Framus cobra says buzzzz

Jamesrt2004

• Members

Hello!

Have my new (secondhand) cobra and having a hard time dialing it in!

Now unfortunately I'm using 18v EMG's (81/85) so it's not the most ideal till I get my aftermaths installed. But still all I get is a buzzy tone, seems like it would cut like a bitch but still sounds pretty.. Bumble bee-esque

Any help, I've seen there's a couple threads here about it but the recommended settings didn't go to well for me.

Saying that I think v1 is fubar as its crackly on all channels, so ill change that for a gold lion or mullard if I can find it in my tube box!

(Also the light has gone in the small red fender thing is that a problem? I assume it's just the slightly higher vac from running at 240v as apposed to 230v in the eu.

• Members

Hi Chris, think that may be it. Was fighting by turning treble and pres down and then it washed out pretty quick.

ATM I think pres is 2oclock and treb just past 12.

Notch switch never used, and channel vol is between 2/3 o'clock. Master always around 9am at home (lol loud amp is loud poor neighbours)

Any idea on tubes?

Thinking kt77, mullard or similar reissue for v1/ unsure for gain stages and a sovtek Lps for PI.
Seen 8th/9th gen shuguang tunes mentioned a lot but no idea what they would be branded as/rebranded as in the UK? From say hotrox or karltone? Unless that was the flavour of the month at the time?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd View Post
i only used the amp with EL34's.. I thought it sounded awesome as is, so i never wanted to put anything else in it.

Definitely back off of that presence...
Ok what do you reckon would match it well? Ruby's? Winged c's?

What about pre amp tubes? what are you running? i see you seem to know a lot lookin at the older threads smile.gif.

Does changing the pre amp tubes actually make much of a difference in this amp? I mean my blackstar it made like nothing happen whatsoever even with a tubescreamer it sounded the exact same lol!

Archived