Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info needed *Genz Benz El Diablo 50/100 Head*

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, my first thought was just to pass on it, as I've never really even heard anything about it. Until now....which isn't good.

As I stated above I have a 5150 which is a beast and love the tone I'm getting and have it dialed in and do not want to mess with it.

I just WANT another amp to tinker with and cover other styles, and not worry about changing it daily.

I play all sort of styles, blues, rock, metal.....and lots of lead playing. I was thinking a Egnater renegade would do the trick. Suggestions, comments?
    Gear

Guitars
    Ibanez 2550egk
    Ibanez Js100
    Ibanez Rg270
    Jackson DK2M
    Amps
    Carvin Legacy
    Randall Rg12m

Effects

,Podxt, Boss Ds-1, Sd-1 Ce5,

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ripton
      View Post

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, my first thought was just to pass on it, as I've never really even heard anything about it. Until now....which isn't good.

As I stated above I have a 5150 which is a beast and love the tone I'm getting and have it dialed in and do not want to mess with it.

I just WANT another amp to tinker with and cover other styles, and not worry about changing it daily.

I play all sort of styles, blues, rock, metal.....and lots of lead playing. I was thinking a Egnater renegade would do the trick. Suggestions, comments?

I think it will make a pretty good compliment for the 5150.
      http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php

Comment

Tin ears, all of you tin ears!

I have an El D 100/50 head and 60/30 combo. The active EQ and the tube contour control make them harder amps to dial in, you're not just doing the ole 10/0/10 EQ setting, but if you pay attention to what you're doing and use your ears rather than your eyes to craft your tones you will be fine. Clean to crunch to blues to balls out, an El Diablo will work for you if you work for it.

Every tone I get out of my VH100R I can get out of my El Diablo amps, w/o out the hiss of that the Laney tosses with the boost is engaged.

If I only could keep 2 of my amps, I'd keep my Mesa Road King and my El Diablo combo. I'd have a 100 watt head for all those times I need one (like never!) and the combo for less power times. Honestly, the combo is a little more versatile than the head as it doesn't need so much volume to really shine. If you're not opening the head up beyond 4 on the volume, the 100 head will sound a little muffled once you step on the compressed option. The global attack will give you back some of what the compressed squished.

Use your ears, small turns on the knobs, and you're going to do fine.

I used their "industrial" setting as a jump off point for my gain tones.

Derek

Comment

I'd rather have a Blue Voodoo.

Actually, I'd rather have a broken Blue Voodoo.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Viesczy
            View Post

I have an El D 100/50 head and 60/30 combo. The active EQ and the tube contour control make them harder amps to dial in, you're not just doing the ole 10/0/10 EQ setting, but if you pay attention to what you're doing and use your ears rather than your eyes to craft your tones you will be fine. Clean to crunch to blues to balls out, an El Diablo will work for you if you work for it.

Every tone I get out of my VH100R I can get out of my El Diablo amps, w/o out the hiss of that the Laney tosses with the boost is engaged.

If I only could keep 2 of my amps, I'd keep my Mesa Road King and my El Diablo combo. I'd have a 100 watt head for all those times I need one (like never!) and the combo for less power times. Honestly, the combo is a little more versatile than the head as it doesn't need so much volume to really shine. If you're not opening the head up beyond 4 on the volume, the 100 head will sound a little muffled once you step on the compressed option. The global attack will give you back some of what the compressed squished.

Derek

Maybe you just have really ****************ty tones.....

Comment

View Post

Derek

Yeah, because what's more likely,

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) who find the Genz Benz El Diablo to be a piece of ****************

or

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) having tin ears.
              HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

View Post

Derek

If you think "the ole 10/0/10 EQ setting" actually works for ANY amp, then maybe that explains why you like the El Diablo.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by duncan
                  View Post

Yeah, because what's more likely,

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) who find the Genz Benz El Diablo to be a piece of ****************

or

the vast majority of posters on HCAF (likely numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands) having tin ears.

troof! testify my bruva
                  no more sig

Comment

I got the black pearl 30 recently and really like that, though a few other people that got some from the same batch (it was an end of line sale) have had troubles with theirs. Hard to imagine the El Diablo could be so awful, but there's plenty of testimony here to that effect. But don't lay into the guy who likes it: There's more than one way to skin a cat.
                    Originally Posted by telephant

Tone is really half the argument. We both know ultimately it means nothing. Write a song. Write. A ****************ing. Song.

UK based band;
                    http://www.captainhorizon.co.uk

Comment

LOL

HCAF runs hotter and colder than a broad having her change of life. Just takes one of the clique to suddenly not like something and the worm turns against the product. Then all the parrots repeat the first's statements as if they're fact.

Like I said in my original post, and have always said, the Genz Benz El Diablo is a very capable amp, it will do if you will do. You can't drive an amp, it'll show how poorly you can't drive an amp. You can't play your guitar, it'll show how poorly you can't play your guitar. You can't drive an amp or play a guitar, it'll show both to everyone. YMMV but that varied mileage'll have more to do with what I mentioned.

The controls are incredibly responsive and sensitive, think a bad tooth and a mouthful of ice sensitive. Lick clicks = dramatic changes.

I've owned El D 100 for nearly a decade, the 60/30 combo for two years. Each are great amps that can do many things well rather than just shining in one tone/type of music.

BTW I didn't say that 10/0/10 = good tone, but the cult of personality about HCAF seems to when they pile on (off) flavors of the month!

Derek

Comment

View Post

LOL

HCAF runs hotter and colder than a broad having her change of life. Just takes one of the clique to suddenly not like something and the worm turns against the product. Then all the parrots repeat the first's statements as if they're fact.

Like I said in my original post, and have always said, the Genz Benz El Diablo is a very capable amp, it will do if you will do. You can't drive an amp, it'll show how poorly you can't drive an amp. You can't play your guitar, it'll show how poorly you can't play your guitar. You can't drive an amp or play a guitar, it'll show both to everyone. YMMV but that varied mileage'll have more to do with what I mentioned.

The controls are incredibly responsive and sensitive, think a bad tooth and a mouthful of ice sensitive. Lick clicks = dramatic changes.

I've owned El D 100 for nearly a decade, the 60/30 combo for two years. Each are great amps that can do many things well rather than just shining in one tone/type of music.

BTW I didn't say that 10/0/10 = good tone, but the cult of personality about HCAF seems to when they pile on (off) flavors of the month!

Derek

Clips or you are full of bull****************.

Comment

View Post

LOL

Derek

LOL how much is someone paying you to be posting this ****************? You've got to be trolling.

The cleans you can get out of it aren't the worst thing in the world, but if you think for a second that it gets "good" high gain tone, you're obviously the one with the tin ear. Countless people here, including myself, have owned them through multiple cabs, guitars, EQ, boosts, tubes. There's nothing you can do short of gutting the entire headshell to get it to have anywhere near good tone. It's one of the worst amps I've played through in my life, and I've gigged and recording through enough different ones to see how much it sucked.

Comment

I got along with it just fine when I had one Never understood all the hate. Very VERY versatile amp.

Then again, maybe my toanz suck

HCAF herd hate. Gotta love it.

Comment

XXX > el diablo
                              no more sig

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by FrostByte
                                View Post

I got along with it just fine when I had one Never understood all the hate. Very VERY versatile amp.

Then again, maybe my toanz suck

HCAF herd hate. Gotta love it.

That's because we have all played it. And it's passable at best.

Also 5150, some love, some hate, some don't care.

Comment

Working...
                                X