price check on old N4

hcprimerib

• Members

(reposting here because the 'guitars' forum is lame and doesn't serve my now gratification needs)

so what's a general price/value for a 91 Washburn N4? it's in good shape. dude wants to trade but I have no idea what these are worth. tried to find similar in completed auctions on ebay, didn't help.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hcprimerib View Post
(reposting here because the 'guitars' forum is lame and doesn't serve my now gratification needs)

so what's a general price/value for a 91 Washburn N4? it's in good shape. dude wants to trade but I have no idea what these are worth. tried to find similar in completed auctions on ebay, didn't help.
A new N4 these days can run you anywhere from $1800-$2300 depending on what kind of deal you get, but a couple of things look sort of off about that guitar.

1) The upper joint where the Stephens cutaway meets the body doesn't look flush. Could be the camera angle, but it's something I'd take a look at.
2) Those, especially in '91, came with a giant, shiny "N4" decal below the volume knob. Not many of these guitars came without the decal, especially back then.
3) The guitar is not stock. Hard to tell what that neck pickup is, but that bridge pickup is definitely not the Bill Lawrence that those guitars come with. What did he do to it?

This might be an N2. You absolutely sure this is 1991 N4?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
A new N4 these days can run you anywhere from $1800-$2300 depending on what kind of deal you get, but a couple of things look sort of off about that guitar.

1) The upper joint where the Stephens cutaway meets the body doesn't look flush. Could be the camera angle, but it's something I'd take a look at. None of them are. my brand new N7 has a slight raise in the upperbody area of the joint too. It's how they are.
2) Those, especially in '91, came with a giant, shiny "N4" decal below the volume knob. Not many of these guitars came without the decal, especially back then. False. Decal wasn't until later. Current N4's have the decal, though the Alder model has always been available without it.
3) The guitar is not stock. Hard to tell what that neck pickup is, but that bridge pickup is definitely not the Bill Lawrence that those guitars come with. What did he do to it? True. not stock pups

This might be an N2. You absolutely sure this is 1991 N4?
False. N2 has a 4 bolt traditional neck joint. No Stephens.

thumb.gif

• Members

OP: I'll also say that I'd play it first if I were you. The early N4's are FANTASTIC guitars, but a '91 in THAT good of shape is scary to me. Here's why..

1. You NEVER see these without body wear/dirt rubbed into the top after that long. These are essentially bare wood guitars with only a light layer of Tung oil on the body. finding one that's 21 years old, without wear only really happens with collector's pieces. This is obviously not that, since the pups have been swapped. My gut says it's a guitar that hasn't been played much. If it's 21 years old and in that good of shape, and not played much, and the pups are swapped, I'd say it's a guitar that has sat around a good bit without maintenance. I'd check the saddles and trem contact points for oxidation, and the nut.

If that's all good, this thing is awesome, and unbelievably well maintained for it's age. If he still has the stock pups, even better.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
OP: I'll also say that I'd play it first if I were you. The early N4's are FANTASTIC guitars, but a '91 in THAT good of shape is scary to me. Here's why..

1. You NEVER see these without body wear/dirt rubbed into the top after that long. These are essentially bare wood guitars with only a light layer of Tung oil on the body. finding one that's 21 years old, without wear only really happens with collector's pieces. This is obviously not that, since the pups have been swapped. My gut says it's a guitar that hasn't been played much. If it's 21 years old and in that good of shape, and not played much, and the pups are swapped, I'd say it's a guitar that has sat around a good bit without maintenance. I'd check the saddles and trem contact points for oxidation, and the nut.

If that's all good, this thing is awesome, and unbelievably well maintained for it's age. If he still has the stock pups, even better.

Yeah, it's a local acquaintance. He used to work at mom and pop music store here in the early 90's and ordered it from the Washburn rep while Nuno was doing an in-store there. He always calls it a "custom shop" N4 but I think that is because all N4's that Washburn made after they took over production from Davies, came from the custom shop guys. And I'm pretty sure those are the pickups that he ordered with it. I'll see him later this week to verify.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post

That. It's incredibly clean. I mean, take a look at Nuno's original N4. It's nowhere near it's original color. Because the guitar is such a bare wood, it takes discoloration when played extensively where it comes in contact with the skin. His guitar looks like it's been to war and back. I don't know why he'd want to swap out the Lawrence, though. Maybe to his tastes, it was a bit too hot in an alder-bodied guitar, and he wanted something with less output.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by hcprimerib View Post
Yeah, it's a local acquaintance. He used to work at mom and pop music store here in the early 90's and ordered it from the Washburn rep while Nuno was doing an in-store there. He always calls it a "custom shop" N4 but I think that is because all N4's that Washburn made after they took over production from Davies, came from the custom shop guys. And I'm pretty sure those are the pickups that he ordered with it. I'll see him later this week to verify.

Truth. All N4's and N7's are "Custom Shop", as they, and the Paul Stanley/Stu Hamm sigs are among the only guitars that are teambuilt in Chicago at the Custom Shop.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
It looks to be an N3 with pickup rings added. http://forums.washburn.com/index.php?topic=19225.0
Now that you menion it, the neck pickup ring looks kinda effed up in OP's pic.

But if it's really from 1991 it definitely ain't no N3. If the Stephens extended cutaway logo says pat pending, instead of listing pat numbers, then it is a real 91 (or at least the neck is)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post
Now that you menion it, the neck pickup ring looks kinda effed up in OP's pic.

But if it's really from 1991 it definitely ain't no N3. If the Stephens extended cutaway logo says pat pending, instead of listing pat numbers, then it is a real 91 (or at least the neck is)
Except the trem system in the OP is black, and it's chromed on the N3 listed in that link. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch

View Post

Except the trem system in the OP is black, and it's chromed on the N3 listed in that link. idn_smilie.gif

Yeah I wasn't assuming the guitar in the OP and the guitar in ledvedder's link were the same exact guitar, just that it kinda does look like the neck pickup ring in the OP's pic is kinda ghey

• Members

I went through this a few years back, when I was searching for an N4. Apparently, there's a lot of counterfeit N4's out there. I actually ended up getting an N3 for about $400. I put a 59 in the neck, a Bill Lawrence in the bridge, and upgraded the Floyd Rose. Man, I loved that guitar.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

Yeah I wasn't assuming the guitar in the OP and the guitar in ledvedder's link were the same exact guitar, just that it kinda does look like the neck pickup ring in the OP's pic is kinda ghey

Yeah, they do. I mean, that's pretty much a straight on shot down the middle of the guitar. Look close at the edge of the pickup rings on the left side of the pic. They don't look like they line up to me. Not only that, but the neck pickup ring...is it just me, or does it seem angled, like it wasn't mounted on straight?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Murdoch View Post
Not only that, but the neck pickup ring...is it just me, or does it seem angled, like it wasn't mounted on straight?
Yeah, the neck pickup ring looks like it's slightly angled and a bit of the route is peeking out on the bottom left side.

There's no way I'd buy that guitar without checking it out in person first. Seems iffy

Archived