5k map delivers elite gut shots

Elder Things

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Miter Gauge

View Post

it's pretty but how does it sound?

One of my first thoughts. I checked the Vero site and the tones lead me to believe they specialize in TGP baiting old school blues tones. It's kind of hard to gauge their performance shooting out of my laptop though.

• Members

oh god. that's not sloppy at all-- it's just not turret style.

i'd rock it. looks like it's full of nice stuff like jensen caps, AB carbon comps, nice ceramic tube bases. but it's some pricy, for sure. be nice, for that kinda scratch, to document the damn transformers though...

i'm not on the list of possible recipents... 'cause it's also ugly.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zehn View Post
Like a Bassman facepalm.gif

It amazes me that one of the most simple circuits in guitar history can cost that much, boutique or not.
This. There must be electrical engineers out there that get a kick out of watching guitar players pay this kind of scratch for comparatively fischer-price circuits. icon_lol.gif

That said though there is some serious woodworking/design going on with these things.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Valtiel View Post
This. There must be electrical engineers out there that get a kick out of watching guitar players pay this kind of scratch for comparatively fischer-price circuits. icon_lol.gif

That said though there is some serious woodworking/design going on with these things though.
yeah.. but electrical engineers... icon_lol.gif give them a chance and they'll add 200 parts to a lightbulb in efforts to 'improve it'. nevermind their propensity to ruin the sound of things with oscilloscope readings over actual listening. biggrin.gif

point made, and received, though.. icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by trey85stang View Post
it's a mess, this is a good ptp wiring job... that thing is not.

(stole this from some other post in an old thread)
c302.jpg
Those are two completely different styles of construction. The method in your picture IS NOT Point to Point. It's Turret Board.

Here's another "hack job" PTP...FYI it's a Matchless. thumb.gif

chassis_1_match.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ~Abstract~ View Post
Those are two completely different styles of construction. The method in your picture IS NOT Point to Point. It's Turret Board.

Here's another "hack job" PTP...FYI it's a Matchless. thumb.gif

chassis_1_match.jpg
Matchless stuff looks sloppier than the Vero (although it's still hardly a rat's nest). PTP is inherently less visually sexy than a nicely done turret board, but the amp in the auction actually looks pretty well executed.

That being said, $5K for a juiced up Bassman is insane.

• Members

The PTP job looks fine, but the price is just off the charts insane. The box is even made of cheap maple plywood with a thin birdseye veneer. Look on the sides and corner where the veneer has actually chipped off. For 5K the builder couldn't use a plank of real birdseye so it doesn't look terrible when you bump it on something? Beyond that, it's just a Fender Tweed clone with a few mods and very standard off the shelf components. No real thought or circuit design went into this. What is the buyer paying for, exactly?

Archived