EMG Het Set in a Les Paul

Norton666

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Norton666 View Post
Thinking of putting a set in my cover band LP. Any experience with this combo? I worry the pot shafts may not be long enough for a LP Classic
I put them in my ESP Eclipse and really like them. Probably my favorite of the EMG's. I prefer them over the 81/85 combo or the 81/60 combo.

Not sure about the pot shafts but IMO if you like EMG's they should sound great in your Les Paul Classic.

• Members

I found the het set to be more versatile than the 81/85/60 that i used for the last 13 yrs.
the cleans are the best of any emg i have used and sounds warmer and fuller. The bridge pu has alot of output but is clear sounding and tight with great lows, they have a slightly different feel and midrange, overall i think they are the best emgs that i have used. I wished i could describe them better. They still have the emg flavor and if you like emgs you should like them or if you hate emgs you still might hate them. Its not a night and day difference but theres defiantely a difference from the others that i mentioned earlier. They sound great in my eclipse and i also had them in a silverbust lpc and was very happy. I wanna put a set in my KL explorer soon.

So overall i would describe them as warmer,clearer,tight, thicker lows and slightly different mids, more output and the seem to work better than other emgs when rolling off the volume, the neck pu is really clean sounding.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules View Post
And he just switched to passives. He's got a new line of sig dimarzios
The clip they have of him playing the new "Transition" pickups sounded great. I think they would be some real winners!

That being said, I think EMGs are versatile, the 81/60 was my favorite humbucker combo of theirs! However, I would love to try their new 57 and 66 models! Those seem like they would cover tons of ground.

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
after 30 years... yeah he probably did not like the EMGs at all icon_lol.gif

EMG haters are funny... icon_lol.gif
Just sayin'. There must have been a reason for it.

Sure, if you play goat-sacrificing metal EMGs are great, but they blow chunks for anything mid-gain IMHO.

I have a friend who doesn't know anything about gear who bought an LTD EC with EMGs and he only plays rock. I convinced him to put in an SD Jazz/JB set in instead and the difference is night and day.

I don't hate EMGs. I just hate them for rock

• Members

Sure, if you play goat-sacrificing metal EMGs are great, but they blow chunks for anything mid-gain IMHO.

I have a friend who doesn't know anything about gear who bought an LTD EC with EMGs and he only plays rock. I convinced him to put in an SD Jazz/JB set in instead and the difference is night and day.

I'd think the reason is after 30 years you may want to try something different. But EMGs are really versatile pickups and they've been used by players of many different styles.. actually the EMG=death metal is a relatively new thing. When I first started to use them the top 3 EMG players were Lukather, Gilmour and Ozzy-era Wylde.

• Members

Still though, all three of those guys (with the sometimes exception of Gilmour) use lots of gain and lots of effects, so there are other things going on that are changing the tone.

Gilmour didn't start using them till the mid80s anyways when his sound became even more processed and when IMHO the best years of Floyd were behind him.

Hey, tone is about as subjective as it comes. Personally, I would never use EMGs.

• Members

your honest opinion sucks. emg's work for me and plenty of other people who don't play metal.

• Members
Still though, all three of those guys (with the sometimes exception of Gilmour) use lots of gain and lots of effects, so there are other things going on that are changing the tone.

Gilmour didn't start using them till the mid80s anyways when his sound became even more processed and when IMHO the best years of Floyd were behind him.

Hey, tone is about as subjective as it comes. Personally, I would never use EMGs.
effects have nothing to do with it Vai, Petrucci etc.. use a ton of effects with passives...Zakk used 2 boss pedals.

I agree that pickup is a subjective thing, but to say EMGs are only good for metal, that's just wrong. You can use them for just about any style, just like any other pickup out there.

• Members

Was a die hard fan of EMG's for 20+ years but no longer.

To me, nothing beats a good set of passives with a boost.

But if you must go that route, stick with the 85's, as they are less compressed and more open sounding.

EMG did also come out with some new Vintage inspired actives, recently but havent heard them yet.

Archived