YES! YES! My Grizzly Muff Project came to life!!!

Cougar Hunter

• Members

So, I got a Muff kit from General Guitar Gadgets. Everything in the kit is quality except for the solder.

I decided to build a Red Army/old Civil War Clone with my cache of 430pF caps and metal can transistors.

I painted it, sanded it, got the stamp/ink, lacquered it, loved it, etc.

Couldn't get it to work right. Dicked around iwth it for a while. Then it wouldn't pass any tone. idn_smilie.gifcry.gif

Fast forward many weeks. I resoldered some joints, etc. The thing came alive and roared in my face. It pretty much blew me through the wall. I had an ear to ear smile while this grizzly bear peered at me from in front of that menacing red LED.love.gif

{censored}, man. Holy {censored}. I think I might buy another GGG Muff Kit just to try another build. FWIW, BAT Pharaohs are/or were built on GGG Muff boards.

bearmuff.jpg

• Members

It is listed as a "suggested mod" under their Mod ideas. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/...8044a841b3e85a

Basically you can change C10 or C11 (I just did C10) and it makes your mids MUCH more present. Just wire 2 leads to each capacitor pad for C10 to a DPDT switch and use whatever your initial value was on one side (3n9 for Russian and I believe Civil War also) and put a 1n on the other side.

There's more complicated mods but this is the easiest and best sounding IMO.

• Members

my problem with my love for muff is this: ok you get lost in the mix, right? change some caps...bam, mid boost. ok, now you are KINDA present in the mix, with a middy sounding muff, so it doesnt sound like a muff anymore.
i need to create a way, other than using a 1,000,000W clean amp, to make the muff tone you get by yourself available in a loud band. it would devastate.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
my problem with my love for muff is this: ok you get lost in the mix, right? change some caps...bam, mid boost. ok, now you are KINDA present in the mix, with a middy sounding muff, so it doesnt sound like a muff anymore.
i need to create a way, other than using a 1,000,000W clean amp, to make the muff tone you get by yourself available in a loud band. it would devastate.
Get a second, bigger, cab, a 1000+ watt SS power amp, and put a fuzz in direct. Put it on an ABY box. Maximum Muff annihilation. That last sentence is my new punk band's name.

• Members
bigger amp + more speakers = always the answer!

Oh, and a middy preamp helps. (Marshall/Hiwatt/etc)

• Members
bigger amp + more speakers = always the answer!

Oh, and a middy preamp helps. (Marshall/Hiwatt/etc)

• Members

Very nice, you have seen my mods already and I do recomend a mid control for any muff (it makes it louder too).

I have a devi ever soda-miser kit to build, you just get the board and the resisters / capacitors, it cost $20 I am looking forward to that one.

I like the bear graphic

Archived