There's a Car I Want To Buy Down the Street

Stonedtone

• Members

Since my trusty '01 Volvo died with 225,000 miles, I've been driving the '96 Volvo turbo wagon we bought for my daughter to use last summer. There is a real nice '03 Volvo XC down the street for $less than $7,000. I was planning on spending $23K+ on a Mini Cooper, so this may be a good option for a car that I love. Been a Volvo wagon guy for 12 years

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch View Post
And you've had good luck with em??? man, those cars scare me to death. Although, I drive a 1999 Acura 3.2TL, the dreaded transmission failure is always on my mind!!!! cry.gif
The Volvo forums are full of happy owners idn_smilie.gif

The cd changer crapped out on mine but I use the mp3 input with my phone. Other than that it's been a very reliable and enjoyable car.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch

View Post

And you've had good luck with em??? man, those cars scare me to death. Although, I drive a 1999 Acura 3.2TL, the dreaded transmission failure is always on my mind!!!! cry.gif

I drive an 04 cry.gif The transmission is always on my mind too...{censored}ing {censored}ers!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy View Post
I'm thinking about trading my 07 s40 for a newer xc60. I totally agree on the wagons but I need a bit more room. Sounds like a good deal.
Wait a min ... I thought you made 975,000 last year icon_lol.gif

Pissed me off cause you beat me by 50 grand mad.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

I drive an 04 cry.gif The transmission is always on my mind too...{censored}ing {censored}ers!

I bought a brand new 2001 TL before, leased, and during the drive back down to the Twin Cities to turn it in , it started slipping on me at 52k, turned it in without incident. I rebought a 1999 because it has the original 4 speed tranny which had better failure record than the 5 speeds do. I had to rebuy the car because it is a fantastic car IMHO, fast, quiet, sharp, and the most comfortable car I've ever driven in.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by almightycrunch

View Post

I know folks that have owned an AWD and no probs including my wife's '04

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedtone

View Post

I know folks that have owned an AWD and no probs including my wife's '04

Oh, im not saying that you're going to absolutely have issues! I've seen plenty of testimonials of them going eleventy billion miles with only routine maintenance, also seen plenty of horror stories too, like everything.

• Members

My best suggestion is to buy a junkyard tranny, then buy a tranny kit, then pay a local tranny guy to rebuild it, before you need to do it. I just missed out on a 1999 black on tan with a bad motor for 500 bucks a month ago on craigslist, car was in beautiful shape, son of a bitch!!!!!!

It just sucks that this is an issue that cant be "resolved" its an inherent issue with the tranny, you can rebuild em all you want, but it will still fail eventually. your best insurance is yearly transmission fluid flushes, doing the 3x3 method. fluid dumping will only drain 1/3 of the fluid at a time, so you need to do it 3 times with 3 quarts each, drive the car for 3-5 minutes, and then dump and add another 3 quarts x3. shift solenoid cleanings as well. Sucks, cuz otherwise, its a phenomenal car.

Archived