GC and MF brands from Bain for pennies and just get rid of the brick and mortar stores, effectively ending the GC name. Musicians Friend is too large to just liquidate and I have a feeling that THAT branch is fairly profitable, since there is little overhead compared to a GC store.

Still an epically ****************ty situation.
                              My Rig:

Guitar:
                              Fender MIM Black strat
                              Epiphone Les Paul Studio
                              Epiphone Sheraton II Semi-hollow
                              Walnut Telecaster

Furman PL Plus-C Power Conditioner
                              Ampeg M-15
                              '67 Bassman
                              Jet City JCA100H (signed by Mike Soldano himself)
                              Ampeg 4x12 Cab with G12T75's

Great deals with: Laura at ValveQueen, Ovid9, tasson50

Comment

• Working...
                                X