What's the most motivating thing you've ever done for your lead playing?

Ron Burgandy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just learning different scales and modes and getting outside that pentatonic box. Charting music and learning from ear has helped me greatly. I just recently got Tom Quayles Rock to Fusion DVD from licklibrary. It's killer but I'm slowly learning from it. And I still suck. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

?

No hover brah

For me? I heard J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr. Holy {censored} he sucks. Nobody wants to hear atonal flurries of misguided note selection mixed with out of pitch bends.

I realized I did the same thing so I'm working on playing in key, and hitting bends properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTjjMP40n3c

• Members

Weekly improv jams with a drummer and bassist did it for me

Not to sound like a smug bastard, but I've put in SO many hours of improv jams that I feel like I could pretty much hold my own in damn near any context, except maybe some super complex 5-key-change-per-second jazz {censored} icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by draelyc

View Post

Recording it & listening back to it later. VERY motivating! eek.gif

Yep. I recorded 2 solos last night. It was like Jekyll and Hyde. One was awesome (for me) ..the other..so bad I may keep it. I kinda like how gonzo it is.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by draelyc

View Post

Recording it & listening back to it later. VERY motivating! eek.gif

Yep. I recorded 2 solos last night. It was like Jekyll and Hyde. One was awesome (for me) ..the other..so bad I may keep it. I kinda like how gonzo it is.

• Members

I can't play leads for {censored}...but threads like these motivate me. David Gilmour motivates me. Lots of players motivate me...I just don't feel like I have the time to get that good. I could probably do 30 minutes a day, and it'd take me a lifetime to be able to play what I hear in my head...Bummer.

Archived