Best Microphone pairs for recording guitar tones.

nightflameauto

• Members

Yeah the md 421 is kinda the go to Mic to mix with the more gritty sm57.

But I feel I have a good grasp on recording, especially guitars.. And rarely, have I ever found the 2 Mic approach better than a single Mic.. Obviously the phase issues of 2 mics comes into play, and it can absolutely destroy a recording.. Although there is some simple things to listen for when setting them up that can get them in phase fairly quick..

When I use 2 mics now, I take the approach of single tracking each Mic, and quad tracking the whole song. So each side has 2 tracks (1 Mic each). This takes any phase issues out of the equation.. Cause even when I get the mics really close to in phase when I use them together, there is always a touch of the comb filtering that I hear..

And I'll throw out 2 non standard options that I use often.

EV cardinal condenser.. Can't handle real loud sources, but I've gotten some great sounding recording using just that Mic.. Rather cheap as well.. $99. At least it was when I bought mine..

I also have a modded Oktava mk 319. The new modded mics are pretty expensive nowadays, but if you can find a used one, it's a great all around Mic.. The 219 is suitable as well. Having an impedance switch on your preamp is key to dialng in that Mic, but I've gotten some of my favorite with that Mic as well

• Members

Yeah the md 421 is kinda the go to Mic to mix with the more gritty sm57.

But I feel I have a good grasp on recording, especially guitars.. And rarely, have I ever found the 2 Mic approach better than a single Mic.. Obviously the phase issues of 2 mics comes into play, and it can absolutely destroy a recording.. Although there is some simple things to listen for when setting them up that can get them in phase fairly quick..

When I use 2 mics now, I take the approach of single tracking each Mic, and quad tracking the whole song. So each side has 2 tracks (1 Mic each). This takes any phase issues out of the equation.. Cause even when I get the mics really close to in phase when I use them together, there is always a touch of the comb filtering that I hear..

And I'll throw out 2 non standard options that I use often.

EV cardinal condenser.. Can't handle real loud sources, but I've gotten some great sounding recording using just that Mic.. Rather cheap as well.. $99. At least it was when I bought mine..

I also have a modded Oktava mk 319. The new modded mics are pretty expensive nowadays, but if you can find a used one, it's a great all around Mic.. The 219 is suitable as well. Having an impedance switch on your preamp is key to dialng in that Mic, but I've gotten some of my favorite with that Mic as well

• Members

OK, now that the forum SEEMS to be functional for a moment:

Reason I'm asking is I'm currently recording with an e609 + a crappy old condensor and blending them with some phase inversion trickery which sucks some of the harshness out of the 609's basic tonal character. However, the condensor I'm using is horrible about picking up {censored} it shouldn't. I have a cricket supply for the geckos in the back corner of the room about twelve feet away from the amp and sometimes I'll hear chirps from them mid riffin' even when I'm cranked up. It's ridiculous. I love the blended tone, HATE the off-axis noise.

I keep thinking I should pick up a 421 and a 57. I may end up doing that in the next couple months. I'm starting to get serious about recording again.

If only I could get serious about writing good songs again. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nakedzen View Post
The md421 is great for getting some scooped aggression to the mix. For a more even tone I highly recommend the Beyerdynamic M201, a really nice mic for pretty much anything. Here's a short snippet, first the SM57 then the M201:

https://soundcloud.com/nakedzen/sm57...rduynamic-m201
Nice comparison. I may look into one of those too.

• Members
However' date=' the condensor I'm using is horrible about picking up {censored} it shouldn't. I have a cricket supply for the geckos in the back corner of the room about twelve feet away from the amp and sometimes I'll hear chirps from them mid riffin' even when I'm cranked up. It's ridiculous. I love the blended tone, HATE the off-axis noise.

QUOTE']
Heres a trick to reduce flutter echo and extraneous noise with a condensor . Build a mic tent. Get a sleeping bag or a couple thick blankets . Set up the dynamic mic within a fist length of the cone. Then the condensor a foot or so back. Then drap the blankets over the top of the cab and around the mics. Also the louder the amp is cranked the harder it is to get a reasonable sound. good luck!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Krank'N

View Post

Heres a trick to reduce flutter echo and extraneous noise with a condensor . Build a mic tent. Get a sleeping bag or a couple thick blankets . Set up the dynamic mic within a fist length of the cone. Then the condensor a foot or so back. Then drap the blankets over the top of the cab and around the mics. Also the louder the amp is cranked the harder it is to get a reasonable sound. good luck!

You know, I actually rearranged my recording room a couple weekends ago and am in the process of putting together a foam "wall" around the cab I use so it may do the same basic thing. Part of that's to block out the external noise, part of it's to block the amp from me while I'm recording so I can hear the drum tracks in the headphones a little better.

Archived