OT: Your own mortality and when it's acceptable to be comfortable with it

PlayboyChris

• Members

So I haven't been coming by this forum much recently, but yesterday I noticed the pinned thread about gdwill2u's situation and it instantly put me in a particular headspace that's probably not common or popular.

I'm 46, in relatively good health, and while I didn't achieve great success in any of it, I pretty much have done everything I've set out to do. Aside from {censored} like doing a backflip, running an untra-marathon or splitting the atom, and I didn't have any particular interest in accomplishing any of those things anyway. But you know how people often say "I can die a happy man" after they've done something, or wish they'd done something? I legitimately feel that way about most of the stuff I've done in life.

That's why I'm comfortable with the end coming for me at any time, be it five minutes from now or 50 years from now. I'm not doing anything to hasten my demise; I see my doctor every six months, do my best to follow his advice, and get out of bed every morning with the intent on making the most out of the day in front of me.

But if at my next checkup the doc told me I had a terminal disease, I feel pretty confident that I'd be at peace with it and ready for the transition (as confident as someone can be without actually finding themselves in that situation, anyway; kind of like how some guys say they'd storm an assailant with guns-a-blazin' during a home invasion when in reality they'd be sucking their thumb in the fetal position under the bed).

So, what's my major malfunction for thinking this way? Is being okay with one's own inevitable exit from this Earth reserved for those who've already been given a death sentence? Or are there actually people out there who share my outlook?

Interested in reading everyone's input. And Happy Holidays to all.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm comfortable with it in the sense that I know it's inevitable. That in itself gives me a bit of comfort. But there are a number of things I would like to do before my time is at hand. So I will rage against the light as long as I am healthy and able to do so. It's also why I am working out like a freak, modifying my diet and getting ready to put the bottle down. Maximizing whatever youthful years and spirit I have left is the most important thing to me right now. Not working on my pool game and pounding 30 packs.

I'll be 40 in about three weeks and I have been doing some serious life inventory for a little while now. Most all of the dead weight and useless people have been shed. I'd rather keep my circle small, deep and of high quality. Instead of infinite and shallow.

• Members

I'm comfortable with it in the sense that I know it's inevitable. That in itself gives me a bit of comfort. But there are a number of things I would like to do before my time is at hand. So I will rage against the light as long as I am healthy and able to do so. It's also why I am working out like a freak, modifying my diet and getting ready to put the bottle down. Maximizing whatever youthful years and spirit I have left is the most important thing to me right now. Not working on my pool game and pounding 30 packs.

I'll be 40 in about three weeks and I have been doing some serious life inventory for a little while now. Most all of the dead weight and useless people have been shed. I'd rather keep my circle small, deep and of high quality. Instead of infinite and shallow.

• Members

To be succinct, I'm 54 and still lust for life. I'm comfortable with my passing, will embrace it when my time comes, but until then I'm fighting for my right to be here and to enjoy it on my terms. I avail myself the spectrum of experiences that are available to me, making opportunities where I can rather than waiting for them. Every day there are opportunities to set and achieve new goals, {censored}ing awesome. Could say so much more but I'm not being paid by the word.

tl;dr: Life is awesome, best thing I've tried so far.

• Members

To be succinct, I'm 54 and still lust for life. I'm comfortable with my passing, will embrace it when my time comes, but until then I'm fighting for my right to be here and to enjoy it on my terms. I avail myself the spectrum of experiences that are available to me, making opportunities where I can rather than waiting for them. Every day there are opportunities to set and achieve new goals, {censored}ing awesome. Could say so much more but I'm not being paid by the word.

tl;dr: Life is awesome, best thing I've tried so far.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

I'm not. I still feel like I have a lot to accomplish. I want to raise my sons the best I can, and see them grow up to be functioning healthy adults. Several other things as well, but that's the big one.

Exactly, and I certainly cant speak for him by any stretch, but I dont think Gdwill would say he was "ready for it" either, up until the point that it was obvious that it was inevitable. That was just part of the grieving process that each individual has to go through in this circumstance.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy

View Post

I'm not. I still feel like I have a lot to accomplish. I want to raise my sons the best I can, and see them grow up to be functioning healthy adults. Several other things as well, but that's the big one.

Exactly, and I certainly cant speak for him by any stretch, but I dont think Gdwill would say he was "ready for it" either, up until the point that it was obvious that it was inevitable. That was just part of the grieving process that each individual has to go through in this circumstance.

Archived