If I Buy a 1991 Les Paul Studio.....

paul88lx

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx

View Post

What are some good options for locking tuners? Vintage looking?

depends on what is there now , I don't like to redrill holes if I don't have to. Also IMO you don't need locking on a LP . I like at least 16:1 ratio

• Members

just installed locking tuners on my 2009 lp studio. The gotoh vintage tulip locking tuners should have fit right in, but no dice. The bushings were to small, i had to order some conversion bushings extra to make the fit. It works great now. Installed grover mini locking tuners on the previous les paul i owned (93 studio) They fit right in.

ps : little rant here . I don't care that when people say that tuning problems have nothing to to with the stock gibson tuners, that's it's all about string winding and lubricating the nut. I have tried all that with both les pauls i owned and ended up installing locking tuners. Problem was solved, guitar stayed in tune. So to me , gibson tuners SUCK !

• Members

Last winter I bought a Les Paul '60s tribute. The reasons I sent it back were the weight(It was way way too light. It felt like a cheap toy. Any Les Paul, to me, needs to have some mass to it). The second reason was the thing just wouldn't stay in tune. It didn't take even a minute before I could hear the tuning change. So if I end up buying this particular guitar, it's getting lockers right off the bat.

I have one strat in particular that had unstable tuning. Sperzels fixed it just fine. So it can't hurt either way.

• Members

I've never owned a Gibson that wouldn't stay in tune. I have three and they are all pretty solid. Not saying it doesn't happen, I have a friend who swears his 335 won't stay in tune more that 5 minutes. Maybe some locking tuners would help his guitar.

• Members

I don't think so either but I'm all for hot rodding a geetar . I agree about the nut , needs to be cut right and a little nut lube works wonders too . As much as I like the Tonepros stuff those locking type they have that look like LSR tuners with that big ass piece coming off the top just look wrong on a Les Paul , don't {censored} up a classic look !

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fretless View Post
I don't think so either but I'm all for hot rodding a geetar . I agree about the nut , needs to be cut right and a little nut lube works wonders too . As much as I like the Tonepros stuff those locking type they have that look like LSR tuners with that big ass piece coming off the top just look wrong on a Les Paul , don't {censored} up a classic look !
That's pretty much my opinion. I don't care if I need them or not. If I buy the guitar, it's getting them. Eventually, it'll get swapped from gold to silver hardware.

Since, you know, silver is classy and gold is for guidos.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx View Post
What are some good options for locking tuners? Vintage looking?
Gotoh makes some vintage style locking tuners. I've heard some say they installed them on LP's without any modifications.

I personally prefer the Gibson stock tuners over alot of locking tuners. I've had great success with Gibsons tuners though. Never any issues.

• Members

Tuning issues are more often than not a poorly cut nut. Locking tuners aren't really going to help if you're properly wrapping the tuning post. That being said, I have these ones on my LP and they're badass:

That's what i thought too, but with both my gibsons no ammount of lubricating (sound kinky

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by koen77 View Post
just installed locking tuners on my 2009 lp studio. The gotoh vintage tulip locking tuners should have fit right in, but no dice. The bushings were to small, i had to order some conversion bushings extra to make the fit. It works great now. Installed grover mini locking tuners on the previous les paul i owned (93 studio) They fit right in.

ps : little rant here . I don't care that when people say that tuning problems have nothing to to with the stock gibson tuners, that's it's all about string winding and lubricating the nut. I have tried all that with both les pauls i owned and ended up installing locking tuners. Problem was solved, guitar stayed in tune. So to me , gibson tuners SUCK !
Then you straight up suck at stringing a guitar. Explain to me how a tuner would cause tuning issues.

• Members

Then you straight up suck at stringing a guitar. Explain to me how a tuner would cause tuning issues.

That could very well be, but i stick to my statement, had tuning issues, installed locking tuners, issue solved. Good enough for me .

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by koen77 View Post
That could very well be, but i stick to my statement, had tuning issues, installed locking tuners, issue solved. Good enough for me .
So you can't explain how a tuner could cause tuning issues but you blame them? Pro tip: unless the gear is stripped even the cheapest of tuners will hold tune just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by charveldan View Post
Word of warning, a Les Paul nut is tricky and not a DIY project. The fretboard is curved from heavy strings to light in such a way i can't describe it.

Best have a tech mess with it or just leave it alone.

Pretty sure Studio pups suck balls. cop.gif
A.) If locking tuners fixed his issue then it wasn't the nut. If the nut was that big of an issue it would cause the same problems regardless of the tuner.

B.) Les Paul nut works the same way as any other. Gibson uses a 17* pitch that creates a lot of pressure on the nut, especially for the D and G strings since they have the longest run above the nut. The D is wound so it stays in place a bit more than the plain G.

C.) Studios have 490r/498t pickups which are pretty decent. Gibson installed the exact same combo in Les Paul Customs for the longest time. Same with old LP Standards and SG's.

Archived