Soldano Hot Rod 100+ or Mesa Tremoverb ?

blckbldng

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by blckbldng View Post
I dont need a clean channel, I just need a mid heavy rock/metal tone

and in before "get both"
Do you have the opportunity to try them each out?

What cab will you be running with either one?

The Soldano sort of sounds like a hot rodded marshall, but still has it's own thing going on. For what it's worth, I found the ToV lifeless compared to the HR. That's me though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
Do you have the opportunity to try them each out?

What cab will you be running with either one?

Belgium is quite small but the sellers live on opposite sides of the country. About 2 hours drive from me.
Maybe I can ask my brother for his company car (free gas)

Anyway I watched almost all videos available on youtube and the only good sounding soldano vid I can find is the Ola one. Its good but it is true he makes all his amps sound a bit the same.
I could find great clips of dual rectifiers but maybe I could get tired of that whoop whoop tone each time you strike a low chord.

• Members
Belgium is quite small but the sellers live on opposite sides of the country. About 2 hours drive from me.
Maybe I can ask my brother for his company car (free gas)

Anyway I watched almost all videos available on youtube and the only good sounding soldano vid I can find is the Ola one. Its good but it is true he makes all his amps sound a bit the same.
I could find great clips of dual rectifiers but maybe I could get tired of that whoop whoop tone each time you strike a low chord.
The reason there's more good clips of DR's than HR's is because there's just more DR's out there.

I'd go try out the Soldano at least. You know what Dual Rectifiers sound like.

• Members
I know how dual rectifiers sound although I never played one. Sometimes I see people playing who get a great tone out of it and some other times it is just plain awefull.
I havent heard a soldano in person. Is it too close to a JCM800 sound that I should rather look at the boogie ?
The Trem-o-verbs are pretty awesome. They are my favorite of all the Rectifiers. They just need to be loud to sound great though IMO.

The Soldano HR's are good amps also. They do have their own thing going on over a Marshall but with you already owning a JCM 800 that you boost I don't know if it would be a drastic tone change worth the buy.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jlb32 View Post
The Trem-o-verbs are pretty awesome. They are my favorite of all the Rectifiers. They just need to be loud to sound great though IMO.

The Soldano HR's are good amps also. They do have their own thing going on over a Marshall but with you already owning a JCM 800 that you boost I don't know if it would be a drastic tone change worth the buy.
good point, I am going to try that tremoverb. I know it is stupid but I have avoided mesa rectos all that time not only due to the inflated European price but also because of the cheesy metal plate. The tremoverb has cloth.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jlb32 View Post
As does the Soldano, more so than the T-Verb IMO (having owned an HR50 and currently own a T-Verb).

I don't think the Soldano would be redundant with the Marshall, as the former has a low-mid grind thing going on whereas the Marshall has that signature upper-mid crunch.

The T-verb will be more versatile, and the only channel that has that cliched DR tone to my ears is the Modern High Gain, and it can be dialed out.

• Members

for me it would boil down to good tone with versatility vs {censored}ing awesome tone with limited versatility.

The versatility is simply from the mesa being multi-channel. If you don't need the versatility of multi-channels, Soldano all the way

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Kardula View Post
for me it would boil down to good tone with versatility vs {censored}ing awesome tone with limited versatility.

The versatility is simply from the mesa being multi-channel. If you don't need the versatility of multi-channels, Soldano all the way
The Hot Rod 100+ is a two channel amp, just like the Tremoverb, so there's really no difference as far as versatility goes. The only real difference is the Hot Rod uses shared EQ, whereas the Tremo has dedicated EQ for each channel.

Archived