Speak to me of Peavey's Rockmaster Preamp.

nightflameauto

• Members

Great preamp. With the right power amp they are hard to beat. They are also fairly simple to mod if you find something you dont like about the tone. My favorite mod for it though is to change the crunch pre-gain pot out for a 1meg pot which makes it identical to the Ultra channel. If you have a thing for the crunch channel you can also change the ultra channels pre-gain pot out for one the same value as the crunch and have two crunch channels.

• Members

Does it come with a footswitch? You need one to switch between the crunch and ultra channels. Otherwise it defaults to the Ultra without the footswitch. FX loop jacks are notorious for getting gummed up then it cuts out and loses volume. Not a big deal, Deoxit every now and then takes care of that.

To my ears they sound a bit dry and lack some of the low end of the XXX/3120s but a conservatively set BBE or Aphex Exciter can brighten it up and add bass.

I have owned a Rockmaster preamp and currently have an Ultra 60 which is similar to a Classic 60 power amp with a Rockmaster preamp in head form.

At some point I will probably get another Rockmaster preamp and run it with my 22 Caliber or a Lee Jackson SP-1000 if I can ever find one.

I wish AMT would come out with a pedal based on the Rockmaster preamp.
thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Goop View Post
I wish AMT would come out with a pedal based on the Rockmaster preamp.
thumb.gif
I'd guess AMT will stick with the P1 for Peavey. I do dig my P1 a whole lot though.

I'll have to ask him about the footswitch. Do they take a standard footswitch or need something special? If it doesn't have it that may not be a deal breaker, I'll just adjust my offer a touch.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto View Post
I'd guess AMT will stick with the P1 for Peavey. I do dig my P1 a whole lot though.

I'll have to ask him about the footswitch. Do they take a standard footswitch or need something special? If it doesn't have it that may not be a deal breaker, I'll just adjust my offer a touch.
As much as I would love to see a pedal based on the Ultra series I agree with you and will not be expecting an AMT Ultra/Rockmaster any time soon. cry.gif

It's been years since I had my Rockmaster but I do remember my standard footswitch did not work so I ended up finding one that would work on ebay. Don't remember how much it cost but not a deal breaker by any means. I'm guessing it was 30 or 40 bucks. I ended up running mine on the Ultra channel all the time anyway and ultimately didn't need the footswitch.
facepalm.gificon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by charveldan View Post
000_0001.jpg

Had this rig for about 12 years, it was decent, sold it to my amptech. cop.gif
Clean rig. Great for those Dokken riffs. Too bad you didn't keep it.

thumb.gif

Add a BBE and maybe an Alesis Midiverb/Quadraverb in stereo to your Marshall cabs...love.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mamberg View Post
How much was he asking??
It was stock?
FJA modded quite a few of those with good results.
He wanted two fiddy, and said that was bottom line for him. It was stock, and pretty beat down. Missing some knobs and such. Functionally OK, but I wasn't gonna toss that much AND have to do a bunch of work to it. I'm fussy with my gear and even though you can turn the pots without a knob, I'd OCD until my brain exploded over it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by heath

View Post

$250 is a bit steep, but I may be biased as I got mine in near mint condition for $35 with the footswitch.

A lot of times they will charge $35 or $40 for the footswitch then throw in the Rockmaster preamp for free.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
$250 is a bit steep, but I may be biased as I got mine in near mint condition for $35 with the footswitch.
Lol, I got mine in near mint condition, WITH the footswitch, (from a friend of mine) for free icon_lol.gif

I'm actually still using it as my tone generator in my GSP1101 rig.

Archived