Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to push an 8 ohm cabinet with a 4 ohm head?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice I've always followed is to match impedances with valve amps and always use the same or higher impedance as specified with transformer keys (SS) units.

Comment

Jesus suffering ****************. How many times does it need to be explained that mismatching into a higher load can create large flyback voltages that can destroy an output transformer in a tube amp? It will also generate massive screen currents and blow your tubes.

Edit - not a dig at the op, just people who churn out the same misinformation
      DCC Engineering. Custom Cabs and Effects.

Originally Posted by -Assy-

Okay I summed up this entire thread in three posts. Let's go home and beat our children.

Comment

A decent amp can handle 1-up and 1-down without any issues... more than that can be iffy.... but 8 ohm cab with 4 ohm head should be a safe mismatch for most amps.
        http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Ohms don't matter, do what u want........im sure someone will tell you that.
          I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

Comment

When i had my Dual Showman it was only able to run at 4ohms, I used a switcher between that and my JMP into a 4x12 at 8ohms and it was fine for years.
            Guitars:
            2012 Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute Goldtop
            2011 Ibanez RG3550MZ Galaxy Black
            Amps:
            Marshall 78' JMP MKII 2204
            Peavey XXX 4x12 Slant
            Effects:
            Fulltone OCD
            MXR Chorus 3 Knob
            DOD Phasor 401
            MXR Carbon Copy
            Barber Tone Press
            Korg PitchBlack Tuner
            ToneBone Bigshot ABY/EFX
            MKS Pedal Pad II

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by DARKMETL/
              View Post

I believe this is generally ok. Just makes the amp work a bit harder. I used a 8ohm Mesa .50 Cal head for a long time with a Marshall 16ohm cab with no issues...

Mesa amps generally don't have this issue because the quality of transformers used. Most other amps, I'd reccomend that the ohms match accordingly. Short answer...depends on amp.
              *********PROUD MEMBER OF THE GIBSON MAFIA***********
              Good Deals with: Box handler,the4thlast1,meowy,
              61reissue,Yavin,tspit74,musiclikscreams,Dega500,
              Powerglide350, Dark Sound,ambitot pu phan, DJFrank(x2),Salameri544,CRANK,BloodBros,ChuckMehh, Devnulljp,Dark Aegis,TheIgnoramus

*A couple of Gibson's, a cord, some dunlop picks and some cornbread...
              http://www.youtube.com/user/DR440

Comment

Another short answer: don't do it.

Just look at the responses in this and every other thread like it that's ever been posted here. Half the people say one thing, the other half say the opposite.
                Originally Posted by knucklefux

let me tell you something, **************************************** ...

Originally Posted by TheEsupremacy

Why do you always come off like you're so much better than 100% of the people on this planet? Truthfully, are you God?

Originally Posted by Hardvalve

He seems to be slightly retarded, and easily provoked.

Originally Posted by gorebreath

my dad is a homo

The Rub on Facebook
                The Rub on MySpace
                The Rub on Soundclick
                The Rub on ReverbNation

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by PlayboyChris
                  View Post

Another short answer: don't do it.

Just look at the responses in this and every other thread like it that's ever been posted here. Half the people say one thing, the other half say the opposite.

I'd believe the people who can produce graphs and don't rely on anecdote
                  DCC Engineering. Custom Cabs and Effects.

Originally Posted by -Assy-

Okay I summed up this entire thread in three posts. Let's go home and beat our children.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, all!

Comment

Working...
                    X