Alright bros : Best PSX/PS2/Xbox (original) RPGs you've played

-Assy-

• Members

Discovered my PC can emulate these, local pawn shop has like 3,000 games to choose from for under $15, time to catch up on the systems I never had.

First off, if you don't know what this is, you need to seriously reevaluate your experience in RPGs :

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by -Assy-

View Post

what about xenogears?

It's been a long time since playing it, but I vaguely recall Xenogears being a fecking fantastic game.

Vagrant Story was a good actiony/RPG type PSX game. Never had enough time to put into it myself though. Still have my copy of it on the shelf, and I keep telling myself I'll start playing it again one day. redface.gif

I've got a whole bunch of PSX RPGs that I bought for cheap off Ebay ages ago, thinking I'd go back and play some cool stuff I missed back in the day. They've been sitting on the shelf for years, and my PSX is in a closet somewhere. icon_lol.gif I've got stuff on PS2, 360 and PS3 that I've started, put a whole bunch of hours into, and then my time gets taken up by band {censored} or work or whatever else and I forget all about it. I think I was near the end of Lost Odyssey when I stopped playing. Tried to pick it up again months and months later and I couldn't figure out WTF I was supposed to be doing. Any other RPG you just go speak to some random villagers or whatever and pretty easily get an idea of what's going on... not Lost Odyssey apparently. icon_lol.gif And I'm not {censored}ing starting that {censored} again from scratch. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mark_morton

View Post

Shadow of the Colossus

Definitely a great game. Have it on PS2 and the re-release on PS3. It's like an action RPG without all the walking through random people's houses, searching through their {censored}, talking to everyone, building stats and learning spells 'n' {censored}, etc. etc. Get rid of all that {censored}... and just do boss battles one after the other, with a nice bit of travelling about between them. The whole map is continuous, no loading 'n' {censored} from one area to another, and it's some damn nice scenery. And then each new battle you get to is a whole new level of, "WTF is this {censored}?! eek.gif"

And despite the lack of all the usual RPG elements, it's still a great story. smile.gif

• Members

some already mentioned but WTF:

Playstation:

FF7, 8, and 9

Final Fantasy Tactics

Chrono Cross (Chrono Trigger is awesome too, but you can just emulate that on ZNES and have a better experience)

XenoGears, definitely. Probably my favorite actual storyline in any game.

Wild Arms and WA2, although 2 isnt as good IMO... it did set the standard for the subsequent games in the series.

Tales of Destiny and TOD2

Breath of Fire 3, BoF 4

Front Mission 3

Parasite Eve (beware Parasite Eve 2, it is a {censored}ty Resident Evil ripoff)

Legend of Dragoon

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

Suikoden and Suikoden II (really {censored}ing good games)

Dragon Warrior 7

Grandia

Legend of Legaia

Valkyrie Profile

Persona and Persona 2

and finally

SaGa Frontier, which is weird as hell and some people dislike it, but I think its kinda cool.

PS2 doesnt have as much good stuff IMO:

FFX, give FFX-2 a try if you are secure in your manliness, FFXII

Grandia II

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Wild ARMs 3, 4, and 5 on are on teh PS2 but get progressively worse as they go, IMO.

Wild ARMs Alter Code F on the other hand is awesome - it is the first game, redone for the PS2 with extra characters, more stuff to do, etc and so on. Good times.

Shadow Hearts and SH: Covenant are decent

The Xeno Saga games are on there too, but not nearly as good as XenoGears....

XBLOX: I have no idea. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

The first was far better and less glitchy.

KOTOR, the first one, ranks as one of the best games ive ever played.

Hm, I'll check out which one I have. I instinctively said II but now I'm not sure.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by theAntihero

View Post

The first was far better and less glitchy.

KOTOR, the first one, ranks as one of the best games ive ever played.

This. Even if the plot is a bit more interesting in II, the world in the first game is much more fun.

• Members

KOTOR

Jade Empire

Final Fantasy X (BLITZBALL)

Persona 4

Chrono Cross

I hated blitzball and was lucky just to get past the point where the main character copied the ultimate play or whatever. :D I was also not a fan of the stupid chocobo race with the chocobo was robotic and difficult to control. :D

• Members

I hated blitzball and was lucky just to get past the point where the main character copied the ultimate play or whatever.
:D
I was also not a fan of the stupid chocobo race with the chocobo was robotic and difficult to control.
:D

I'll admit, FFVIII was my favorite (flame on, haters), but of the PS2 generation, FFX is one of the best (Tidus notwithstanding).

• Members

I really really liked FF8. It got really good towards the 3rd/4th disc. The first half of the game was kind of meh, but I really liked the freedom you got with it. Something I can appreciate with RPGs. Yeah there is a main story line, but I can go around and explore whatever the {censored} I want and there was enough {censored} to do, just like in 7, not so much in 9 I felt. If I don't get an airship on the world map, tons of {censored} to farm looking for elite items, nearly impossible bosses (like the weapons from 7), then I probably won't like the game too much.

Archived