How wiggity-wiggity-whack is this idea, y'all?

draelyc

• Members

So the Plexi reissue that I thought I was going to have to sell but which I shall in fact be keeping will be back in my possession this afternoon. Kewl! thumb.gif Still planning to have a master volume mod done ... but that got me thinking (always dangerous) ~ wouldn't it be cool to have dual, footswitchable master volumes so I wouldn't have to put a volume boost pedal in the fx loop? I think Nerine said he's gonna do that with his Plexi, and supposedly it's not too hard to do, but I know NUTHIN' about amps/circuits/electronics, so idn_smilie.gif ...

But *then* I got to thinkin' (again, see the parenthetical note, above), how cool would it be to have a footswitchable gain boost, so I wouldn't have to run an od pedal in front? It occurred to me that such an amp would pretty much be my end-all, be-all amp.

So, is it ridonkulous to look into having this reissue modded that much? Tech guys, am I looking at something that would be cost- or labor- preventative? Would I be "destroying" the "mojo" of the amp? Would having these mods done cause universal gay marriage until we all jump hand-in-hand over the fiscal cliff, bereft of guns? Will dogs and cats end up living together? eek.gif

Just wonderin'...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sleewell View Post
i am unfamiliar with that termonolgy and am currently late for work having missed the bus
Chortling audibly. smile.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
The bummer about a mod like that = you don't know if it will sound great until after you mess up your amp.

Also, whoever does the work should hopefully know something about relays and switching to make sure the unit doesn't "pop" when you hit the switch.

Just use pedals, man.
Has the ring of wisdom to it, brutha. Thanks! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by draelyc View Post
So the Plexi reissue that I thought I was going to have to sell but which I shall in fact be keeping will be back in my possession this afternoon. Kewl! thumb.gif Still planning to have a master volume mod done ... but that got me thinking (always dangerous) ~ wouldn't it be cool to have dual, footswitchable master volumes so I wouldn't have to put a volume boost pedal in the fx loop? I think Nerine said he's gonna do that with his Plexi, and supposedly it's not too hard to do, but I know NUTHIN' about amps/circuits/electronics, so idn_smilie.gif ...

But *then* I got to thinkin' (again, see the parenthetical note, above), how cool would it be to have a footswitchable gain boost, so I wouldn't have to run an od pedal in front? It occurred to me that such an amp would pretty much be my end-all, be-all amp.

So, is it ridonkulous to look into having this reissue modded that much? Tech guys, am I looking at something that would be cost- or labor- preventative? Would I be "destroying" the "mojo" of the amp? Would having these mods done cause universal gay marriage until we all jump hand-in-hand over the fiscal cliff, bereft of guns? Will dogs and cats end up living together? eek.gif

Just wonderin'...
no to all of the above. You are going to transform your plexi into a generic channel switcher. Leave that amp alone.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

no to all of the above. You are going to transform your plexi into a generic channel switcher. Leave that amp alone.

See, that would be my fear. I should prolly just put a moratorium on thinking, when it comes to mapz. facepalm.gificon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by draelyc

View Post

...Plexi reissue...footswitchable master volumes...footswitchable gain boost...

Brian at BFG Amplification in Oregon. And he can do either type of Master Volume (pre- or post-phase inverter) depending on the tone you want. His customer service record is right up there with Soldano's.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
This. cop.gif

If you wanted all those mods, then you should have just gotten a used 800 channel switcher.

You can always get the plug in mods from Kasha & the amp remains completely stock.

Master Volume Mod (footswitchacle)

QM-Master.jpg

http://rockmod335.com/index.php?main...products_id=88

2nd channel & gain mod

Quikmod.jpg

http://rockmod335.com/index.php?main...products_id=86

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
This. cop.gif

If you wanted all those mods, then you should have just gotten a used 800 channel switcher.

You can always get the plug in mods from Kasha & the amp remains completely stock.

Master Volume Mod (footswitchacle)

QM-Master.jpg

http://rockmod335.com/index.php?main...products_id=88

What puts me off about that plug in is that, if it plugs into a valve slot, I wouldn't be able to get to it easily whilst playing, especially at a gig. idn_smilie.gif

That one I didn't really look at before ... will do so now. thumb.gif

• Members
What puts me off about that plug in is that, if it plugs into a valve slot, I wouldn't be able to get to it easily whilst playing, especially at a gig. idn_smilie.gif
Why would you need to get at it ? Set it and forget it. Do any minor adjustments on the front of the amp idea.gif

That one I didn't really look at before ... will do so now. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
Why would you need to get at it ? Set it and forget it. Do any minor adjustments on the front of the amp idea.gif
I like the sound of the Plexi's preamp & prefer to get my gain/crunch from cranking that volume knob & use the master to control the overall level.

That's what I did in all the clips I made when I first got it ~ put the treble vol. on about 9/10, the normal vol. on about 6, & threw this in the fx loop:

bdf2_35.JPG

Cheap & kinda ghetto lookin', sitting on top of the amp, but it works, and when I gigged it, it was very easy to access for any needed volume changes as we went. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
I like the sound of the Plexi's preamp & prefer to get my gain/crunch from cranking that volume knob & use the master to control the overall level.

That's what I did in all the clips I made when I first got it ~ put the treble vol. on about 9/10, the normal vol. on about 6, & threw this in the fx loop:

bdf2_35.JPG

Cheap & kinda ghetto lookin', sitting on top of the amp, but it works, and when I gigged it, it was very easy to access for any needed volume changes as we went. idn_smilie.gif
whassa matta, the master volume on the amp didnt work?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt View Post
I love a modded plexi, but I think the best mods are voicing mods, & finding the best master volume for the application. Get too carried away with gain & channel switching & you coulld end up with a razor thin 80's hairspray chainsaw fizz machine. cop.gif
Ugh, do not want.

Thanks!

• Members
Ugh, do not want.

Thanks!
Start with small stuff . Listen to the changes as you go. I still think (the right) pedal sounds better than gobs of gain mods. I tyhink the 1st step in the right direction is a good (lar mar) master volume mod, and finding the right tubes you like.

Archived