WOT: Just got a Crock pot.. Needs recipes..

ju5t1n20

• Members

So over the last ten years I have had a crock pot from college. Just big enought for a few quarts. Well I got a 7qt cooker yesterday. Now i need some recipes... This way I can cook the day before and take my lunch and save some moniez..

Now give em to me!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very simple.

Brown meat of some kind. You don't have to but the resulting flavors are far superior.

Cover with liquid or sauce of your choice.

Let crock pot do its thing on low for 6 to 8 hours.

e.g. #1:

Take lamb, trim off fat, cut into bite size pieces, brown, pat off oil with paper towel, put into crock pot.

Saut

• Members

Anybody else have a problem with the lid on a crockpot? I had a 6 or 7qt Crock Pot brand, but it never worked correctly because the lid wouldn't sit flush/stay in place even on low, so all the water would evaporate and the food would turn into a paste-like substance and stick to the pot. MFPOMFS.

• Members

ps1: go easy on the spices until you get a feel for what works for you, generally speaking you need less than you'd normally need.

ps2: beef and ham do not do as we'll as lamb, chicken or pork IMO. They're not "bad", I still do them, they're just "ok" comparatively speaking.

ps3: when the cooking is complete you can add veg cooked separately, e.g. roast yams to slow cooked lamb curry, and its a {censored}ing win.

• Members

This is my wife's rib recipe...{censored}'s delicious...

Molasses and Mustard glazed Ribs.

1/2 cup Dijon mustard

1/2 cup dark (NOT blackstrap) molasses

1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

2 tbsp tomato paste

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

4lb bone in country style pork ribs or baby back ribs, cut into 4 rib sections.

Combine mustard, molasses, sugar, tomato paste, vinegar, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in small saucepan.

Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer until thickened, about 5-10minutes. Set aside to cool.

Wash ribs under water and cut into sections.

Brush rib sections thickly with sauce and place in slow cooker.

Cook on low until meat is tender and easily removed from bone, approx. 4-6 hours.

Glaze ribs with sauce before serving.

• Members

I invented this one. Get a little package of Stew Meat or whatever, they make these specifically for crock-pot people. Put that in a tupperware bowl, and pour some brown sugar in there. The meat will absorb the brown sugar, so don't be fooled and put too much in. Seal the tupperware and let it sit for 2 or 3 days in the fridge...

Put the whole thing in the crock pot, juices and all. Then put some spices in there (I personally will put a little Accent, some salt and pepper, some onion powder, etc.), some water, potatoes, and maybe some Corn Starch to thicken things up a little. Cook for 8 hours. Heaven!

Or, buy one of those little turkey breasts in the frozen section, they should have no bones, will have a little packet of gravy in them, and will fit perfectly in a little crock pot. Put all that and a little water in the crock pot for 8 hrs. So good...!!!

• Members

It's reealllly good for making tomato sauce with meatballs. The meatballs will literally melt in your mouth.

I've also done trul fall of the bone ribs in the slow cooker, just broil them first.

Brisket can be done 1000 ways in it. Just experiment with different additions

Stew works really well.

I realize none of those are really recipies, but personally, I find the experimentation within a given concept to be half the fun.

• Members

Biggest problem i ran into at first is making sure the recipe is written out for the RIGHT SIZE of slow-cooker. I have two different Crock Pots, and my wife always tries making the smaller recipes in the large Crock Pot, then leaves the cover off for a bunch of the cooking time, THEN gets pissed when they turn out dry or burnt.

I'm a much better cook than my wife. My wife knows a ton more about cars. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Pasta Fagiole:

2 lbs ground beef

1 onion, chopped

3 carrots, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained

1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained

3 (10 ounce) cans beef stock

3 teaspoons oregano

2 teaspoons pepper

5 teaspoons parsley

1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional) I used Sriracha and I don't consider hot sauce optional.

1 (20 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce

8 ounces pasta

Directions:

Brown beef in a skillet.

Drain fat from beef and add to crock pot with everything except pasta.

Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.

During last 30 min on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta.

It fills my 7 quart, and it is 100% delicious.

• Members

Here is a super simple soup recipe that is quite delicious!

White Bean Soup

2 tbsp olive oil

1 small onion, finely chopped

3 cloves or garlic, finely chopped

3 [15.5 oz] cans white beans, rinsed and drained

1 smoked pork chop or 2 smoked ham hocks

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

3 sprigs fresh thyme

salt & pepper

1. Warm olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.

2. Scrape onions and garlic into slow cooker. Add beans, pork chop, broth, 1 cup of water, and thyme and cook on low heat for 4 to 5 hours, until beans are tender; adding more water during cooking if necessary]

3. Discard thyme sprigs. Remove pork chop and shred meat. Return meat to soup. Season with salt and pepper, and then serve.

I personally just cut up a piece of ham and toss it in with good results. I haven't used the pork chop method yet [i bet it would be good though], so I can't comment on that portion. The recipe is way delicious!!!

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Charlie

View Post

Anybody else have a problem with the lid on a crockpot? I had a 6 or 7qt Crock Pot brand, but it never worked correctly because the lid wouldn't sit flush/stay in place even on low, so all the water would evaporate and the food would turn into a paste-like substance and stick to the pot. MFPOMFS.

My lid doesn't sit flush on my Crockpot either, but I always cook stuff on low and have no issues with over evaporation. You probably just need to add some extra water during the cooking time...

Cole

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_E_McGee

View Post

Pasta Fagiole:

2 lbs ground beef

1 onion, chopped

3 carrots, chopped

4 stalks celery, chopped

2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained

1 (16 ounce) can white kidney beans, drained

3 (10 ounce) cans beef stock

3 teaspoons oregano

2 teaspoons pepper

5 teaspoons parsley

1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional) I used Sriracha and I don't consider hot sauce optional.

1 (20 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce

8 ounces pasta

Directions:

Brown beef in a skillet.

Drain fat from beef and add to crock pot with everything except pasta.

Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.

During last 30 min on high or 1 hour on low, add pasta.

It fills my 7 quart, and it is 100% delicious.

dang,

that sounds delicious. going to make it this weekend.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelin Rules

View Post

It's reealllly good for making tomato sauce with meatballs. The meatballs will literally melt in your mouth.

I've done this serveral times with Italian meatballs from the frozen section and a jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce. Sooo good over pasta or as a sammich.

Archived