Info needed *Genz Benz El Diablo 50/100 Head*

ripton

• Members

Anyone own or have owned one of these amps? I need some info.

How versatile is it? I heard it's a high gainer, what other amp can it be compared too?
Is it even worth looking into? Did these amps have any common issues, or defective parts?

• Members

Probably the most hated amp ever on Harmony Central.

I had the 60 watt head and could never get an OD/Dist tone out of it that I liked. It seemed sterile and lifeless. I swapped out all the preamp tubes, tried both 6L6 and EL34s in the power section. I tried 3 different speaker cabs. Nothing seemed to help. I thought the clean was ok but that's not why I bought this amp. After a few months of dicking with it I sold it.

The good in my opinion were the features and versatility. I really wanted to like this amp but it just did not work for me.

Oh and before anybody tells me I need to learn how to EQ an amp or that I need to understand how to use active EQ, STFU.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
Ah hell, that was 4-5 years ago. I've been thru a lot of amps since then.

Right now I'm really liking my Blackstar HT40. I've had it for a few weeks and think it's a keeper, at least for a year or two. biggrin.gif
I know the feeling. Sometimes it's more about getting something different to tinker with, then actual tone chasing.
I've got one amp that isn't going anywhere and that's my 5150!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jds22 View Post
Probably the most hated amp ever on Harmony Central.

I had the 60 watt head and could never get an OD/Dist tone out of it that I liked. It seemed sterile and lifeless. I swapped out all the preamp tubes, tried both 6L6 and EL34s in the power section. I tried 3 different speaker cabs. Nothing seemed to help. I thought the clean was ok but that's not why I bought this amp. After a few months of dicking with it I sold it.

The good in my opinion were the features and versatility. I really wanted to like this amp but it just did not work for me.

Oh and before anybody tells me I need to learn how to EQ an amp or that I need to understand how to use active EQ, STFU.
Pretty much this ^ exactly for me as well.

I had mine for months trying to like it. I tried multiple cabs, EQ both out front and in the loop, multiple OD pedals, nothing made the amp come to life. If you're looking for a high gain head, stay away from the El Diablo! You mentioned already having a 5150, which is what I went to after selling the Genz Benz. In my case I was so happy with the 5150 seeing as the El Diablo sucked so much, but you'll be even MORE disappointed in it than I was since you'd be hearing it after already having a 5150. It is nowhere near the same ballpark as almost any other "high gain" head on the market. I'm currently running a Framus Dragon which I personally prefer to my old modded 5150 as well, and I play modern metal. If you want a versatile high gainer, I'd try out a Dragon if you have the chance.

• Members

I had one for about 5 months and used it in a band situation. It was just OK, it never did anything well. It was a very dark amp and even though I generally like dark amps it was way too dark. I would never buy this amp again.

Does everything OK, nothing well.

• Members

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, my first thought was just to pass on it, as I've never really even heard anything about it. Until now....which isn't good.
As I stated above I have a 5150 which is a beast and love the tone I'm getting and have it dialed in and do not want to mess with it.
I just WANT another amp to tinker with and cover other styles, and not worry about changing it daily.

I play all sort of styles, blues, rock, metal.....and lots of lead playing. I was thinking a Egnater renegade would do the trick. Suggestions, comments?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ripton View Post
Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, my first thought was just to pass on it, as I've never really even heard anything about it. Until now....which isn't good.
As I stated above I have a 5150 which is a beast and love the tone I'm getting and have it dialed in and do not want to mess with it.
I just WANT another amp to tinker with and cover other styles, and not worry about changing it daily.

I play all sort of styles, blues, rock, metal.....and lots of lead playing. I was thinking a Egnater renegade would do the trick. Suggestions, comments?
I think it will make a pretty good compliment for the 5150.

• Members

Tin ears, all of you tin ears!

I have an El D 100/50 head and 60/30 combo. The active EQ and the tube contour control make them harder amps to dial in, you're not just doing the ole 10/0/10 EQ setting, but if you pay attention to what you're doing and use your ears rather than your eyes to craft your tones you will be fine. Clean to crunch to blues to balls out, an El Diablo will work for you if you work for it.

Every tone I get out of my VH100R I can get out of my El Diablo amps, w/o out the hiss of that the Laney tosses with the boost is engaged.

If I only could keep 2 of my amps, I'd keep my Mesa Road King and my El Diablo combo. I'd have a 100 watt head for all those times I need one (like never!) and the combo for less power times. Honestly, the combo is a little more versatile than the head as it doesn't need so much volume to really shine. If you're not opening the head up beyond 4 on the volume, the 100 head will sound a little muffled once you step on the compressed option. The global attack will give you back some of what the compressed squished.

Use your ears, small turns on the knobs, and you're going to do fine.

I used their "industrial" setting as a jump off point for my gain tones.

Derek

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy View Post

I have an El D 100/50 head and 60/30 combo. The active EQ and the tube contour control make them harder amps to dial in, you're not just doing the ole 10/0/10 EQ setting, but if you pay attention to what you're doing and use your ears rather than your eyes to craft your tones you will be fine. Clean to crunch to blues to balls out, an El Diablo will work for you if you work for it.

Every tone I get out of my VH100R I can get out of my El Diablo amps, w/o out the hiss of that the Laney tosses with the boost is engaged.

If I only could keep 2 of my amps, I'd keep my Mesa Road King and my El Diablo combo. I'd have a 100 watt head for all those times I need one (like never!) and the combo for less power times. Honestly, the combo is a little more versatile than the head as it doesn't need so much volume to really shine. If you're not opening the head up beyond 4 on the volume, the 100 head will sound a little muffled once you step on the compressed option. The global attack will give you back some of what the compressed squished.

Derek
Maybe you just have really shitty tones.....

• Members

Derek
Yeah, because what's more likely,

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) who find the Genz Benz El Diablo to be a piece of shit

or

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) having tin ears.

• Members

Derek

If you think "the ole 10/0/10 EQ setting" actually works for ANY amp, then maybe that explains why you like the El Diablo.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Yeah, because what's more likely,

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) who find the Genz Benz El Diablo to be a piece of shit

or

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) having tin ears.
troof! testify my bruva

• Members

I got the black pearl 30 recently and really like that, though a few other people that got some from the same batch (it was an end of line sale) have had troubles with theirs. Hard to imagine the El Diablo could be so awful, but there's plenty of testimony here to that effect. But don't lay into the guy who likes it: There's more than one way to skin a cat.

• Members

LOL

HCAF runs hotter and colder than a broad having her change of life. Just takes one of the clique to suddenly not like something and the worm turns against the product. Then all the parrots repeat the first's statements as if they're fact. poke.gif

Like I said in my original post, and have always said, the Genz Benz El Diablo is a very capable amp, it will do if you will do. You can't drive an amp, it'll show how poorly you can't drive an amp. You can't play your guitar, it'll show how poorly you can't play your guitar. You can't drive an amp or play a guitar, it'll show both to everyone. YMMV but that varied mileage'll have more to do with what I mentioned.

The controls are incredibly responsive and sensitive, think a bad tooth and a mouthful of ice sensitive. Lick clicks = dramatic changes.

I've owned El D 100 for nearly a decade, the 60/30 combo for two years. Each are great amps that can do many things well rather than just shining in one tone/type of music.

BTW I didn't say that 10/0/10 = good tone, but the cult of personality about HCAF seems to when they pile on (off) flavors of the month! thumb.gif

Derek

Archived