OT: Suit shopping...

Sex Panther

• Members

Where do you guys get your suits?

I'm looking to pick a couple up. Probably 1 gray, and 1 black. Slim/modern fit. The gray one for interviews and more professional occasions, and the black for more formal occasions. I'd also like the black jacket to go with jeans.

Price isn't a huge issue, but let's stay away from $2,000 Armani's (As much as I'd love to)

I know some of you guys are snazzy dressers...help a brotha out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can always hit Jos A Banks for inexpensive suits. I'm a big fan of Hugo Boss, though I don't know if it's out of your price range. There's a a Hugo outlet in Cleveland.

Where ever you get it, find a good tailor via yelp and have it tailored. That's just as important as the suit itself.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by isvoid View Post
You're too fat right now. Wait until you lean up or it will hang on you like an old tent once you reach your target weight. Just sayin'. Love izzy.
Haha, I'm really not. I'm back down to about 166, and have about 10 lbs to lose, max. I don't need to wear the suit for a while, so I'd have them take it in a hair more than I'd need now. Sort of a motivational suit. icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
You can always hit Jos A Banks for inexpensive suits. I'm a big fan of Hugo Boss, though I don't know if it's out of your price range. There's a a Hugo outlet in Cleveland.

Where ever you get it, find a good tailor via yelp and have it tailored. That's just as important as the suit itself.
I'll look into it. I'd like to keep it around a grand for both, but I know that may be hard. I will DEFINITELY have it tailored. I have a charcoal one now that's pretty nice that I need to get tailored still...

Quote Originally Posted by Macelind View Post
This is where I'm buying my next suit.

http://www.indochino.com/
Checking it out now, thanks!

• Members

I came in here to recommend jos a. They are having ridiculous deals almost all the time now and are good quality suits.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by isvoid View Post
NTTAWWT redface.gif
Quote Originally Posted by -Assy- View Post
Only buy super 100s wool or better unless it's a one-time-wear (for a special event).

Nordstrom is my go-to place, and I have my own tailor do the fitting. Joe Abboud and Hugo Boss are good starter suits.
Yeah, there's a Nordstroms about a half hour from here. I was considering checking it out.

• Members

Couple of options

Do you have a Nordstrom rack near by? I got a few Ben Sherman 3 piecers for around $500 they have a pretty modern fit so no major alterations needed.

Alfani red at Macy's makes some nice fitting and quality suits. Don't bother with the suit separates, they are more slim fit

Finally, express. Laugh all you want, but at $400 these are great suits that fit nicely and probably y draw the most compliments out of any of my suits stay away from the photographer line, as they are very very slim fit. They are currently doing 40% site wide with free shipping. I think we are close to the same size, and I do a 40 regular, 30 waist.

• Members
On second though, make sure you read the comments on that Indochino review.
indochino suits are {censored}. Good quality production, good prices, {censored} material. Same {censored} as Joe A Banks. Decent suit, but the wool is complete {censored}. My friend ordered one, wrinkles so easily, always has to get it pressed. Suits can only be pressed so many times before the material turns to {censored}.

high quality wool, take care of it, I take my suits to the dry cleaners twice a year maybe? Shirts, I get 1-3 wears out of them depending on the style of undershirt and what I did when I wore it. If I wear it out to get a few drinks, it comes home and right back on the hanger. Long night out, fancy dinner, drinks, sex, gets left on a floor all night? Yeah its going in a bag and getting dry cleaned.

• Members

Ha, just checked...that's less than 6 miles from my house. Might have to check it out.

• Members
On second though, make sure you read the comments on that Indochino review.
indochino suits are {censored}. Good quality production, good prices, {censored} material. Same {censored} as Joe A Banks. Decent suit, but the wool is complete {censored}. My friend ordered one, wrinkles so easily, always has to get it pressed. Suits can only be pressed so many times before the material turns to {censored}.

high quality wool, take care of it, I take my suits to the dry cleaners twice a year maybe? Shirts, I get 1-3 wears out of them depending on the style of undershirt and what I did when I wore it. If I wear it out to get a few drinks, it comes home and right back on the hanger. Long night out, fancy dinner, drinks, sex, gets left on a floor all night? Yeah its going in a bag and getting dry cleaned.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Couple of options

Do you have a Nordstrom rack near by? I got a few Ben Sherman 3 piecers for around $500 they have a pretty modern fit so no major alterations needed.

Alfani red at Macy's makes some nice fitting and quality suits. Don't bother with the suit separates, they are more slim fit

Finally, express. Laugh all you want, but at $400 these are great suits that fit nicely and probably y draw the most compliments out of any of my suits stay away from the photographer line, as they are very very slim fit. They are currently doing 40% site wide with free shipping. I think we are close to the same size, and I do a 40 regular, 30 waist.
Express suits are pretty good. Do not deny the infinite power of Banana Republic. That is some high quality {censored}. All of it is hand-tailored and super 120 wool.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers View Post
Couple of options

I wouldn't laugh. I used to work at Express, and 90 percent of my clothes are from there. icon_lol.gif

I actually had a really nice black suit from them that required NO tailoring. Arms, length, chest, and stomach were all perfect. I just outgrew it. It was a 36R, and I'm now a 40-42, so I gave it to a friend of mine. GREAT suit.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Sex Panther View Post
I wouldn't laugh. I used to work at Express, and 90 percent of my clothes are from there. icon_lol.gif

I actually had a really nice black suit from them that required NO tailoring. Arms, length, chest, and stomach were all perfect. I just outgrew it. It was a 36R, and I'm now a 40-42, so I gave it to a friend of mine. GREAT suit.
my trouble is finding a particular fit. I am trimmed for a 29'' waist, wear a 43/44 up top. all the pants I find within that 32-33 range (before tailoring) are slim in the legs, and my quads don't fit.

Archived