About to sell a laptop...buyer wants signature?

Mavesicles

• Members

Is this uncommon? The buyer said "I just need a piece of paper saying that you Mave has sold me boring.gif an Asus Laptop for cop.gif. then the date and both our signatures. "

Seems like no problem, but I'm slightly annoyed by it. Does he think I'm selling him a broken laptop and therefore I'm responsible if it malfunctions in his possession? If it did, it would merely be coincidental. I'm selling it because I bought a desktop.

• Members

It's about theft.

We caught someone out a couple of years ago selling hardware from work on ebay. We noticed laptops/desktops/servers/printers going missing a lot and eventually found an eBay account one of our employees had. We had an investigation company involved which is a legal requirement for joinder; after that was done, we did a controlled buy on a couple of his items up for auction from various accounts and paid for shipping. But we also needed a receipt from him to connect the sale. Of course, they arrived and we proved that they were actually ICT stock.

The whole thing got legal after that, but he wants a receipt for proof of sale but I've not heard of it happen outside an investigation of some sort.

Question is, is your hardware legit? If so, the buyer probably has experience of this or has read it somewhere and is being cautious/a jackass. If you nicked it from work, then I would suggest you rethink the entire sale and amend your ways.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

It's about theft.

We caught someone out a couple of years ago selling hardware from work on ebay. We noticed laptops/desktops/servers/printers going missing a lot and eventually found an eBay account one of our employees had. We had an investigation company involved which is a legal requirement for joinder; after that was done, we did a controlled buy on a couple of his items up for auction from various accounts and paid for shipping. But we also needed a receipt from him to connect the sale. Of course, they arrived and we proved that they were actually ICT stock.

The whole thing got legal after that, but he wants a receipt for proof of sale but I've not heard of it happen outside an investigation of some sort.

Question is, is your hardware legit? If so, the buyer probably has experience of this or has read it somewhere and is being cautious/a jackass. If you nicked it from work, then I would suggest you rethink the entire sale and amend your ways.

100% legit. Bought it myself on Newegg.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo

View Post

maybe, just maybe, mave, you could... i don't know, ASK the buyer what teh purpose of the signature is?

but that's just coming from someone who thinks before he acts.

Not necessary at all...The information he gave, and how the buyer wants it worded is a bill of sale. Straight up.

Also Mave, I advise putting the serial number too...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Not necessary at all...The information he gave, and how the buyer wants it worded is a bill of sale. Straight up.

Also Mave, I advise putting the serial number too...

and your social security number, or whatever the {censored} system you people use.

and your bank account and routing number for your checking account.

and a sample of your semen.

and your fingerprints too.

actually, we can just lift the prints from the laptop.

Archived