Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info needed *Genz Benz El Diablo 50/100 Head*

Anyone own or have owned one of these amps? I need some info.

How versatile is it? I heard it's a high gainer, what other amp can it be compared too?

Is it even worth looking into? Did these amps have any common issues, or defective parts?
    Gear

Guitars
    Ibanez 2550egk
    Ibanez Js100
    Ibanez Rg270
    Jackson DK2M
    Amps
    Carvin Legacy
    Randall Rg12m

Effects

,Podxt, Boss Ds-1, Sd-1 Ce5,

Probably the most hated amp ever on Harmony Central.

I had the 60 watt head and could never get an OD/Dist tone out of it that I liked. It seemed sterile and lifeless. I swapped out all the preamp tubes, tried both 6L6 and EL34s in the power section. I tried 3 different speaker cabs. Nothing seemed to help. I thought the clean was ok but that's not why I bought this amp. After a few months of dicking with it I sold it.

The good in my opinion were the features and versatility. I really wanted to like this amp but it just did not work for me.

Oh and before anybody tells me I need to learn how to EQ an amp or that I need to understand how to use active EQ, STFU.
    "You won't like me when I'm angry because I back up my rage with facts and documented sources" ~ The Credible Hulk

Comment

haha. Just curious what amp did you end up getting or have now?
      Gear

Guitars
      Ibanez 2550egk
      Ibanez Js100
      Ibanez Rg270
      Jackson DK2M
      Amps
      Carvin Legacy
      Randall Rg12m

Effects

Comment

Ah hell, that was 4-5 years ago. I've been thru a lot of amps since then.

Right now I'm really liking my Blackstar HT40. I've had it for a few weeks and think it's a keeper, at least for a year or two.
        "You won't like me when I'm angry because I back up my rage with facts and documented sources" ~ The Credible Hulk

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jds22
          View Post

Ah hell, that was 4-5 years ago. I've been thru a lot of amps since then.

Right now I'm really liking my Blackstar HT40. I've had it for a few weeks and think it's a keeper, at least for a year or two.

I know the feeling. Sometimes it's more about getting something different to tinker with, then actual tone chasing.

I've got one amp that isn't going anywhere and that's my 5150!!
          Gear

Guitars
          Ibanez 2550egk
          Ibanez Js100
          Ibanez Rg270
          Jackson DK2M
          Amps
          Carvin Legacy
          Randall Rg12m

Effects

Comment

The El Diablo is a truly awful amp. For the same money. There is so much out there that's better.
            HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

Had one years ago. Took it back quickly. The only guitar amp I like from genz benz is the black pearl but that is a one channel vintage sounding amp not for heavy stuff.
              For SaleBoss OBD-3 Bass Distortion Like New $45 shipped.MXR Boost/Line Driver great condition with velcro. $60 shipped.Tech 21 Power Engine 60 Like new. $225

Comment

never owned one but have played thru one.very generic/sterile tone IMO. get a peavey XXX you will be much better off
                no more sig

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by jds22
                  View Post

Probably the most hated amp ever on Harmony Central.

I had the 60 watt head and could never get an OD/Dist tone out of it that I liked. It seemed sterile and lifeless. I swapped out all the preamp tubes, tried both 6L6 and EL34s in the power section. I tried 3 different speaker cabs. Nothing seemed to help. I thought the clean was ok but that's not why I bought this amp. After a few months of dicking with it I sold it.

The good in my opinion were the features and versatility. I really wanted to like this amp but it just did not work for me.

Oh and before anybody tells me I need to learn how to EQ an amp or that I need to understand how to use active EQ, STFU.

Pretty much this ^ exactly for me as well.

I had mine for months trying to like it. I tried multiple cabs, EQ both out front and in the loop, multiple OD pedals, nothing made the amp come to life. If you're looking for a high gain head, stay away from the El Diablo! You mentioned already having a 5150, which is what I went to after selling the Genz Benz. In my case I was so happy with the 5150 seeing as the El Diablo sucked so much, but you'll be even MORE disappointed in it than I was since you'd be hearing it after already having a 5150. It is nowhere near the same ballpark as almost any other "high gain" head on the market. I'm currently running a Framus Dragon which I personally prefer to my old modded 5150 as well, and I play modern metal. If you want a versatile high gainer, I'd try out a Dragon if you have the chance.

Comment

Looks cool, sounds like balls.

Do not get.

What were you hoping to cover with it so we can make alternative suggestions.
                    Current Gear
                    ESP/Fender >> Blackstar/Randall >> Randall/Mesa

Tully's Shop - Excellent Luthier work and Custom Guitars in the Chicago area

Comment

There's been one at my local pawnshop for $500 for the last 3 years. I'm fairly certain that's an indication of what even the trailer trash metalheads around me think of them. Never played on myself though.
                      Originally Posted by TheEternal

Can't you just let Jesus melt your face?

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

life's too short not to eat bee's

Good Transactions

Peavey Bravo 112, Acoustic Control Corp 150 (x2), Peavey VTM120, Mesa Metal Grille Halfback 2x12, Tubeworks vert 2x12, Peavey 1810
                      Godin SD24, Squier Standard Strat, Ibanez "Millenium" Destroyer, Agile 3100, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Peavey Reactor

Fix Congress First

Comment

El ****************o
                        http://www.guitarampboard.comLike my band on FB: http://www.facebook.com/thefew1All prices include shipping to ConUS.

Comment

I had one for about 5 months and used it in a band situation. It was just OK, it never did anything well. It was a very dark amp and even though I generally like dark amps it was way too dark. I would never buy this amp again.

Does everything OK, nothing well.

My rig:
                          Edwards ELP-112LTS/RE

Butler Silver Hammer
                          ISP Vector SL
                          Kafel 412

List of Over 40+ Good Deals on HC!!!

Comment

Total ****************e.
                            Gibson Les Paul Traditional
                            Warmoth Custom Soloist
                            Ibanez S370
                            Gibson SG Special
                            '77 Marshall JMP 2203
                            http://www.myspace.com/sonicimages
                            --------

Originally Posted by RaceU4her

i have 12,000+ posts at HCAF, of course im a ****************ing tone guru

Comment

worst amp ever.
                              BRO CLUB Member: BROSLINGER
                              Proudly uses: STOMP UNDER FOOT pedals.

Comment

Working...
                              X