Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to push an 8 ohm cabinet with a 4 ohm head?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it okay to push an 8 ohm cabinet with a 4 ohm head?

I've read contradicting statements online. Thanks in advance.

Ive done it with a SS amp before but i really like to make sure the ohm rating is the same with tube heads.
    www.lastchanceisrock.com

Brand new cd ...And Then It Rains now available
    here>>> http://cdbaby.com/cd/lastchance2

And also on iTunes and Napster

Rogue Analog Delay $25 shipped

Good traders: KLeeneX, Solcat, DARKMETL/,Procreatur,TheAmazingBlob,SnoMan97,Steve the Hero, NITROHOLIC, jrcorp,madryan,iblastoff,Doctor Morbius,teletaylor

Bad trader ontariomaximus(Randy Fay of Phaez Amps)

Comment

No problem at all.

You can always go higher but never lower.
      “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
      -Rachel Carson-

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by dparr
        View Post

No problem at all.

I believe this is generally ok. Just makes the amp work a bit harder. I used a 8ohm Mesa .50 Cal head for a long time with a Marshall 16ohm cab with no issues...
        My gear thread:
        http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=1625196

www.myspace.com/zedthez
        www.myspace.com/pusserqchc
        www.myspace.com/distemperqchc
        www.myspace.com/rocketparkrip20042008
        webcast of ZED:
        http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2375190

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

View Post

No problem at all.

It never fails. Sigh. With tube amps, it really depends on the amp. You can't make general assumptions one way or the other. Check the owner's manual.

Solid state amps will have a minimum impedance. Anything equal to, or higher than the minimum is okay.

Comment

I used to use a 1400w 2ohm Class D subwoofer amp in my car wired at 0.5ohms...It was fine for over 6 years and was loud as ****************. I don't recommend it, but it can be done. It really just depends on the amp.

Personally, I wouldn't do it with a tube amp as components are much more sensitive and volatile then solid state components.
              My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
              Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

I used to use a 1400w 2ohm Class D subwoofer amp in my car wired at 0.5ohms...It was fine for over 6 years and was loud as ****************. I don't recommend it, but it can be done. It really just depends on the amp.

Personally, I wouldn't do it with a tube amp as components are much more sensitive and volatile then solid state components.
                My project: http://www.myspace.com/humanconspiracymusic

Bogner Ecstasy 101b :: Blackstar HT5-H :: Trinity Triwatt DR103 clone (Click to view build thread)
                Bogner 4x12 :: Genz Benz 2x12 :: Homebuilt 2x12 loaded with (2) Weber FC12's for the Triwatt

Great Transactions: Skaaks, Skunx, CARRguitar, Zacman0126, theweight, heatfromcold, Ricky Bobby

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF
                  View Post

It never fails. Sigh. With tube amps, it really depends on the amp. You can't make general assumptions one way or the other. Check the owner's manual.

Solid state amps will have a minimum impedance. Anything equal to, or higher than the minimum is okay.

I've never heard of a amp (tube or SS) where you can't use a higher ohm cab.

If you know of one please share.
                  “One who loves & understands nature will never be alone & will never be afraid.”
                  -Rachel Carson-

Comment

In some cases that is an OK mismatch,but it does not apply to all amps. I know Mesa usually says it is ok with their amps, but I know some Marshall's and older Fenders can be ruined in offset ohm loads. What amp are you wanting to do this with? Most modern amps can handle the higher mismatch, but I would still make sure.
                    Great deals with: Draco Aron X 2 , Holy War, Edge of Darkness X 2, freehandarson, Chrisjd, Yo_Squig, Crank, Abstract, xnatex, Norton666, JSilverstein, Elemenope, moop, Ricky Rockhardo

Originally Posted by madryan

That's the problem with Marshalls... They cut right through.

"

B.) Bending a woman over and seeing sphincter art is pretty much a clear signal that she wants you to salt the Devil's Onion Ring.

Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

Kinda how I quit drinking for a long time. That was lame so I started again

Comment

View Post

I've never heard of a amp (tube or SS) where you can't use a higher ohm cab.

If you know of one please share.

Any tube amp into an infinite load (aka no speakers hooked up) is asking for a new OT, especially with insulated output jacks (Marshall). SS can tolerate this, but will likely damage output transistors running into a very small load.

Comment

older Fenders can be ruined in offset ohm loads.

I recently learned this. Evidently there's a lot of old 4 ohm Bassmans out there with replaced output transformers. Story goes some OTs were produced that were closer to 2 ohm spec than 4. So if plugged into an 8 ohm cab, the mismatch is even worse. They are tough old amps but they can only take so much. So most experts will tell you its best to run your tube amps to the specified cab load so as to not overwork the OT. It will last a lot longer.

Comment

I've been told you can go 4ohm into 8ohm or 8ohm into 16ohm. But not 4ohm into 16ohm. And definitely never ever higher amp impedence into lower cabinet impedence.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.
                          Look how hard my heart hurts.
                          I need help, give me the works.

Originally Posted by Neilrocks25

I haven't been drunk on sale for a long time either.

Originally Posted by telephant

You sound like an uptight loser and I suspect you have a lot less friends than you claim. Also, your wife is probably a fatty.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx
                            View Post

I've been told you can go 4ohm into 8ohm or 8ohm into 16ohm. But not 4ohm into 16ohm. And definitely never ever higher amp impedence into lower cabinet impedence.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

Just partly, going low into high can be risky for some tube amps, esp older ones.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim
                              View Post

Just partly, going low into high can be risky for some tube amps, esp older ones.

yes, with tube amps many times you are somewhat safer running a lower impedance load than higher.
                              tlbonehead@yahoo.com
                              www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
                              -For Sale:
                              -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
                              -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
                              - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
                              - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
                              - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X