Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to learn/play drums in an apartment?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The drummer in my old band lived in an apt and all he could get away with was an electric kit.

Drums are obscenely loud. I don't think you're going to be able get away with it.
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Warmoth Custom Soloist
    Ibanez S370
    Gibson SG Special
    '77 Marshall JMP 2203
    http://www.myspace.com/sonicimages
    --------

Originally Posted by RaceU4her

i have 12,000+ posts at HCAF, of course im a ****************ing tone guru

Comment

No way that's going to work in an apartment. I would look at a good electronic set as a possible solution. Besides, if you ever want to record drums then you can hook it up to your computer, send the Midi to Superior Drummer or another drum module and you'll have killer sounding recordings without miking anything up.
      Main Rig:
      LTD EC1000
      Peavey 6505+
      Mesa/Boogie Recto 2x12 with V30's
      TC Nova System

FOR SALE:
      Spools of Canare GS-6 - The most transparent cable I've come across. Click for details.
      M-Audio Audiophile 2496 Sound Card

Good transactions with Digital Jams, Dimebag11, Greazygeo, ENdtime, Fagmotron 3000, thenakedarab, TheAmazingBlob, ZOMBIELAND, mike59271, LoopQuantum.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by this is paul
        View Post

No. It's possible with electronics if you live on the first floor, but otherwise the constant kick pedal action will have your neighbors knocking in no time.

Even then, you'd either want very solid walls or some rather cooperative neighbours. Or both. Even an e-drum kit still makes a fair bit of noise. Nowhere near an acoustic kit of course, but you're still whacking **************** with sticks.

Got a drummer friend you can borrow some sticks and a practice pad from? Coz that'd give you a bit of an idea what it'd sound like in your place hitting just one pad. Then imagine a whole kit of that.
        Originally Posted by Norton666 (15/07/2009)

Give it 6 months and the Axe-Fx will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Johnson Millenium stuff.

Comment

yeah, you are gonna want to start looking at a digital kit.

luckily you are on the first floor. so the kick action wont pound on someone's ceiling.

but padded real drums still put out a ton of sound.
          the world is one big fist fight.

Originally Posted by duncan

I wonder what a persons life must be like if they're so easily affected by my posting on an Internet forum.

Originally Posted by Rear Naked

I saw 2 guys do it, and all they did was laugh really hard and say What The **************** a few times. No deaths or near-deaths occured.

Comment

I have a massive e-drum kit and while I don't live in an apartment I can tell you some key tips to keeping things quiet.

Firstly, build yourself one of these platforms.

Secondly, the new(ish) Yamaha DTX "XP" series pads are bar none the quietest e-drum pads on the market.

Rubberized cymbals aren't actually loud at all if you hit them on the rim since the rim is usually the roll over point of the rubber, providing a squishy zone to hit. Yamaha's PCY135 and PCY155 cymbals are the best bang for the buck, but really any of the fully rubberized "realistic looking" cymbals will do. Just don't buy ANY that are plastic or metal with a cushioned strike zone. They are all loud.

The hi-hat is personal choice. You can get the real deal looking ones (eg Roland VH-12) or the more simplistic ones (eg Roland VH-11) but they're noise level is mostly dependent on your force. Again, only buy the fully rubberized ones. The VH-11 is has the best ratio of quiet play, feel, and price.

The bass drum is the killer, though. Some bass e-drums are awesome to play on (eg. Yamaha KP125 - best bang for buck bass e-drum) but aren't super quiet. A mesh bass drum (eg. Roland KD140) is the quietest but may be a tad more bouncy than a drummer coming from an acoustic set would want (plus the KD140 is ridiculously expensive).

Then, of course, there's the other route of just buying an acoustic kit for cheap and then converting it by building in the triggers and replacing the acoustic skins with mesh heads. It's actually not hard to do, it's by far the best looking option, it's closer to the "real" thing, it's cheaper, and it's quiet.

Guitars: Music Man JP6; Jackson USA Select SLS; Hand Made Customs / Amp/Effects: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra
            Bass: Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 / Amp/Effects: Roland CB-30
            Drums: Roland TD-20 / / Amp/Effect: lolwut?

Comment

No way -unless it electronic. That was what sucked about living in NYC -no place to practice unless paying out the a$$ for rehearsal spaces per hour.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Two Tone
                View Post

Do that. I don't find a huge difference between heavily muted acoustic drums and an ekit for environmental noise. The muted acoustic kit will sound like ass, but it's an actual drum kit at those times you can un-mute. Electronic drums sound OK through headphones... but the feel will never quite be right, and they'll never match the sound of acoustic drums. Your call.
                Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti II
                  View Post

Do that. I don't find a huge difference between heavily muted acoustic drums and an ekit for environmental noise. The muted acoustic kit will sound like ass, but it's an actual drum kit at those times you can un-mute. Electronic drums sound OK through headphones... but the feel will never quite be right, and they'll never match the sound of acoustic drums. Your call.

Have you heard Steven Slate Drums 4.0? I guarantee you no one out there without professional recording/micing gear can make their drum recordings sound better.

The idea that acoustic drums "just sound better" than absolutely everything that the e-drum market has to offer is such an old cliche. Does anyone here play and record drums? Most acoustic drum sets, in an average Joe's home setup, sound like ear rape.

"...they'll never match the sound of acoustic drums." You silly guys. Ten years from now you won't even realize that what you're listening to is entirely programmed.

Guitars: Music Man JP6; Jackson USA Select SLS; Hand Made Customs / Amp/Effects: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra

Comment

View Post

Have you heard Steven Slate Drums 4.0? I guarantee you no one out there without professional recording/micing gear can make their drum recordings sound better.

The idea that acoustic drums "just sound better" than absolutely everything that the e-drum market has to offer is such an old cliche. Does anyone here play and record drums? Most acoustic drum sets, in an average Joe's home setup, sound like ear rape.

Where did I mention better/worse? Sample libraries are great, I have BFD myself. Nothing sounds and feels like acoustic drums, and I'm not talking about recording.

View Post

"...they'll never match the sound of acoustic drums." You silly guys. Ten years from now you won't even realize that what you're listening to is entirely programmed.

I'm not talking about ten years from now, I'm talking about the entry-level e-kit he is going to buy tomorrow. Ten years from now doesn't help him.
                    Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

Comment

View Post

how are you still alive with no oxygen reaching your brain?
                      the world is one big fist fight.

Originally Posted by duncan

I wonder what a persons life must be like if they're so easily affected by my posting on an Internet forum.

Originally Posted by Rear Naked

I saw 2 guys do it, and all they did was laugh really hard and say What The **************** a few times. No deaths or near-deaths occured.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti II
                        View Post

Where did I mention better/worse? Sample libraries are great, I have BFD myself. Nothing sounds and feels like acoustic drums, and I'm not talking about recording.

I'm not talking about ten years from now, I'm talking about the entry-level e-kit he is going to buy tomorrow. Ten years from now doesn't help him.

Hey, you're right? Sample Libraries ARE great! Like... good enough to allow an apartment drummer to be happy with an e-drum kit.

I'm glad we could settle this like gentlemen

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo
                          View Post

how are you still alive with no oxygen reaching your brain?

*Recognizes poster*

*Doesn't bother*

(Just joshin')

Comment

Roland V drums ftw. Pickup set with mesh heads for reduced volume, the roland cymbals are probably the quietest compared to cheaper brands.
                            Pickups and Parts For Sale...

WTB BG Pups
                            Good deals with Guitarzan1143, diceman1000, narwhal, playdabluze, GibsonVman, TFM53

Comment

I have a Roland TD9-KX in my appartment.

It works...but I'm constantly aware that the entire building is hearing the kick drum and possibly the rubber cymbals, so I only do half hour sessions after work.

Better than nothing, far from ideal.

Comment

View Post

Hey, you're right? Sample Libraries ARE great! Like... good enough to allow an apartment drummer to be happy with an e-drum kit.

I'm glad we could settle this like gentlemen

I'm certainly happy with the ekit in my apartment for practicing, and it's definitely easier to bang out a piattern than to program a piano roll. OTOH, as soon as I got my acoustic kit, I almost completely abandoned playing the ekit, and my rehearsal space is a half hour's drive from home. Playing the ekit is fun, playing the acoustic drains is also fun, but more visceral. Making a physical instrument make a sound is a far different experience than triggering a sample with a controller.

Comment

Working...
                                X